KJ Gone To Clunkerville

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know about that. from the bill i read, the entire vehichle cannot be resold. not even 1 part of it. now im sure it doesnt stop some places from doing so, but to my understanding of it, the whole thing cannot be scrapped for parts. they are crushed and sent out as scrap metal overseas. very very sad indeed. follow the money and youll see whos getting the most out of this whole deal. i would have gave $4500 for it just to have a spare sitting around....of course things could have changed in the bill.
Since 90% of the claims are being denied anyway they can sell those parts,everything but the engine.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well guys, after five years with a KJ, and 8 before that with a Cherokee, I've gone Subaru Forester. My wife the boss, said she wanted to get some clunker money, I miss my Jeep already and it's only been a few hours. I always liked the comraderie here on KJ Country and enjoyed helping out where I could, and in return learned a lot more about my Jeep than I could anywhere else.

I'll stop in now and then to say HI.

valvestem

Too bad you had to trade in your Liberty!
I'm glad my wife Jennifer loves our KJ as much as I do, and she likes all the
modifications and upgrades he have done so far and looks forward to the
future mods as well!
She even works on it with me!

Good luck with your Subaru Forester, they are nice vehicles when new!
But when they are out of their warranty period, they are very expensive to repair!

My ex-wife proclaimed that she was the boss as well...

So she insisted that I get rid of my Mini Ralley and trade it in...
So, I ultimately traded her in for a younger better looking model that's more fun to drive and got rid of the old used, bagged out model, HER!:D
Jen and I are equal, we are both the boss 50/50!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
So, I ultimately traded her in for a younger better looking model that's more fun to drive and got rid of the old used, bagged out model, HER!:D
Jen and I are equal, we are both the boss 50/50!

Isn't that kinda how a marriage is supposed to be, anyway?

Oh crap, this is my 8000th post. And no I'm not on medical marijuana. I've just felt like posting lately. :p

Since 90% of the claims are being denied anyway they can sell those parts,everything but the engine.

Because 90% of those people are not eligible in the first place!!!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the loop hole is that if the claim doesn't get paid on to the dealership then the dealership can sell the vehicle as a parts vehicle but the engine still can't be touched. Around here they are painting the motor green or red before putting it out in the salvage yard to stress that the motor is off limits. The salvage yards also can't resell the entire vehicle as a repairable or such, it has to be parted out one piece at a time in that case.

We have one salvage yard here that built a side lot and call it their new U-Pick-It lot, and most of these vehicles that can be salvaged are showing up in that lot, that way they don't have to inventory and show the paper trail for every part, they can just say it was put in that lot and parts were bought by the people who removed them. They even supply wheelbarrows so you can go in and just haul it out and pay so much per wheelbarrow, etc.

As long as you don't try to take one of those painted engines everything else is game. I have been keeping a close eye on their inventory list for that lot, if a KJ shows up i'm going down with my trailer and i'm going to strip that sucker!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we can get back to the original topic for a moment - is the new Subaru Forester qualified (vs the '03 KJ he gave up) for CARS?

Wait a minute, they are letting people replace a clunker with a clunker??

Whats the point if you trade in for a vehicle that isnt any better gas mileage wise??

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Supposedly the loop hole is that if the claim doesn't get paid on to the dealership then the dealership can sell the vehicle as a parts vehicle but the engine still can't be touched. Around here they are painting the motor green or red before putting it out in the salvage yard to stress that the motor is off limits. The salvage yards also can't resell the entire vehicle as a repairable or such, it has to be parted out one piece at a time in that case.

We have one salvage yard here that built a side lot and call it their new U-Pick-It lot, and most of these vehicles that can be salvaged are showing up in that lot, that way they don't have to inventory and show the paper trail for every part, they can just say it was put in that lot and parts were bought by the people who removed them. They even supply wheelbarrows so you can go in and just haul it out and pay so much per wheelbarrow, etc.

As long as you don't try to take one of those painted engines everything else is game. I have been keeping a close eye on their inventory list for that lot, if a KJ shows up i'm going down with my trailer and i'm going to strip that sucker!
The Ford dealership down the street from where I work is LOADED with CARS program cars. Explorers, Full Size Vans, I even saw a 4Runner, few Jeeps. But nothing depressing, all these vehicles are all pretty old... and used. I think the newest one had to be the '90 something Chevrolet Express.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford dealership down the street from where I work is LOADED with CARS program cars. Explorers, Full Size Vans, I even saw a 4Runner, few Jeeps. But nothing depressing, all these vehicles are all pretty old... and used. I think the newest one had to be the '90 something Chevrolet Express.

I don't mind seeing old vehicles getting nuked...

We were up north for vacation, up around Duluth mostly but also up to Hibbing and Virginia. A lot of the dealers up there have these big dumpsters on the lot with a couple vehicles sticking out of them as part of the advertisement campaign. One over in Superior Wisconsin had an 80's Wrangler in the dumpster, front end first with the rear sticking up in the air. Shame, because even though it was old it actually looked in nice shape body wise, no rust.

But it seems like most of the dealerships had old Jeep Wagoneers and Cherokee's coming in on the program. There is a lot of Chrysler dealers up there and the Jeep lines are pretty heavy in that area. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing dozens of different Jeep models.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
LOL...

ThunderbirdJunkie's grampa has an 09 6 speed base Vette.

all highway, he says he gets 32-33.

City

He says about 5 or 6 nana.gif

It's all in Aerodynamics. Something our Jeeps don't have a bit of!

I don't even want to know what my uncle gets in his '07 Z06.

It will probably depress me.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that kinda how a marriage is supposed to be, anyway?

Oh crap, this is my 8000th post. And no I'm not on medical marijuana. I've just felt like posting lately. :p

Because 90% of those people are not eligible in the first place!!!

And yet the first batch of money ran out in no time. Imagine how fast it would have gone had everyone been eligible?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck dude..

Ahhh, I just looked out the window and saw my Jeep... Went and started it just to waste some gas and to hear the exhaust..:D

At least the stupid program is over.. :rolleyes:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Mmmmmmmmm...no car payment...tastes good...worth more than $4500...mmmm...not spending $375+ a month on a car payment PLUS gas....just $180/mo gas...

AND RUNNING SHIT OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Win.

Why'd you have to drag this back up Blake :p

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mmmmmmmmm...no car payment...tastes good...worth more than $4500...mmmm...not spending $375+ a month on a car payment PLUS gas....just $180/mo gas...

Win.

Priceless....

DiscoStu

Reaction score
Valvestem - I think you will enjoy your Subaru once you get to know her. I drove one for 11 years, 200K+ miles and was about to trade it for another one. I test drove one and liked it enough and saw a Liberty on the lot, too. I decided on a whim to take it for a spin. I liked it just a little better. Never drove a Forester, but I like the way they look. There is a forum similar to this for Subaru's here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/

Good Luck with it. Subaru's are great cars, too.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Win.

Hehe, I couldnt resist. I must of missed it the first time around.. :)

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valvestem - I think you will enjoy your Subaru once you get to know her. I drove one for 11 years, 200K+ miles and was about to trade it for another one. I test drove one and liked it enough and saw a Liberty on the lot, too. I decided on a whim to take it for a spin. I liked it just a little better. Never drove a Forester, but I like the way they look. There is a forum similar to this for Subaru's here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/

Good Luck with it. Subaru's are great cars, too.

Thanks DiscoStu, as you can see, I'm taking a lot of heat for going Sooby, and clunkerizing the Jeep. Believe me, it was not an easy decision. But I had been down the road before, and for personal reasons had to make the move now. I am at the age when this may be the last car I have to buy for myself.