KJ pet peeves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have things they dislike about the KJ?

I'll start:

I'm a shooter and the only way to carry my guns is to put down the back seat to fit my case. When we go camping I either have to carry my case on the trailer or I am limited to which weapon I take. I like to take the sniper rifle and the M4. The M4 fits nicely in the cargo floor box, but thats it.

And fishing rods, mine are all one piece. They have to lay across the seats for now. I'm trying to find a way to carry the rods horizontally on the safari basket.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My major pet peeve is the lack of good back-up lighting.

I shoot at the range every week and no problems since I am using a revolver and an auto. My 336c fits fine in the back unless my fishing poles are in back. Then I have to juggle stuff around. All my poles break down except 2. I have no problems with any of them, except I am pretty sure my salt water stuff won't fit but the ocean is 300 miles from here anyway and I havn't been there with my fishing stuff anyway.

Dave

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to make a pole rack for the brush bar, maybe 2 alum. holders that I can attach somewhere on the bar. My light gear will have to go on the safari rack. I think that if I buy 2 sets of those plastic rod holders that you mount on the wall and find a way to mount them on the basket so that the rods point forwards. Right now, I use a 6in PVC tube with one end capped and the other end with a threaded cap, I just take off the reels and slide the rods in the tube. The tube attaches to the side of the safari basket. But its gaudy white, maybe if I sand and paint it to match the Libby. That would be kool.

I am going to take off the spare and see if I can find a way to weld/bolt a bracket that would extend just beyond the spare, then attach two flood lights for backing up. We spend ALOT of time out in the wilds and that would come in handy. I'm just trying to decide if a light on each side of the spare would look OK. ANY THOUGHTS?

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. the hum from the ****** at low rpm's and low speed, although I'm getting to where I don't notice it as much.
2. I have to push back on the driver's window so that it goes up after I lower it all the way down(looks like the infamous window reg. problem) I'll keep doing this until it's absolutely necessary to replace the regulator.

Other than those two things, I love my Liberty.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1. It's not level. Maybe it's my shocks/coils
2. Passenger seat travel
3. the 4speed ******

That's about it...

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel filler. Real pain to fill the tank, as it cuts out every 2 litres or so:(
Storage is a bit restricted, but I got round that by fitting Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seatcovers and just whack on as many MOLLE pouches as I want:))
These are small niggles though, both my wife and I love the car and would very happily buy another if something happened to this one!

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
1. TQC Lockup engages WAY too early (hum noise you hear at low RPM).
2. Must have blower motor ON for HVAC; no cruising speed vent.
3. No window weather stripping where there really should be some.
4. No "in radiator" transmission cooler; has separate cooler (spikes temps).
5. Got to remove A/C lines to change valve-cover gaskets.
6. Rear Glass noise while driving (bumps, pot-holes)

That's all I got off the top, I am sure I can find more...

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have things they dislike about the KJ?

I'll start:

I'm a shooter and the only way to carry my guns is to put down the back seat to fit my case. When we go camping I either have to carry my case on the trailer or I am limited to which weapon I take. I like to take the sniper rifle and the M4. The M4 fits nicely in the cargo floor box, but thats it.

And fishing rods, mine are all one piece. They have to lay across the seats for now. I'm trying to find a way to carry the rods horizontally on the safari basket.

I use bungees to put my fishing poles up on the edge of the headliner. Bungeeing them to the handles in the 2nd row seats, and on the passanger side A pillar.

Its not pretty but it gets me out to the water hole. and leaves room for my subs.

(there is always fishing with dynomite... it fits easily in a box in the back, That might even work for hunting, depending on what animal your looking for.)

jcollinsia

Reaction score
The only pet peeve that I have so far is that the gas overflows every time I fill it up. I've tried putting the handle in differently and that doesnt seem to help. Grrrrr.....

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I have a few to list.

As much as I like my Liberty, it has some downsides:
1. Gas Overflow - huge problem, many others have same issue, dealer told me to be careful when i fill it up (BS!)
2. Space - it was understood during the time of purchase that it was a smaller Jeep, but there's not even space on the dashboard to put a notebook (as well as the mediocre storage space in the back)
3. OD at 45mph - too early, usually when im on an on-ramp and am accelerating
4. Seatbelt Light/Beep - I own the vehicle, I should be able to control beeps/lights at MY convenience (not trying to start a seatbelt safety thread)

These are the biggest I can think of, I'm sure there are a few more.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty more Pros than Cons with the Liberty, but this thread was opened for a reason...:).

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get s seatbelt light but no ding!! What year is yours? Mines an 02...I wear my seatbelt all the time anyway but I still neverheard a ding...

I too seldom have the fuel overflow problem, but very seldom and it only happens at one station. Of course thats the station closest to the house! But, I can usually over come by holding the nozzle at a wierd angle.

I don't have any other issues, she's been pretty good to me and it belonged to my parents prior to gifting to me. They did have a ****** replaced under warranty..

Oh, I forgot....I do have a light flicker issue. the Odometer flashes occasionally and the overhead lights would come on by themselves. the overheads stopped but the odometer still flicks to bright and back to dim every once and awhile.Anyone have that issue

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In no particular order:

1. What powerslave said about fan blower. Fan always runs, or you must turn entire system off leaving no natural vent.
2. Clunky transmission, but I live with it.
3. Manual levers for seat reclining get stuck and locked, have to yank hard to release seat back.
4. Vents don't close off like on other cars. (A little thing, but still)
5. Open diffs (my model)
6. Lack of other gauges (Oil pressure, volts etc.) only idiot lights.
7. Rear seatbelt locks get covered up by childseats, making it difficult for children to buckle themselves in. (this is much a complaint about childseat laws as it is the liberty)

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I have a few to list.

3. OD at 45mph - too early, usually when im on an on-ramp and am accelerating
4. Seatbelt Light/Beep - I own the vehicle, I should be able to control beeps/lights at MY convenience (not trying to start a seatbelt safety thread)

Curious...doesn't your KJ downshift out of OD when you are accelerating on the ramp? Mine does whenever I push the pedal hard to accelerate. I have the 45RFE so that might be the difference.

As far as turning off the seatbelt light/chime, you're pretty much splitting hairs, no? After all, aren't we impelled by law to wear our seatbelts??? & i'm not trying to hijack this into a seatbelt safety thread either, but there are liability issues that manufacturers are exposed to.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. TQC Lockup engages WAY too early (hum noise you hear at low RPM).
2. Must have blower motor ON for HVAC; no cruising speed vent.
3. No window weather stripping where there really should be some.
4. No "in radiator" transmission cooler; has separate cooler (spikes temps).
5. Got to remove A/C lines to change valve-cover gaskets.
6. Rear Glass noise while driving (bumps, pot-holes)

That's all I got off the top, I am sure I can find more...

You can fix #2 since you have a 2006. I did on my 04 using a 05 hvac control.

you can fix #4 if you want too. The 02's had in rad coolers. :)

Read your owners manual. That was the first thing I turned off. :)

ohh, and I would rather you wear the seatbelt. If you hit a pole while Im on the sidewalk I would rather not have a body hit me. hehe :)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[...] odometer still flicks to bright and back to dim every once and awhile.Anyone have that issue

Instrument lights don't flicker on their own in my car. But when adjusting the brightness, it's not a clean process. They flicker a little while adjusting the dial-- probably not a well made switch with clean connections inside. But once set, they never flicker.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instrument lights don't flicker on their own in my car. But when adjusting the brightness, it's not a clean process. They flicker a little while adjusting the dial-- probably not a well made switch with clean connections inside. But once set, they never flicker.

I have both those problems. I just don't notice stuff like this cause the Liberty is the first car I had a working horn in, first car that had working A/C, first car from a year later than 1986. Thats why I dont notice the wind noise from the driver side door, or the rattles that are starting to come from the tailgate, or even the failed speed-o sensor (over a year without a speed-o). I love my jeep.. :cool:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both those problems. I just don't notice stuff like this cause the Liberty is the first car I had a working horn in, first car that had working A/C, first car from a year later than 1986. Thats why I dont notice the wind noise from the driver side door, or the rattles that are starting to come from the tailgate, or even the failed speed-o sensor (over a year without a speed-o). I love my jeep.. :cool:

You said it, brother. Liberty was my first new car. Ever. And, looking at my rather dim financial future, very likely the last one. I grew up in New Mexico and never had a car with air conditioning. So you can pry my airconditioning from my cold, dead hands.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Odometer flashes occasionally and the overhead lights would come on by themselves. the overheads stopped but the odometer still flicks to bright and back to dim every once and awhile.Anyone have that issue

Mine did this for awhile too... then the battery died. :( Since the new battery, it hasn't been an issue.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For sure JeepJeepster, I turned off the seatbelt chime when I first got it, but I just think it's dumb that it beeps non-stop until you buckle it up (when enabled, i think 2004+). Even when turning off the chime, the light stays on without wearing the seatbelt!

Anyways, yes, by law its required, but that opens up a huge cans of worms we don't need to get into...

I also was going to mention that the vents within my dash kind of "slam" shut a few seconds after I turn off the heat, anyone else have that?