Intermittent knocking noise from drivers side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ineedabouttreefiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, just a little curious on a noise here. i drive about 28 miles round trip to work everyday and a few days to college and just took my kj on the longest trip ive had it on since i bought it a year ago(1100 round trip). ive heard this knocking noise thats very intermittent from stop to go and can only hear it in first and second for about a thousand rpm (1000-2000) and narrowed to to what im hoping is the power steering pump but could use some more help diagnosing. ive heard it go off acceleration to deceleration on a turn (driver side only) but i cant figure it out (ive also got a bad clutch in the ac condenser that turns on and clicks when for a few seconds and turns off but a still kicks like a champ) no loss in MPG (had a motor go on me after a rebuild and got 15 MPG) currently getting 18 city/country (3.7) which you all know is damn fine for this vehicle, so i dont think its a rod or bearing especially because i cant hear it ALL the time. i did a motor swap last december with a new water pump and all but kept the same power steering housing and drive belt. ive had two motors take a crap on me with knocking and it doesnt sound anything close to that but at the same time sounds like a verrrrrrry mild one. Any help?

port67

Reaction score
Hey y'all, just a little curious on a noise here. i drive about 28 miles round trip to work everyday and a few days to college and just took my kj on the longest trip ive had it on since i bought it a year ago(1100 round trip). ive heard this knocking noise thats very intermittent from stop to go and can only hear it in first and second for about a thousand rpm (1000-2000) and narrowed to to what im hoping is the power steering pump but could use some more help diagnosing. ive heard it go off acceleration to deceleration on a turn (driver side only) but i cant figure it out (ive also got a bad clutch in the ac condenser that turns on and clicks when for a few seconds and turns off but a still kicks like a champ) no loss in MPG (had a motor go on me after a rebuild and got 15 MPG) currently getting 18 city/country (3.7) which you all know is damn fine for this vehicle, so i dont think its a rod or bearing especially because i cant hear it ALL the time. i did a motor swap last december with a new water pump and all but kept the same power steering housing and drive belt. ive had two motors take a crap on me with knocking and it doesnt sound anything close to that but at the same time sounds like a verrrrrrry mild one. Any help?

Sounds like a bad CV joint on the drive axle is going bad. I know that they can sometimes only make noise in turns and in acceleration. Quick check of the boot for rips wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

ineedabouttreefiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought it could be a cv, had both go on the front driveshaft but its at an idle to. as in i can rev the motor and hear what sounds like a rattle thats very soft

port67

Reaction score
i thought it could be a cv, had both go on the front driveshaft but its at an idle to. as in i can rev the motor and hear what sounds like a rattle thats very soft

While stopped with the engine running if you turn the wheel all the way to stop one way or the other and hold it for a second does the noise get louder?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a noise like that on the passenger side. I haven't been able to figure it out but a couple of trustworthy mechanics think it might be a bearing on the #2 cylinder wrist pin. Weird thing is it is louder when the engine is fully up to temp and will sometimes just go away. One mechanic was talking to me with the hood up and when he blipped the throttle the sound wasn't there anymore. He thinks that's very strange. Intermittent noises drive me nuts!

Just for giggles put some Lucas Oil Stabilizer in at your next oil change and see if that affects the noise.

Bob