Keeping the Front Diff from exploding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qbracken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read horror stories about people off-roading and blowing their front-differentials because thier front wheels hit the ground spinning to quickly.....
Since I have an ESP equipped vehicle, will I be able to avoid this sort of thing? The brakes apply to any wheel that's spinning (except when in 4-Lo), so I am hoping I might be a little more immune to the horror of this...

Thx!

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a collar that is supposed to help but it has never really been tried or a Detroit Tru-Trac helps thats what I went with, plus it makes a HUGE difference when off roading

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of anyone with ESP, having their diff blow. Not that it hasn't happened, but I haven't heard it.

I have seen them blow on 05's and earlier.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read horror stories about people off-roading and blowing their front-differentials because thier front wheels hit the ground spinning to quickly.....
Since I have an ESP equipped vehicle, will I be able to avoid this sort of thing? The brakes apply to any wheel that's spinning (except when in 4-Lo), so I am hoping I might be a little more immune to the horror of this...

Thx!
Having ESP does not reduce your chances of exploding your diff,it's been mostly older KJ's but ESP did not come on a KJ until '06 so many with the newer KJ's haven't modded very much as the older ones have.That's changing so you may here a front diff in a ESP equipted KJ blowing.

Well 99% of the time when you lift a front wheel you are in a place that needs 4low(you should be in 4low).A Detroit TT or a ARB locker will greatly reduce the chances of your front diff exploding.I wheel the s#$t out of my KJ and I had a TT upfront and never broke my diff,I did break a CV joint though,better then a $1400 diff.Those collars are not worth is since you need a 100% perfect fit and they need to be welded on to make any difference,they can actually cause more problems then fix if over-torqued.

When I wheeled with the TT upfront I would always apply the brakes a little,first reason was to fool the TT into locking,second reason is to keep my speed down so if I did raise a front wheel(which was often) it would not be spinning fast when it touched the ground again.

I sold my front diff with the TT in it to a '06 CRD KJ'er,will update how it works with the ESP after he wheels it some.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that when you were in 4lo, your ESP is automatically disabled. (06-07 MY)???

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ESP wont keep keep a wheel from spinning, traction control will though.

Something Ive noticed about the traction control is it wont keep the wheel from spinning. The wheel spins then it decides to kick in and stop it.