Is CB Radio Still Usefull Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
As a test here in Western Canada on one of our busiest trucking routes, #1 Highway, I tuned into channel 19 and tried to contact anyone...Nope No Replies.
Then into the interior of BC even at truck stops..no replies at all.
I flipped though the dial got some skip coming in and just overall no local talk at all.
This brings me to the next question, what are the trucker's using if not CB?
Ham is definitely one option however....
Most companies now have private VHF FM locally or for hwy -Cellular/data or even Satellite Phone systems tied into their GPS managed systems.
I suppose CB may have a greater use in the USA, I don't know what the status is. Feel free to add your comments.
I know myself I have had base stations with Antron 99/ground plane kits in years gone by. For motoring use I still have mobiles SSB 40 Channels that are tuned up if ya know what I mean...
I have to admit that I no longer use CB today and for vehicle to vehicle or camping hiking etc FRS/GMRS is the way to go with FM clarity, much greater distance & features. Motorola MS350R Talkabouts work well.
I was surprised recently to discover that we have access now to reasonable Satellite phone & data service with Spot Global Satellite phones @ $499 and a 25$ per month contract and up.
I suppose CB still may popular in the USA?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cb is quite popular on all the main roads by me. But really only for information not really communication. Cell phones are used more for same company truck communication.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CBs are still very popular in the northeast on interstates, especially with large fleet operators getting real time traffic conditions from each other.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Midland 75-820 (hand held portable) that I bought a few years ago because I didn't want to do a permenant install and didn't need long range. Works good on trail rides and stuff when others have CB's. Otherwise like you said the frs ones are better and cheaper for that..

I don't use it much anymore. The closest interstate to me is I-87 which goes from Albany to Montreal and I could pick up truck drivers speaking French......LOL

Used it on I-95 and I-80 and I-90 and mostly all the Eastern US interstates and didn't pick up much. There was plenty of truck traffic and I know the range is limited on my portable CB but still should have picked up more talk than I did. Just got some occasional chatter. I noticed they still sell CB's at the truck stop stores.

Just my experience.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya Dave Walkie Talkies..I have a pair of these.. :gr_grin:
This was the only set that really got out and received very well !
With 48" antenna all the way up you can hear all the skip LOL..
50415[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

It has external antenna jack, 12 volt in for car accessory socket or charger w/ Ni-Cads.
It eats 10 AA batteries if you transmit in 5 watt, talk time 30 min does better in 2 watt mode. ..:icon_twisted:

Attachments

• TRC-236CBWalkieTalkie.jpg
    TRC-236CBWalkieTalkie.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Midland convertible for the Jeep. I keep it in the driver's door pocket with the battery pack attached, though I'll grab the attachment that lets me plug into Jeep power and an external antenna if we're traveling with a CB-carrying crew.

Have one hard-wired in the RV with a decent antenna. We get traffic info and lots of compliments on our "about ancient RV that looks like it'd crawl up any mountain" - yep, a truck driver told us that on the PA Tpke a couple years ago. Though with our 20' short wheelbase, 440 and 727 with shift kit, we flew past every truck going uphill that had passed us on the flats. Then we really heard it on the CB :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the CB on trail runs,and going to/from the trails here.Passes the time when it can take 2-3 hours to get to the trail and your convoying.Not a whole lot of CB traffic anymore,not like 20+ years ago since cell phones/GPS became more popular.

Back home we dumped CB's long ago and started using marine band radio's(2000 miles from any major usage of these) so a lot more private and the range can stretch to 100 miles on un-modded radio's.Still have mine but it's not mounted since no one uses them around here.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CB's are pretty big here in Iowa still. There is so much of this state that has no cell phone signal at all. Any wheeling is way out in the boonies so cell phones would be useless. Most of the guys here just use the handheld CB's though not the mounted ones.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only had mine in for a couple of months. I havnt had one since the late 90's. I was really suprised at how little chatter there is. In the late 90's there was so much traffic you could barely talk or stand to listen to it.
It's already saved me from a couple speed traps and traffic stoppages from accidents allowing me to reroute.