KJ Cross bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tuneberg

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I made a set about 5 years ago and they worked great for transporting surfboards, kayaks, snowboards/skis, etc.

However, I'm looking to throw a few bike racks on top and am a bit worrisome about transporting $15,000+ worth of bikes on my little DIY bars.

What do you y'all think? Are the previously-mentioned DIY bars adequate?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I made a set about 5 years ago and they worked great for transporting surfboards, kayaks, snowboards/skis, etc.

However, I'm looking to throw a few bike racks on top and am a bit worrisome about transporting $15,000+ worth of bikes on my little DIY bars.

What do you y'all think? Are the previously-mentioned DIY bars adequate?

I would be more concered with the cheap/ weak stock roof rails with 15,000 dollars worth of bikes up there

righopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give the whole system a once over. You'll want to consider ability to safely secured/deter theft I would think, probably more of a risk than a bit of wind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...What do you y'all think? Are the previously-mentioned DIY bars adequate?
The bars I put on mine will outlast the rails.

I would be more concered with the cheap/ weak stock roof rails with 15,000 dollars worth of bikes up there

And that would be my concern, too. I did the crossbars the way I have them to get the whole works closer to the roof. The added strength was just a bonus. The limiting factor now when it comes to weight are the rails themselves.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The bars I put on mine will outlast the rails.

And that would be my concern, too. I did the crossbars the way I have them to get the whole works closer to the roof. The added strength was just a bonus. The limiting factor now when it comes to weight are the rails themselves.

Yes the stock roof rails are a joke at best. Sure you can add some type of cross bars that are strong as all he** but still doesn't address the rails.
I had drilled holes in my stock rails, had 1/2 inch all thread going through 1 inch steel gas pipe same height as the rails themselves. Still didn't trust them