2012 homelink and radio problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruderunner

Reaction score
New guy trying to fix the wife's vehicle. She's got problems with intermittent radio reception and poor Homelink range. And they seem related.

A little background. About 2 years ago the Liberty was rear ended, not major with damage to bumper, reinforcement and tailgate. Things were fixed and we went on our way. One day we were out and I asked why she never listens to the radio. She tells me it hasn't worked right since the accident. Course this is months later, why she didn't mention it before?

Anyway, sometimes it works fine then just fades out. Others it has no reception from the get go. This is on am fm, we don't use satellite.

More recently we installed a garage door opener and programmed the Homelink. It sometimes works ok, and sometimes not at all.

I don't drive it often but it seems like when the radio works, so does Homelink. And vice versa. Sure seems like the systems share the antenna but I haven't been able to confirm that.

I have found some information about bad connections on the antenna cable but it seems to apply to the previous generation Liberty. A bad connection sounds like the problem, especially since this seems to have started after a good jolt to the vehicle. Now before I go ripping out the headliner and try to shove my 250lbs under the dash, can anyone confirm the connector locations? Can anyone confirm the 2 systems share the antenna?

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say this is the cause as it doesn't explain the antenna, but I recently looked into and bought a rear view mirror that has homelink system to install into my 2007 (came off a different vehicle than jeeps, but I should still be able to make my own wiring for it, as others have had success).

In my research about homelink, and garage door lift systems, it seems there was an update for security reasons to the coding to open garage doors. A lot of home link systems did not change for years after knowingly it wasn't working, and the fix for most is getting a repeater on the home side of the garage door lift unit.

If both don't get fixed when the antenna situation is solved, the homelink issue has lots of information online.

Ruderunner

Reaction score
To be a little clearer, homelink does work even if the radio doesn't. It just has a 5 foot range.

We had another vehicle and it's homelink worked fine. The remote that came with the opener works fine. I'm ruling out outside causes like interference. This is certainly vehicle specific.