JBA Adjust-A-Struts Total Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the JBA Adjust-A-Struts Total Control front coilovers.

There's a choice of HD springs or normal if don't have the CRD.
I've been running the HD OME springs in front for almost 100K miles now.

What's the recommendation on spring choice for the JBA Adjust-A-Struts?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the JBA Adjust-A-Struts Total Control front coilovers.

I'd go HD coils always
Better ride quality and if you ever add heavy attachments upfront it won't sag as fast
But, someone with the Adjust-a-Strut can give you better info as I just have OME

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you have aftermarket bumper and winch would stay with the normal
Little bit of difference between choosing between the coilovers and OME shocks
Not always the case of heavier duty equals better ride when dealing with two different setups.
Have ran both ( OME and The JBA coilovers) and " had" the JBA coilovers on my 04 and as well as the 03

Last edited:

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ride is better overall with the JBA's than the OME's to me. Don't get me wrong though, the OME's when I had them took a hard bump/drop in the road like a champ. The JBA's have a smoother ride. They're adjustable as well for the ride height.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tom - if you don't have any plans to add a bumper and/or winch I'd go with the HD version.

Absolutely love mine - great ride and I've been able to tune them to give the ride I like. There's a different feel to the front end and I'm working with Rev. Mudd to figure out how to get a set of the rear Total Control shocks to work with my lift. Definite difference between the front and back on my KJ where with the OME in the front the ride was similar.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When I first installed first gen JBA coilovers one of my KJ buddies went for a ride and his remark was " The OME lift is fantastic, ride is way better than stock and on and off road it is so much better riding than stock ever was. BUT...........this adjustable coil-over beats it every way to Sunday. Where with the OME you feel the Liberty go up and over a bump, the coil-overs just absorb it, you can actually feel the suspension working as you hit holes, speed bumps "

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first installed first gen JBA coilovers one of my KJ buddies went for a ride and his remark was " The OME lift is fantastic, ride is way better than stock and on and off road it is so much better riding than stock ever was. BUT...........this adjustable coil-over beats it every way to Sunday. Where with the OME you feel the Liberty go up and over a bump, the coil-overs just absorb it, you can actually feel the suspension working as you hit holes, speed bumps "

BINGO!! :waytogo:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TwoBobsKJ you meant wouldn't go with HD right? I'm not doing a bumper or winch.
I've run the 927 OME for almost 100K. I've gotten used to the jarring ride of these. Absorbing the bumps sounds nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've run the 927 OME for almost 100K. I've gotten used to the jarring ride of these. Absorbing the bumps sounds nice.

I used the regular ( not the ones for a CRD ) on the 04 with the ARB, then with the RL front bumper with no issues at all . I have the regular on the 03 as well , but of course with no aftermarket bumper............yet:gr_grin:.
But yes go with the regular ones and you'll love the ride, difference between the OME and the coilovers is the same as going from stock worn out springs to OME

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Right - I went with the CRD springs (or HD as it were) because I have the ARB and winch. In your case I WOULDN'T go with the CRD/HD springs - just go with the standard coils.

What Tom quoted from his friend is so true. When I rode in Tom's '03 this spring I couldn't believe it - we were driving on some typical Ohio roads (i.e., potholes, frost heaves - you know the drill) and the ride was completely different from mine with the OME. And I've always LIKED the OME setup - didn't have any complaints. But the JBA system is so much better - Marlin's marketing is spot on.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Which are you going for the 2.5 or 4 inch??
If going for the 2.5 get the rear adjustable shocks as well, yes more money but it really is just plain awesome as far as the ride goes .
After I finally got mine completely dialed into my liking, the ride is so smooth on the road. Took her back through the hay fields/ across some old corn fields and down across the pasture field a couple of weeks back. Doing 45-50 and could of went even faster ..........smooth.........well there were a couple of cow paths that I forgot about how deep they were:emotions34::happy175:

Off topic but that has always amazed me that cows will create paths out around hills, across the fields and they all walk in that path to the barn and back.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going for 4" lift. I'd like to also get jba rear springs eventually and shocks too of course.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Going for 4" lift. I'd like to also get jba rear springs eventually and shocks too of course.

I know everyone wants to hit that magical number of 4 inches, BUT I'd sit them about 3.75 or so , with the progressive springs the higher you go the rougher the ride so 3.75 or not quite 4 seems to be a sweet spot for most
But like I said everyone gets sucked into wanting/ needing/ dreaming of that 4 inch height ! :happy175:
Oh I know I wasn't even happy at 4 had to higher on the 04 LOL

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know everyone wants to hit that magical number of 4 inches, BUT I'd sit them about 3.75 or so , with the progressive springs the higher you go the rougher the ride so 3.75 or not quite 4 seems to be a sweet spot for most
But like I said everyone gets sucked into wanting/ needing/ dreaming of that 4 inch height ! :happy175:
Oh I know I wasn't even happy at 4 had to higher on the 04 LOL

right with you. For me about 3.5 would be good as I think 4 is a bit too high and I don't want to stress the front cvs too much.

Now, on that note, are the 4" springs (red ones) for the rear OK to use or are they too much for under 4"?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
right with you. For me about 3.5 would be good as I think 4 is a bit too high and I don't want to stress the front cvs too much.

Now, on that note, are the 4" springs (red ones) for the rear OK to use or are they too much for under 4"?

They will be a little higher for a while, but will settle in about 3.75 or so after a while , I used an extra iso plus the Monroe Load levelers to maintain 4.25 inches in the back ( of course had the RL bumper etc )