Ironman lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchsed an 06 limited liberty back in June. It has 137000km now on it. (85000miles) I've done a little off roading with it and plan on lifting it and adding tires come spring. I've been doing my reading here and at lost. What I've decided to do is the Ironman lift with 1/4" clevis and rear upper iso. From my reading I understand this will give me a 2.5" lift and hopefully will retain factory rack look, which I want. If I end up using my Jeep for some more serious trails I will add the extra components to make up Tommudd's econo 3.5" lift from JBA. (A arms, top plate, etc) Couple quick questions.

1. Am I correct in my thought process for overall lift height?
2. Do I need to do anything to the rear brake line?
3. Do I need any other parts?
4. Would a 30.5" tire work well with this set up? (245/70R17)
Thanks,
Alan

s931.photobucket.com/user/72specialized/media/image_zps92e2fd97.jpg.html]
You must be registered for see images attach
[/URL

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Welcome! ....

Nice KJ :D

1. probably a close estimate (over stock) ... but every KJ is different.
2. You'll need the relocation bracket
3. Front bump-stops? A-arms for an easier time at the alignment shop? An Ironman expert will be along shortly ;)
4. My guess, depending on the tire, you will rub on the sway bar and maybe pinch weld, hard to say because the hub position (in relation to the flare) is not exactly the same on all KJs

:cheers:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchsed an 06 limited liberty back in June. It has 137000km now on it. (85000miles) I've done a little off roading with it and plan on lifting it and adding tires come spring. I've been doing my reading here and at lost. What I've decided to do is the Ironman lift with 1/4" clevis and rear upper iso. From my reading I understand this will give me a 2.5" lift and hopefully will retain factory rack look, which I want. If I end up using my Jeep for some more serious trails I will add the extra components to make up Tommudd's econo 3.5" lift from JBA. (A arms, top plate, etc) Couple quick questions.

Thanks,
Alan

[/URL

I'll be doing an ironman lift myself, hopefully this weekend. I'm also using the 1/4" top plate and one ISO for the rear as well. As for shocks, I had to go with OME, as the ironmans were out of stock at the time I ordered, which is no biggie. I'll be going with longer shocks in rear, with puck spacers for my bump stops, and the teraflex bump stops up front. I have an earlier 2005, so I don't have the brake hose issue that you need to deal with, and relocate in back . Since I'm sporting 15" wheels already, I'm going with an aggressive 30x9.5 tire here.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! ....

Nice KJ :D

1. probably a close estimate (over stock) ... but every KJ is different.
2. You'll need the relocation bracket
3. Front bump-stops? A-arms for an easier time at the alignment shop? An Ironman expert will be along shortly ;)
4. My guess, depending on the tire, you will rub on the sway bar and maybe pinch weld, hard to say because the hub position (in relation to the flare) is not exactly the same on all KJs

:cheers:

Thank you Luke for your input. Good to see a fellow Canadian on here and one that is so close.
The other thing I was considering was to take a road trip and go to JBA and have Tommudd's 3.5" lift installed there and be done with it. My reasoning is, by the time I pay shipping and duty to have it sent here my costs would be close to the same as the labour to having JBA put the system in. ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What you are suggesting will work well and won't need the UCAs right away since you're not going too high
As far as the remark about going off road , most everyone has theirs for a DD and only occasionally trail buster so on highway ride and handling is very important which you get with any of the kits .
Check with JBA regarding them installing the kit before you plan that route
If they can't you're closer to me anyways

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you are suggesting will work well and won't need the UCAs right away since you're not going too high
As far as the remark about going off road , most everyone has theirs for a DD and only occasionally trail buster so on highway ride and handling is very important which you get with any of the kits .
Check with JBA regarding them installing the kit before you plan that route
If they can't you're closer to me anyways

Mudd's Garage probably has more experience installing KJ lifts than JBA anyways so you might as well go to his place, right Tom? ;)

Shoot, there's another KJ'er from over on LOST coming to Mudd's Garage next week I think - why not have your stuff shipped to Tom's place and we can have a lift party? :happy160:

(My apologies, Tom, for inviting people to your house. Breaks a Miss Manners rule or something, doesn't it? :bleh: )

Bob

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mudd's Garage probably has more experience installing KJ lifts that JBA anyways so you might as well go to his place, right Tom? ;)

Shoot, there's another KJ'er from over on LOST coming to Mudd's Garage next week I think - why not have your stuff shipped to Tom's place and we can have a lift party? :happy160:

(My apologies, Tom, for inviting people to your house. Breaks a Miss Manners rule or something, doesn't it? :bleh: )

Bob

Hahaha!! Bob, thanks for the invite to Tom's place. Lmao.
Tom, thank you for your input. I have learned a lot about this vehicle from all your past posts. I think that's a great idea having you install the lift and I read somewhere that JBA was doing free shipping till the end of January I believe.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tommudd, I have sent you a pm but I'm not sure if it went through. I am interested in you doing the install for me. PM me if you are in fact interested and I will share my contact info for setting up the details.

Alan

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Alan

[/URL

I posted an update on my ironman lift, if you want to take a peak. It may answer some of the questions in your head.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just found out a friend of mine can get tires for cost through her work. I'm doing the tommMudd econo 3.5 lift come spring and was wondering which size tires?
245/70R17 (30.5) or
235/70R17. I am currently running 1.25" spacers. Love the look of the wheels sitting out a touch from stock.
Also another quick question, is it worth getting the front sway bay disconnects from JBA's ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I just found out a friend of mine can get tires for cost through her work. I'm doing the tommMudd econo 3.5 lift come spring and was wondering which size tires?
245/70R17 (30.5) or
235/70R17. I am currently running 1.25" spacers. Love the look of the wheels sitting out a touch from stock.
Also another quick question, is it worth getting the front sway bay disconnects from JBA's ?

Anything around the 30 inch size would work.
Some will argue on the disconnects, but you really don't gain much at all and it could even hurt you in the long run.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My concern with the disconnects is too much movement and parts that should not be making contact with each other, now are.
Thanks once again for your advice Tom! I think I'm looking at the 245/70R17's.

Alan

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pushing it into the 31 inch range depending on brand/tread design so expect more power and mileage loss

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I have any rub issues with 255/65R17's? Will be lifting with Tommudds 3.5" econo lift and also have 1.25 spacers. I like the idea of these. Little wider with aggressive looks and right on 30" diameter.

Alan

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Probable front fender well rub, with the spacers. Minor (interior) trimming. :waytogo:

... my Duratracs are 30.7 ... they rubbed the sway bar w/out, and the air dam/front fender with spacers... at 4" of lift.

Last edited:

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got my Tommudd 3.5" JeepinbyAl lift installed. Looks awesome. Had it to the alignment shop and checked out, all is well.

I do have a small problem tho and I have no idea what's going on. I have an 06 limited and measured 18.5" all the way around from center of wheel to bottom of fender flare bone stock. With the lift I have 22" on drivers side and 23 on the passenger. Wtf?????......... The upper JBA A arm is touching the spring when going into a pot holes on the right side. How do I correct the 1" extra of lift on the passenger side?????

When I put the system in the frame was on stands and suspension was hanging. All the bolts were put back in hand tight on both sides. I put a bottle jack under each side and lifted the front off the stands from the lower A arms loading the front suspension. Then I torqued all the bolts.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have to tighten everything with full weight on the ground, not a jack, ground.
Loosen everything on the high side, bounce it a couple of times and retighten.
Then get another alignment

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to tighten everything with full weight on the ground, not a jack, ground.
Loosen everything on the high side, bounce it a couple of times and retighten.
Then get another alignment

Thanks Tom

So on the front it would be the clevis bolt, the four top plate bolts under the battery, the two upper A arm bolts and the torsion bar bolt.

On the rear just the top and bottom bolt on the rear shock?

Did I miss anything?

Another quick question..... Am I gonna hurt anything if I drive it for a couple the way it sits?

Thanks.

Last edited:

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I loosened everything off on the passenger side (which is one inch higher) and stood in the passenger door jamb and bounced it like a ****. Nothing. Still the same. Took it over the speed bumps in my neighbourhood and nothing. Still the same. Wish I'd left this f@cking thing stock! This is completely ******* me off. Any ideas? At this point I just want to tear it all out!!!!
$2000 in the toilet.

Alan