is it me or...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after i put in my new stereo system (sub, amp, speakers, head unit) my lights would dim slightly from the draw of my amp. i also have 6 hella 55w lights installed. i noticed that when i drive with the two hellas on my bumper "on", and with my fogs "on", my lights barely dim if even at all. same when all of my lights are on, head, fogs, and all 6 hellas. i would think the dimming would get worse.

am i crazy?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ASSumption here is that compared to the current draw of the amp, the extra lights are immaterial. They draw plenty of current on their own, but the amount the amp draws is such a large disparity that the difference, in the grand scheme, is negligible.

For example - say the stereo system is pulling 25 amps (I am totally making up these numbers, they are most likely totally inaccurate). Say each light is pulling 2 amps. So, for 4 stock lights you're pulling 8 amps. For the extra two, you're adding 4 amps and that totals 12 amps. The stereo is still over twice that. So, 25+8=33 amps with stock lights, and 37 with 6 lights. That's only a 12% increase in load. The amp is making up 68% of that total draw with the 6 lights.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uh maybe i missed it but does that explain why my lights dont dim with the hellas on or that the hella dont make a big difference overall. i think i understand what you're saying but why would they stop dimming?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many watts is your amp?

With my 400watt amp the lights would dim a noticeable amount which would worsen with the addition of more lights. If I only have my head lights on then you can hardly notice them dimming if any at all. Usually if I had my headlights on, the fogs on, and my two hellas it would dim a lot if I had it turned up and it was a good bass song.

After getting a capacitor the amount of dimming has dropped dramatically but its still there when all the lights are on and theres a lot of bass.

There are many variables as to why the lights dim with the lights on and off in your jeep. Like Atrus said, maybe the amp is pulling so many amps the lights just do not make a difference in the grand scheme of things. A smoother(capacitor) would probably help, it makes it easier on the electronics in the Jeep if anything.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bash, maybe I misunderstood.

Did the dimming diminish with 6 lights running, or did it stay the same going from 4 to 6?

I was thinking you meant the dimming didn't get any worse with the extra lights.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dimming almost goes away with 2 hellas on, and my factory fogs on. with all of my lights on no dimming at all.

i think my amp is 300watts

if i were to get a capacitor whst should i get and where do i put it?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Capacitor can be had from the big box retailers (Best Buy, Circuit City) or Crutchfield or anywhere else. They are wired in between the battery and amp, close to the amp.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got PIAA 520's up front, a 40W X 4 amp and a 200W x1 amp. I can run it all with the headlights and fogs on without any dimming at all. I also have a 160 amp alternator and an Optima Red Top though.

coloradored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same thing! i only really see it as i go down the highway. i can see them dim as the deep tones hit, and my kc's don't even have to be on. i have an optima red top. I'm thinking about finding an alternator out of a renegade.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding a higher output alternator on a KJ will do nothing since the PCM still will limit the power coming out of the alternator.The standard alternator in a KJ is a 136amp one so the Renny 160amp is not much stronger plus some PCM reprogramming is needed to take advantage of the higher output,it's not like the older vehicles anymore with the charging systems.

Since the amp is directly connected to the battery you either need a higher capicity battery or a bigger power/ground wires for the amp.You should be running a min of a 4gauge power/ground wire for something like a stereo amp anyways.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my amp's ground wire is a fat 4g cable, i think i will just get a higher voltage battery. is a capacitor still recomended? i've heard mixed reviews about them.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJKJ - So, in my 2007 Sport (non-Renegade), I have the 130amp alternator. If I was to pick up a 160 amp alternator, it'd still output at the stock non-renegade amperage due to the PCM?

If so, I'll scratch that off my future mod list and live with a 130 amp.