No sound aftermarket car radio please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rede2go

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for anyone who can help me solve this problem i am having installing a radio into my wifes 2006 Jeep liberty. I have tested the radio out of the liberty and it works great so i know the radio is fine. Everything worked fine when i removed the old radio and even put it back in to test and everything works. Now i bought the Metra install kit 70-6503 so i would not have to hackup the factory wires. So onto the problem. After i hookup the wiring adapter the radio turns on but was no sound? So after a bit of testing i plugged a cable from my headphones on my phone to the RCA that normally goes to the back of the radio and i did get sound out, but was not very loud? So i thought maybe the output level was to low from the new radio so i jumped on Amazon and ordered a adjustable 4channel high level-to low level adapter. I installed it cranked all the adjustments to the max and STILL very low volume levels? So im trying to figure out what's going on and once again i went back and hooked it back up to my phone and the sound level was still low and i wondered if the factory amp was getting powered? so i grabbed the key and turned off the car and pulled out the keys and there was no change! it kept playing at the same volume? SO i am here asking you all does that mean that the factory AMP is not getting power? Would i still be able to get sound out of the speakers without power to the Amp? And if so how do i get power to the Amp(s) ? Do i have to splice into the factory 22 pin pin plug? and if so what color or pin number do i use? Please help me internet world. Thank you for reading and i await replies.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Check the connections on the REM (aka remote) wire from the amp to the adapter. It is usually a blue wire, sometimes with a black or white stripe. This wire is how the radio turns on the amp. If you used but splices, redo them. Also make sure there are no crimps or dings.

also, if possible post a sketch of your wiring, like a had drawn schematic- we can help more.

the 2006 kJ parts fiche has full electrical schematics near the end. On on mobile so don’t have the direct link, but search these forums and you will find it.

from the symptoms you describe, the amp is malfunctioning however you may want to test one speaker direct to the deck to ensure the outputs work.

additionally, if you used OE style adapters any where, give them a little squirt of dielectric grease. The third party ones suffer from flimsy contacts.

side note- I solder wires rather than using **** splices or vampire shunts. You may want to consider that. Takes mor time and effort, but ensures excellent audio connections.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Final thought, remove both cables from your battery and let it sit fo fifteen to thirty minutes to do a hard reset. Make sure while you are troubleshooting that the positive cable is disconnected. In short, never work on a live Chrysler harness with the battery connected. Bad things happen if you work on them live.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check if your Liberty has the upgraded Infinity system. In this case, it has external ampifiers, one in each front door.
The Metra looks like it is for this system as it has RCA which need to be connected to the Pre-Outs of the radio.
Otherwise, if you have the standard system without external amps, you should connect the radio's speaker's output to the OEM plug speaker pins, or transform the Metra adaptor accordingly. Check the wiring diagrams and Connector pin-outs.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-YRwEKI0cVL8/learn/2002-2007-jeep-liberty-sport.html This is a good link to see the different sound systems
Installation in standard system
Installadion on 2004 Liberty
I installed a Kenwood double Din on my 2004 Liberty Limited in the same way as the last link above. Mine has the upgraded system with amps on the doors
Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Members online