2012 Jeep Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gerry54

Reaction score
This post is for all those Liberty owners like me that cannot find any information on line when it comes to what is the largest tire that will fit a newer model Jeep Liberty. My vehicle is a 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport. I searched on line for answers and photos for some time with little luck. I ended up doing my own research by trial and error trying different wheels and tires to see what would fit. I hope this post helps those Liberty owners out there thinking about a better look for their Jeep along with a better off road tire then the factory stock 225/75 16's Goodyear Wranglers. To start, I like the old school Jeep look and that is why I went with the 8 hole wheels. I had a Jeep CJ5 when I was a kid with the same style wheels and I always liked that look. There are not allot of wheels out there to chose from for the newer Liberty's. The Liberty comes standard with 7x16 aluminum 5 spoke wheels. The problem starts with the wheel off set which limits what wheels you can put on a Liberty. I wanted to put the largest tires on that I could without adding a lift kit and or any modifications to the wheel wells or fenders. I also wanted to have the wheels match the black colored crinkle coated trim that came standard on the liberty. I was able to find some new 8 hole Carlisle wheels with the right off set in a 8x16 all steel wheel for $99.00 per wheel. I liked that they were steel instead of aluminum which made them stronger. I also decided to go with an 8 inch wheel instead of the 7" the Liberty came with so the tires would widen out some for a better look. The only problem was that they came standard in gloss black or gloss white only. To solve the problem I brought the wheels to a powder coating shop so I could match the trim on the Liberty. Being that the wheels were new, the shop owner told me that the cost would be less because there would be less prep work on the wheels. I was only charged $60.00 a wheel instead of the $75.00 going rate. With the wheel problem solved I looked at tires. I tried 245/75 16"s, but found that they were to big and would rub within the wheel wheels. The largest tire I found that would fit without any modifications to the wheel wells or fenders was a 235/70 16. The tire I decided on was the BF Goodrich MT Km 2. I liked the look of the tire and the performance on and off the road. I read at allot of reviews and most all were positive. The cost of the tires through Discount Tire was $245.00 each. I have only had the tires on the Liberty for less than 500 miles but I am very happy with them. I live in northern Wisconsin where the winters are cold, long and usually with 60' or more inches of snow per season. The new tires will be an added comfort as we draw closer to winter here. I have found the tires to be a little louder on the paved roads then the Goodyear Wranglers that came with the Liberty. Given the tires tread design that is to be expected. I found them to be only slightly louder though at lower speeds, on the highway I did not notice any difference. Harley Davidson has its classic muffler sound that you think of with the motorcycle, I have always thought of the classic tire sound with 4-wheel drive vehicles.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
hate to be the one to say it but 7 inch wide wheels work much better than 8s
PLUS the fact that 8 inch wide wheels are too wide for a 235-70-16 , pulls the sidewalls out too much
But good luck, more reading would of netted you less issues and could of ran larger tires on 7 inch wide wheels

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$245 for OE sized tires:idiot:,sorry couldn't help myself,really that is a total rip off for KM2's that really are one of the worst performing MT's on the market.You over-payed for the BFG name.

I spent way less then you for 35" tires,my set of MT/R K's(35x12.50x15's) ran $200 each and my set of Destination MT's(315/75R16's) ran $177 each.

Latest posts

Members online