It sits level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Inc

Free
Reaction score
But also has a 79" track width,82.5" overall width.

Interesting, your jeep is 3.5" wider than mine, even without the 1.5" wheel spacers I bought. You measured outside of tire to outside of tire?

I'm not sure how tall my jeep is up to my rock rails, which is where you measured to I am guessing (top of your tool boxes anyway), but it is 81" to the top of my roof.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, your jeep is 3.5" wider than mine, even without the 1.5" wheel spacers I bought. You measured outside of tire to outside of tire?

I'm not sure how tall my jeep is up to my rock rails, which is where you measured to I am guessing (top of your tool boxes anyway), but it is 81" to the top of my roof.
I'm using full width axles,the front HP44 I'm using is 67" WMS to WMS which is something like 7" wider then a HP30,if I used the 3/4 ton HP44 I would be 2" wider since they are 669" WMS to WMS.Plus I'm running 13.50's compared to your 12.50's,helps some.

Track width is outside edge of tire contact patch tp outside edge of contact patch(furthest outboard tire lugs).

And yes I measured from the top of my toolboxes to the ground,placed a long piece of flat steel on the boxes and then measured straight down about 6" from the body side.

Inc

Free
Reaction score
I'm using full width axles,the front HP44 I'm using is 67" WMS to WMS which is something like 7" wider then a HP30,if I used the 3/4 ton HP44 I would be 2" wider since they are 669" WMS to WMS.Plus I'm running 13.50's compared to your 12.50's,helps some.

Track width is outside edge of tire contact patch tp outside edge of contact patch(furthest outboard tire lugs).

And yes I measured from the top of my toolboxes to the ground,placed a long piece of flat steel on the boxes and then measured straight down about 6" from the body side.

I thought it would be wider.

Rock Lizard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be wider.

Don't forget wheel backspacing. I believe Troy's has 4.5" backspacing, and if I am not mistaken, you have 3 5/8" backspacing if you are running MT Classic II's (can't remember if those are the wheels you have but I think you said that). That can help narrow the gap by almost 2", so if running exact same rims that would put you closer to 5.5" of difference instead of 3.5". Just a theory.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang I have to keep growing!
I am only 80 inches to the top of the rails on the very sexy Rock Lizard Roof rack! :D:D:D:D:D Of course my garage door is only 81 so...... have to move and then go HIGHER!:eek:

Looks better everytime I see more pictures of it. Like I have said all along, Full Width is the way to go for sure!

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what all is in those tool boxes on the rack? Whats the height to the roof? How about distance to the bottom edge of the flairs just above the tires? Any pics of the front shock install?

Inc

Free
Reaction score
Don't forget wheel backspacing. I believe Troy's has 4.5" backspacing, and if I am not mistaken, you have 3 5/8" backspacing if you are running MT Classic II's (can't remember if those are the wheels you have but I think you said that). That can help narrow the gap by almost 2", so if running exact same rims that would put you closer to 5.5" of difference instead of 3.5". Just a theory.

Yeah, mine are 3.25" BS and you got the wheels right too.
Glad to know that good BS and some wheel spacers will make a D30 SFA KJ just as wide as a full width setup. I sold my spacers though. Didn't feel I need them after I measured everything and they helped pay for the new locker.

Jeep looks good guys. :cool:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what all is in those tool boxes on the rack?
Recovery gear,jumper cables,1st aid kit,little stuff like that(nothing heavy plus those boxes are like 5lbs each).Might have to find and shorter box that spans the whole rack.

Whats the height to the roof? How about distance to the bottom edge of the flairs just above the tires?
Not sure,probably about 8" lower.Don't know the top of the tire to the bottom of the flair # also but looking like a average of 27" from center of wheel to bottom of flair all around,will know more exact #'s when we get it on level ground.

Any pics of the front shock install?
Sorry no but could take some,nothing special just mounted them to the upper coil plate.

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj....i am in awe of your masterpiece....dude ur upgrades came out to 3x more than i paid for my kj. so beautiful. jealous. keep up the good work man.

Rock Lizard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went outside in the cold and dark and got these for you. :D

Whats the height to the roof?

top of the tool boxes to the highest point on the roof is 7.5", so subtract that from the almost 90", so about 82.5". We will have better measurements when on level ground, I think it is measuring a little taller than it really is with my driveway.

How about distance to the bottom edge of the flairs just above the tires?
about 10" average.

Any pics of the front shock install?
Give me a few to upload and post

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, are you using late 70s Ford alignment specs? Or just zeroing everything but caster?
Actually looking at using alignment specs from a '02 WJ since those use the same steering setup I currently have,and are a SFA vehicle also.That is just for toe anyway,camber will not be adjustable and caster will be dictated by the front driveshaft angle since I will be using a CV front shaft also but trying to keep caster at about 5 degrees.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did Ford front ends that old not have the camber/caster sleeves? Or are you just making it unadjustable?
You can get those adjustable ball joints but those are weak and always loosen up,so I'll pass on those.My caster is adjustable since my long arms are adjustable but setting caster more for drive shaft angle more then anything.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This and the fact that I know of a JK rubicon that got totaled has me thinking
about maybe doing this to the KJ
I was going to get the axles for a swap into the TJ
they are stronger and wider than what I have now but would also make a great SFA
start for the KJ
The JK burned and the owner still has it the axles should still be good and he told me
$1500 for the pair
so maybe if things go well
in 3 years when my wife finishes school
I may SFA the KJ

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just some poser flexing

Well just decided to post some pics of the KJ flexing,just getting the last few measurements for rear shocks and front bumpstops.The below pics are not at full flex yet due to the wrong shocks on the front(which the upper coil mounts will be made to so those shocks will be right).

You must be registered for see images attach

The above pic the rear bumpstops have yet to touch but due to the front shocks being bottomed out didn't want to flex it anymore and ruin them.

Above shows not impressive flex but again when the mods are done will net about 2.5"-3" more down travel on front passenger side and the same amount of droop on the drivers side.