KJ Bobtail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another Land rover inspired modification idea. For the more extreme and daring modder, has anyone bobtailed a KJ, as with range rovers? Chopped the chassis shorter, so it becomes a 2 door, and perhaps shorten the rear overhang. And a lift, solid axles, and knobbly tyres. Damn it'd look good.

Cheers!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm sheltered. I never heard of that before.

Interesting idea though.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a google search for bobtailed range rover, or range rover bobtail or even substitute rangie for range rover. Should give you a few pics. They look really cool, one lives nearby us.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ENBr said:
Another Land rover inspired modification idea. For the more extreme and daring modder, has anyone bobtailed a KJ, as with range rovers? Chopped the chassis shorter, so it becomes a 2 door, and perhaps shorten the rear overhang. And a lift, solid axles, and knobbly tyres. Damn it'd look good.

Cheers!

In most US states this would probable be illegal. Sort of when people turned old station wagons into pickups when the bodies rusted out.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue KJ in PA said:
I think it has been done and at the same time the made it a convertible

Yes, IIRC, it was two years ago at SEMA. It was a funky blue/white urban camo job that was two doors w/ removable top. Or was it the all blue one and the camo one was a 2 door hordtop? hmmm....... so much for IIRC?!

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like our KJ are pretty close to that way already. If you look at the rear wheel to bumper distance and not the rooflines that are way different, it doesn't look like anything more than a Rock Liz rear bumper is needed to get the same thing.

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...that convertible is pretty neat...I dunno if I would buy it though...I am not big into the convertible thing. However, I think a 2 door, short wheelbase KJ would look pretty cool.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, not really a bobtail, more of a ragtop. Still about the same length though?

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've had time - so I've photoshopped my KJ into a bobtail. Don't bother commenting on the image quality or my editing - I really couldn't be bothered: see what you think...

You must be registered for see images

Although I think the Rangie looks better as a bobtail.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ENBr said:
Well, I've had time - so I've photoshopped my KJ into a bobtail. Don't bother commenting on the image quality or my editing - I really couldn't be bothered: see what you think...

You must be registered for see images

Although I think the Rangie looks better as a bobtail.

HAHA, that crazy.

That would be dangerous to drive though. Would probably flip like no other. :-k

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:p It does look comical, but I was thinking more on the lines of:

You must be registered for see images attach

with a KJ body :)

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably be better off buying a Suzuki Samurai. You can do more with their suspension as well.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#-o I just noticed the door & rear quarter panel on the Rangie. Where the door & qtr meet, they are square, that makes the Rangie mod much easier.

On the KJ, the rear door wraps around the rear wheel, so they are not square. IF you did this, you'd have to cut apart & weld together the front & rear doors. My bet is that would look much worse than the photoshop job O:)

the KJ is probably too round & curvy to make the bobtail work right.