Jeep to loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still say
You want a "Cadillac" then buy a "Cadillac"
You want a Jeep then live with the down side
We are talking about a $25k front engine rear
drive 4X4 compact SUV
That sits 12" off the ground and has the stuff on
the under side tucked up out of the way
Now you could try Dynamat but if you have drive
line noise it will get worse
The Dynamat will seal the noise in due to the
unibody design

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had considered dynomat but that was going to be a audio project for the coming summer.

@tommudd... sorry for snapping. Its so hard to understand emotion on forums or any message based communication system.

@tjkj2002... I wouldn't take you seriously if you had a quiet KJ lol.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well...
After ripping through some absolutely awesomely wicked backcountry forestry service roads for the better part of today (We are now waiting for the rest of our party to join us as we sit here at the campground and consume alcoholic beverages enjoying the peace and quite!)
Our KJ was just howling between 4300 too 5200 RPM!
Yes, ours was quite loud as well!
But then again I think our factory stock muffler is pretty much spent with it's 237,866.9 km on the clock!
The can looks good but I'm sure the mufflers innards are all burnt through to a crisp!

So yeah Mike, I can relate to what you are saying...

But it's a Jeep, so suck it up dammit!!!:D

Cheers all!

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man my KJ is not loud enough.

Key to a "not so loud" Jeep is to have a Detroit 8V92TA crack in half while standing on it while force feeding it water from a fire truck when it's running away at 8000rpm's(long story),then get blown up twice in a armored HMMWV.After all of that(if you live) then you can straight pipe it and run Interco Boggers and not hear a thing.

Again my KJ is not loud enough.

Similar story for me too. I still enjoy Route Clearance though :) And if the windows aren't down, I don't hear a thing ;)

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man my KJ is not loud enough.

Key to a "not so loud" Jeep is to have a Detroit 8V92TA crack in half while standing on it while force feeding it water from a fire truck when it's running away at 8000rpm's(long story),then get blown up twice in a armored HMMWV.After all of that(if you live) then you can straight pipe it and run Interco Boggers and not hear a thing.

Again my KJ is not loud enough.
I would like to hear the fire truck story. Were you a firefighter at one point?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
When I first got mine I felt the same way Mike ... not because I didn't like it .... my hearing is only slightly better than Troy's (with a blast of tinnitus for good measure) but because I actually thought something was wrong with the exhaust. It was only slightly quieter than my 93 Tracker with a cracked manifold... lol

I made the mechanic look the entire exhaust over while I stood there (took it for an inspection before buying) ... he said the same thing " It's a Jeep that's how it should sound" :D It wasn't long before I didn't notice it anymore.

Cheers,

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol ry'n jen I was waiting for you to chirp in. I'm surprised yours has lasted that long. At least the exhaust was designed to last in these things. I think one of my problems is that I use to enjoy driving, back when I was living down in southern Ontario. Now I hate it! every drive is soooo long. Maybe that's why it bothers me more. I don't enjoy driving the jeep up here. Home for the summer was fine, average trip was about 15 minutes. I dunno if anyone can relate to that.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait until my stock muffler falls off so I can run out and but a Cherry Bomb.

Even though my Libby is an automatic I like to hear the engine revs not to call undue attention to myself as I drive down the road/trail but just to let me know how well the engine is running.

If you want a quieter muffler than visit a muffler shop and get it up on the hoist. You likely have an exhaust leak somewhere.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Minimike, I don't have anything to add (sorry, but I don't know much about exhaust systems) but I have to ask...

Um...

If getting groceries is a 5 hour trip...

Where the heck do you work? Or are you retired? I'd imagine that if your job was near, then some, ANY store would be nearby?!

I do agree though that the KJ's exhaust system is loud. In the KK, a resonator was added to tone it down. Maybe see if you can add one of those to help?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Every two to three weeks I drive 5 hours to my parents and land that I have down there, most times never even have the radio on since i like to listen to the engine and tires.
but then I like to drive, always did, longer the better

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer you Marlon I work in a community called Lac La Croix, Between Thunderbay and Fort Frances in Ontario. It is 2.5 hours one way to Fort Frances and 5 hours one way to Thunderbay. The highway that connects them is Highway 11. I live 80km off of highway 11. The 80kms is a horribly maintained gravel road for logging companies. It take about 90 minutes to drive the 80kms.

I actually just drove to Thudnerbay today (wife is flying back in tomorrow) And I blew a tire and ruined a license plate. Great DAY! lol

Just google map the name and zoom out a bit
Google Maps
Lac La Croix, Ontario

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear the fire truck story. Were you a firefighter at one point?

I was replacing the injectors on the 8V92,if you have ever done this you have to get it perfect or the engine will run away on you.Of course you have to have the valve covers off and start the engine with the valve covers off.Was almost finished and went to lunch and someone thought it would be funny to mess with the buffer switch(automatic runaway messing with that) and of course after lunch I fired up the engine and it ran away.We have a special 1" thick steel plate with a 1/2" thick rubber pad on it that we place on the turbo inlet if we get a runaway 8V92 and it usually stops the engine in 2-3 mins.Not this one,cut all 7 fuel lines,still was running away(using the oil as fuel,it's a 2 stroke).After about 25mins it started on fire as the valve covers were off and spraying oil,did I mention it was in a building at the time? Had to call the fire department then.When they arrived they put out the fire enough so I could throw the valve covers on to keep it from catching fire again.By this time the engine had been running at 8000rpm's+,and it's a 736 cubic inch diesel,for about 45mins.My CO gave the order to kill it by water injestion.The fire department would not do it so I had to jump up on the engine and kicked the plate off the turbo inlet(not easy) and started force feeding the engine with water.After zbout 60 seconds the engine hydrolocked and the block cracked in 4 pieces.Was a nice loud bang and I was standing right on top of it at the time.The idiot fessed up to messing with the busffer switch and he had to buy a new engine(about $55,000) instead of me.

my hearing is only slightly better than Troy's (with a blast of tinnitus for good measure) ,
Got that to,gotta love that constant ringing.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure it's not your tires causing the noise that's bugging you? May not be a decibel problem but maybe a frequency problem.
The snow's coming soon so you'll know for sure. :icon_frown:

markc

Reaction score
Often times, if you replace the muffler with one designed to make less sound, (more quiet) you run the risk of losing horse power. There is a system designed for ATV's called the stealth exhaust (or something like that), and it makes the exhaust note much less noticable. However, the horse power decreases a noticable amount. Good luck.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poormans Dynomat. Goto Lowes and they sale self adhessive peel and seal, used for sel at a fraction of the cost. Someone on the Ford Falcon forums hinted this as a cheaper alt to Dynomat..

>>Lowes Website to the Peal and Seal<<

What I would suggest is to add a layer of sound proofing would be to drop your exhaust from the cat backwards. Then use some rinoliner or something equal and put a layer all over that area, that will give some sound deadening and also some barrier protection. I had some POR15 and went paint crazy under my Liby.. But the thickness of that wont do much for deading sound.

As mentioned above you may look at your **** to see if it is shot / rusted.

As for those who say if you wanted it to ride like a luxuary car you should have bought one. Well Same could be said, if you wanted it to drive like a Rubicon should have bought one. Mod it the way you like. I seen a guy lift his Liby to get 20" on it. Each their own.

We are Americans. If it wasnt for us Hot Rodders there would be no SEMA and would be illegal to mod your Jeep. So Mod away..

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
So much negativity on this forum..... I was hoping for healty help and good talks over this. but what I am being told is, its a jeep suck it up...

Now if i wanted what everyone else wanted which is loud and annoying I would get all sorts of friendly faces with their polite views and maybe some helpful links.But because I am going against the ahem "grain" of this forum I get nothing but negative feedback....

I will stop trying. Thanks for the reply's.

links for what?

"Hey guys, my Jeep I bought which I test drove before buying makes too much noise."

So yeah, suck it up. Friendly faces abound here, but if you have a stupid question, you get a stupid answer.

Crank up some Deep Purple. If it's too loud, you're doing it wrong. Jeez, some of the people nowadays used to dead silent luxury sedans and such are such pansies nowadays.

You know what drew ThunderbirdJunkie to the KJ?

THE FACT THAT HE COULD HEAR IT AT IDLE.

Go start it and sit behind it while it idles. The 2002s at least have a nice throaty rasp with the stock exhaust.

What the hell did you do 20 years ago when vehicles weren't so quiet? Seriously, dude. What's wrong with you?

It's a ******* JEEP. It's pantywaists like you that are making modern Jeeps unJeeply. Stop buying ******* Jeeps if you don't like the Jeep things that come with them.

Go drive a 1979 CJ-5 with a 304 V8 and a 3 speed.

Oh, wait, you're whining about noise. You probably wouldn't have the first clue what to do if there was a long lever sticking out from the floor with some accordion rubber thing around the bottom and a third pedal.

Here's a ******** suggestion:
If you don't like how loud it is when you stomp on the go pedal, STOP DOING SO.

Recalibrate your stupid whiny eardrums

Grow some *****

sit on the open end of a five gallon bucket so your testicles have room to drop

IT'S A JEEP.

Here's a topic

"HEY GUYS, MY BRAND NEW LEXUS IS TOO QUIET, HOW DO I MAKE IT LOUDER? IT WAS NOT PAINFULLY OBVIOUS WHEN I TEST DROVE THIS VEHICLE THAT IT WAS NOT THAT LOUD"

Jesus. It's too loud? What the hell have you been driving, electric cars with quintuple pane windows? Houses? ThunderbirdJunkie thinks his grandfather's 2007 Buick with 30k miles is louder than his 187,000 mile, 9 (almost ten) year old Liberty with aggressive tires. What's wrong with you?

God help us all, you bought a five year old Jeep and you're whining about noise. It's not like you've grown accustomed to two-year-old Mercedes S-classes...the hell did you drive before that was so damn quiet?

If this noise is so disturbing, how do you deal with the wind whipping by your windows during a storm? Seriously, dude, quit being a fairy and dip your sack in some Rogaine, because it's blatantly obvious that something is missing from the equation, and it sure as shit isn't silence.
I live 80km off of highway 11. The 80kms is a horribly maintained gravel road for logging companies. It take about 90 minutes to drive the 80kms.

Really? REALLY? You're whining and ******* and moaning about EXHAUST NOISE when you live anywhere NEAR a road like this? What the hell is wrong with you?

Last edited:

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll ship you my tires - I already can't hear shit.. Can barely hear my super 44 with the windows down at 3000 rpm

yet, for some reason, after driving for 30 mins on the highway I become completely tone deaf for about 3hrs - I'm fairly certain this would resolve your issues with your loud muffler

let me know where you want them shipped to

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ThunderbirdJunkie, you missed my point, I don't feel like arguing with a philistine.

@JeepinJarhead03 way to follow others... again philistine....

I don't feel like arguing, I mean post if you want but you won't get anywhere. Possibly a report for abusing a forum??

Status
Not open for further replies.