jeep wheel spacers*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And they do, such as adapters are illegal and of course spacers are as well

And dually trucks are illegal too? Is there an notwithstanding clause for factory adapters? What about dealer-offered dually conversions like Centurion (Ford) using non-ford adapters?

Or is that law kind of vague? :happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Now you are mixing in things that come from say Ford as original equipment, they are not a conventional adapter at all . Bolt on differently etc
Not vague at all
Again talking about two different things
aftermarket are the spacers and adapters we have been discussing, what you are trying to bring into the conversation is something entirely different that comes stock on a factory built vehicle.

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why factory or aftermarket would matter. Both bolt-on between the wheel and hub.

I'm curious... can you quote some inspection guidelines indicating which spacer/adapters are exempt?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
PENNSYLVANIA CODE;
Subchapter E. PASSENGER CARS AND LIGHT TRUCKS § 175.65. Tires and wheels.
(h) Spacers. Spacers or similar devices thicker than 1/4 inch may not be installed to increase wheel track.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
not sure why factory or aftermarket would matter. Both bolt-on between the wheel and hub.

I'm curious... Can you quote some inspection guidelines indicating which spacer/adapters are exempt?

what you posted for dual wheel on rear of trucks bolt onto the rear differential itself

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
UTAH MAKES A DISTINCTION BETWEEN " SPACERS" AND " ADAPTERS " FOR EXAMPLE FROM WHAT I HAVE FOUND AND READ, PENNSYLVANIA , ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU GET TO INSPECT I HEAR. PLUS THERE ARE A COUPLE OF OTHER STATES i THINK AS WELL

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys.... laws will very not only from state to state, but also note that u2slow is in Canadiaville... and speaking from a legality perspective there, that may be different than south of his border... in the US.

An important distinction when someone is saying that something "IS" illegal... perhaps or perhaps not, depending on the municipality. Generalizations like this can take away from the point you are trying to make.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what you posted for dual wheel on rear of trucks bolt onto the rear differential itself

I mean the front.
OE front dually adapters bolt on.... that's what I posted a pic of earlier. Here's the Centurion style... its more like a spacer with stud/nut extensions.
https://www.plowsite.com/threads/dually-conversion.76493/#post-715921

tommudd said:
PENNSYLVANIA CODE;
Subchapter E. PASSENGER CARS AND LIGHT TRUCKS § 175.65. Tires and wheels.
(h) Spacers. Spacers or similar devices thicker than 1/4 inch may not be installed to increase wheel track.

Now we're getting somewhere. It writes nicely, but it also allows spacers/ adapters so long as the track width doesn't increase. One can legally complement a high backspace wheel with an adapter and fall within the law. However, I question the sanity of up to 1/4" (slip-on) spacers as they're often made of crap cast pot metal.

Steel vs aluminum.

The reason.

If that's the reason, where is it stated? And if its true, then steel adapters on a Jeep would be a legit alternative?

Guys.... laws will very not only from state to state, but also note that u2slow is in Canadiaville... and speaking from a legality perspective there, that may be different than south of his border... in the US.

It's different province by province just like it is state by state. I had to post Ontario's inspection guidelines because BC's aren't public domain - you have to purchase access or a printed copy of the material. Most of the provinces are aligning themselves toward similar standards.

The whole thing with a law is it applies evenly to everyone within the jurisdiction. Turning a blind-eye only because the factory put them on (i.e. dually 1-ton) doesn't fly. The written law would have to denote or infer an exception for factory equipment.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Laws are generally written pretty well, what is vague is those that enforce those laws

I have worked and followed laws, rules and regulations for the past 20 years set forth under HUD ( Housing and Urban Development ) and IRS ( Internal Revenue Service ) guidelines and same thing people claim some are vague. BUT if you read the complete law and not just one line a lot of times it is very clear.
But seems like in some states , things are left to sort of slide, the law is good, but not those that should be inspecting or enforcing do not do their job.
But whatever been fun , now getting old. If you ever see me close to a vehicle with spacers/ adapters just know I'm not the one driving or riding in it .
Have a good day Gentlemen

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New York Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules and other sites make me just give up following things to a T
Just glancing state to state , it seems illegal doesn't always mean unsafe.
Tint is illegal , so is not having a front license plate. Other states it's perfectly legal. Cuomo said tint isn't safe and required tinted windows to fail inspection.

Exhaust cut outs? Aux lighting. Lift blocks etc. it's all ridiculous and varies state to state. One would assume safety would take precedence when making vehicle laws but it makes me wonder how tires can be driven bald when we have snow 4-5 months of the year and it's dangerous to everyone else on the road, causes roadblocks, traffic and accidents. No tickets issued for the morons who cause all the weather related accidents and hold ups.

Again. It's more about safety to me but I still haven't seen any failures besides due to obvious cheap manufacturing or user error

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New York Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules and other sites make me just give up following things to a T
Just glancing state to state , it seems illegal doesn't always mean unsafe.
Tint is illegal , so is not having a front license plate. Other states it's perfectly legal. Cuomo said tint isn't safe and required tinted windows to fail inspection.

Exhaust cut outs? Aux lighting. Lift blocks etc. it's all ridiculous and varies state to state. One would assume safety would take precedence when making vehicle laws but it makes me wonder how tires can be driven bald when we have snow 4-5 months of the year and it's dangerous to everyone else on the road, causes roadblocks, traffic and accidents. No tickets issued for the morons who cause all the weather related accidents and hold ups.

Again. It's more about safety to me but I still haven't seen any failures besides due to obvious cheap manufacturing or user error

Every single state has laws making any tire under 2/32" of tread depth as "illegal" and yes you can get a ticket for it but again most cops don't even know the laws and never enforce it.

You have federal laws(DOT) and then state laws that add to it.

DOT laws(federal)..........

HID lights in halogen housing = illegal in all 50 states and most other countries also.

State laws................

Here in CO you must have windshield wipers but do not require a actual windshield,and back home in SD you must have a windshield but the wipers are not required.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we have Ontario and Pennsylvania figured out, maybe we can start a sticky in this sub-forum for laws regarding wheels, tires, spacers, etc?

That and they are DOT approved,which by the way can cost $500,000 and why those crap spacers you see for $200 or less state "for offroad use only".

So your state allows spacers if DOT approved, but not otherwise? Some googling around suggests that wheel spacers/adapters are not a DOT controlled product.

I have 3 sets of spacers, none say 'offroad use only'. Nor do the stock '95 Dodge dually adapters have a DOT marking I can find.

Laws are generally written pretty well, what is vague is those that enforce those laws

I have worked and followed laws, rules and regulations for the past 20 years set forth under HUD ( Housing and Urban Development ) and IRS ( Internal Revenue Service ) guidelines and same thing people claim some are vague. BUT if you read the complete law and not just one line a lot of times it is very clear.

I have worked for a number of years with electrical code & regs, and now in the marine industry (passenger vessels). About 15 years combined. Regulations for these fields is climbing steadily.

There is no doubt a lot of effort and thought that go into these... but there's disconnects between intent and language. Enforcement then becomes difficult because which is it? A great example of a common local infraction is to receive a 'notice and order' for exhaust repair due to excessively black exhaust (rolling coal). Some might argue its an emissions infraction... but that may not even apply on an older vehicle. Its actually a tuning issue, but there isn't a regulation targeting that specifically.

Wheel adapters are allowed in my province (and other places), and most dually pickup use them too (factory). That's all the assurance I need for safety. The rest up up to my workmanship and regular checks, just like anything else on the vehicle.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a American vehicle sold in a American market everything it came with from the factory is already 50 state legal in the US,thus DOT approved.

Everyone's website with the instruction manuals state it very clearly,even spidertrax does.

Ummm... its a mexican truck sold to a canadian market, but whatever. I can't pull a part number off them at all.

My point is, none of these parts are marked for road use or not, they don't need to be, and they're legal in many areas regardless.

Latest posts

Members online