Jeep lift CRDSTU 2.5" - What is the max largest Tyres without re-gear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 Renegade 3.7L V6 is going in for a 2.5" CRDSTU Lift on Monday, its also getting Als Upper A-Arms. I was thinking of putting on a set of new wheels and tyres at some point, I have the standard 16" Renegade wheels with BF Goodrich All Terrain LT235/70 Tyres on at the moment.

What size could I go without needing to re-gear?

I was thinking of also switching to the Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheel.

Specifications: -12 mm offset and 3100 lbs. load capacity
Backspacing: 4 in.
Load Capacity: 3100 lbs.
Wheel Diameter: 16 in.
Wheel Width: 8 In.

So any options for both wheels would be greatly appreciated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stay with a 7 inch wide wheel, less issues with hitting the flares/rubbing etc
Also 245-75-16s is the largest I would go without a regear

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tommudd, Do you perhaps know what a re-gear costs roughly?

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, will need to hold off on that for a while then, can’t justify spending more than 5k on it at the moment, hopefully everything that’s been done to it will make it more fun and reasonably usable on our beaches.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, will need to hold off on that for a while then, can’t justify spending more than 5k on it at the moment, hopefully everything that’s been done to it will make it more fun and reasonably usable on our beaches.

Yea, $5K will get you started - we're just never really done with our Jeep mods, are we? :Big Laugh:

You will notice a difference in power when you go to the 245's - don't use your overdrive unless on extended, flatter sections of highway where you'll be approaching 100 km/hour. The engine will "lug" and the trans will be shifting back and forth between 3rd and overdrive if you don't switch it out at lower speeds and hillier terrain.

To save some money start looking at the wrecker yards (junk yards for those of us in North America :cheers: ) for a 4 cylinder KJ - if you find one get the front differential and rear axle out of it as they have the 4.10's in them from the factory. If the km/miles are relatively low and the parts look to be in good shape you can save a lot of money by swapping in those parts vs a regear of your diffs. If you do regear your diffs eventually, maybe consider getting a rear locker such as a Detroit Tru-Trac. Will really help in deeper, softer sand there on your Aussie beaches.

Be sure to post pics of yours when its out of the shop. Cheers!

Bob

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and info Bob, I will certainly look into it down here, yards with Jeeps are a little scarce in these parts. I must look into that air locker too.

The jeep went in this morning for its CRDSTU List, JLA Arms aftermarket ****** Cooler, and a few other bits. The ARB bar isn’t ready yet so will need to go back in a week or 2 to fit that.
Do you know if the ARB bar needs to come off to fit a winch?

decibelchild

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lift

My 2005 Renegade 3.7L V6 is going in for a 2.5" CRDSTU Lift on Monday, its also getting Als Upper A-Arms. I was thinking of putting on a set of new wheels and tyres at some point, I have the standard 16" Renegade wheels with BF Goodrich All Terrain LT235/70 Tyres on at the moment.

What size could I go without needing to re-gear?

I was thinking of also switching to the Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheel.

Specifications: -12 mm offset and 3100 lbs. load capacity
Backspacing: 4 in.
Load Capacity: 3100 lbs.
Wheel Diameter: 16 in.
Wheel Width: 8 In.

So any options for both wheels would be greatly appreciated.

i cant wait to see your work bro :)

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
decibelchild, I'll post some pics as soon as its back :) from the first stage fit. Super excited to go tear it up a little, Got the K&N air filter in, must say huge difference in power need to put in a less restrictive catback now to give it even more torques, was thinking of a magnaflow, hard to find here though, anyone else know of a good catback available in Australia?

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant wait to see your work bro :)

Here is a close up of the JBA A Arm and CRDSTU 2.5" installed

Will post some better picks of it later when i have a moment to snap them :)

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online