JBA 4inch lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the 4 inch jba lift. I really like it but it's a daily driver 5 days a week and offroad one day a week and I beat the crap out of it.

I keep up with my friends on 35s/37s no problem.

I love the adjustability. I can make it right great on the street and then turn 2 knobs and adjust it for the terrain I'm doing.

If I wanna pretend I'm in Baja prerunning I can firm up the compression. If I wanna ride like a Cadillac I can turn it down.

I just wish I went with the fox shocks as they are valved progressively vs the bilsteans degressive valving.

I do get noise from them if I turn up my rebound over setting #9 while offroad. I believe it's the oil going through the valve and makes a squeekish noise.

So you turn them up off road ???
I turn mine down for more flex and softer ride off road

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
245/75r16

Again off road only you're ok, I run 4.10s with same height tires ( 265-70-16s ) on the 03 and does great on and off road.
Still trying to figure why you want to upgrade if only using a very few times a year,

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you turn them up off road ???
I turn mine down for more flex and softer ride off road
If im going fast I up the compression dampening to 5. If I'm just crawling around then I turn them down to 3

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know how it is.... always changing something on it. Honestly I was looking at the JBA 6inch but I seem to remember people saying it wasn't very good and were constantly having problems

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You know how it is.... always changing something on it. Honestly I was looking at the JBA 6inch but I seem to remember people saying it wasn't very good and were constantly having problems

Have never read that and been on here and LOST forever
I've driven the 6 inch lifted blue KJ that Marlin has quite a lot, does great, no issues, handles and rides well. Not a fan of a cradle drop but it seems to do alright

Hopefully not reading crap on Fakebook:happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to change things, go this route
JBAs 6 inch coilover kit
JBA steel front diff with at least 4.56s gears front and rear
33 inch tall tires
ARB in the rear
DTT up front
and you'll be leaving your brother/ uncle/ cousin/friends all way back down the trail

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have never read that and been on here and LOST forever
I've driven the 6 inch lifted blue KJ that Marlin has quite a lot, does great, no issues, handles and rides well. Not a fan of a cradle drop but it seems to do alright

Hopefully not reading crap on Fakebook:happy175:
Maybe I'm thinking of another 6inch lift.....did rough country make one?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm thinking of another 6inch lift.....did rough country make one?

Rough Country had one that was a total failure
Bad from the get go , several people lost huge amounts of money on that POS!

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We stopped selling Rough Country due to losing money on warranty work. The holes for the lift pieces would stretch out. Cheap Chinese Junk Metal...smh

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats why I have always refused to even install some companies lifts, ( plus all spacer lifts ) , so much junk out there, companies supplying junk parts, don't fit right/ don't work as advertised.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would you prefer tomm? The jba 4" bronze package or the 4" platinum package? Is the extra $2000 worth it? Or would you go silver or gold? Your honest opinion.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What would you prefer tomm? The jba 4" bronze package or the 4" platinum package? Is the extra $2000 worth it? Or would you go silver or gold? Your honest opinion.

Depends on what you are going to do with it and where you live.
I have the Silver on the 03 and I think it was the Bronze on the 04, have to look to make sure

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting .. the only reason id go platinum is for the fox front struts instead of the Bilstein, i live in South Austin Texas and do average trail riding at least 3 times a month, just ive got no one to do serious wheeling with as I dont have a winch so im not ganna go crazy unless ive got a buddy to pull my ass out, ya know. But im wanting to build up the smoothest on and off road liberty I can, and i was thinking the jba 2.5 platinum, but im starting to lean a little bit more towards the 4" platinum just because i feel like i wont be satisfied with the height of the 2.5, what do you think?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting .. the only reason id go platinum is for the fox front struts instead of the Bilstein, i live in South Austin Texas and do average trail riding at least 3 times a month, just ive got no one to do serious wheeling with as I dont have a winch so im not ganna go crazy unless ive got a buddy to pull my ass out, ya know. But im wanting to build up the smoothest on and off road liberty I can, and i was thinking the jba 2.5 platinum, but im starting to lean a little bit more towards the 4" platinum just because i feel like i wont be satisfied with the height of the 2.5, what do you think?

4 inch Platinum would do great
Just figure in extra to regear right off since I assume you'll be going larger tires
Then after that keeping an eye on the rear tri-link and CVs up front
Ran 4 inches over 100,000 miles, cost more, takes more

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if your telling me to go 4 platinum, hell, thats what im ganna do! I really like a tall skinny tire, so a regear may be in order, but for most part ill probaly stick with my 31's for awhile as im pretty sure im ganna be broke after buying that lift, im only 18 and I work at a pizza shop delivering pizzas, and the liberty is my vehicle soo, yeah. the quality of the platinum should do me wonders off and on road delivering pizzas, haha! of course pizza delivery is only my night job, during the day I do custom fabrication with my dad at his shop so installing this lift should be a breeze.. of course ive never done any real major mechanical stuff to my jeep before as I dont even own a torqe wrench BUT ive done minor things like a new alternator and a new radiator, so I can work a tool or two. all in all ive decided to keep saving my delivery boy money till I hit the $5000 to buy that sucker. probaly ganna take me a year or two, but shoot the lift is ganna cost more than the truck itself lol i bought it for 4400, but lets not even start on the $7000+ stereo system ive developed over the year and half ive owned the Jeep. im really looking forward to see how my jeep looks in 3 years lol either super PIMP or totalled in a ditch somewhere, of course im never getting rid of my kj for the rest of my life, it is my first car and hell it may even be my kids first car too! (sorry to tell my life story lol) hows the 05 treatin ya?

Last edited: