Interested in leasing a Patriot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in leasing a North Edition Patriot for work. Can somebody please explain the 4WD operation to me? Is it a true 2WD until you put it in 4WD Lock or is it an AWD?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It's 2WD unless it senses slippage.

Then power is transferred to the axle that needs it.

To LOCK it in 4WD, then pull the handle. This makes sure all 4 wheels get power.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Marlon JB2, I didn't know you were a "Patriot" expert too rollinglaugh.gif

I looked at one of these really hard in October of last year.

I'm not exactly sure why I didn't buy it, I believe it was the disproportionate looks of it. (It does look kinda odd... like it needs 3" more behind the rear wheels) Oh, and the way it sits lower in the rear than the front. I don't like that. I didn't think buying a 3rd Liberty made any sense so I went with my WK.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Marlon JB2, I didn't know you were a "Patriot" expert too rollinglaugh.gif

He was born and bred in the Motor City.......ask him any Big 3 question............

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
FDII isn't worth it due to the drastic fuel economy decrease. Might as well buy a KJ at that point...

Let me clarify... if you do a lot of highway driving, it isn't worth it. If most of your driving is in the city, the Patriot still wins.

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FDII isn't worth it due to the drastic fuel economy decrease. Might as well buy a KJ at that point...

Let me clarify... if you do a lot of highway driving, it isn't worth it. If most of your driving is in the city, the Patriot still wins.

However with the FD II package, the Patriot sits higher, comes with skid plates, better weather stripping, insulation, etc. It's a real Jeep instead of being an AWD Caliber...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
However with the FD II package, the Patriot sits higher, comes with skid plates, better weather stripping, insulation, etc. It's a real Jeep instead of being an AWD Caliber...

You forgot about the suspension reinforcements. :p

All of this is true. But if this is just a work vehicle.... why?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay to answer a couple of questions and maybe to ask a couple more.

My company provides me with a leased vehicle to use mostly for highway driving not city. Surprisingly gas mileage isn't important to my boss. Minivans used to be the only vehicle I could chose for a company vehicle but recently I've been given the choice of another minivan, a Dodge Magnium or a North Edition Patriot with 4WD.

Now in the past I've driven FWD minivans through some horrible weather. It's a small wonder why I haven't put one in the ditch by now. After driving a 4WD Liberty & YJ I don't feel safe driving another FWD minivan through anymore winters.

A couple of things bother me about the Patriot. Number one is the fact that the engine is only a 4 cyl 2.4 Liter. I doubt it would have much power, especially when coupled to an automatic transmission. Number two is that is the North Edition an actual 4WD or is it really an AWD? I suppose either would be better than a FWD minivan.

Thanks again for all your feedback guys.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've never seen a North Ed. here, well maybe South Ed... :D

If it's FDI, basically AWD, but you can lock it. If it's FDII, it's AWD, lock it, and low range.

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
Don't do it. It will be in the shop for suspension work at least 3 times in 30K.... They have even worse problems with LCA, ball joints, tie rods, and CV than any liberty has ever had.........http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/index.php

Spend half an hour reading some of the post over there and you will see........

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 2WD unless it senses slippage.

Then power is transferred to the axle that needs it.

To LOCK it in 4WD, then pull the handle. This makes sure all 4 wheels get power.

So from what I've read it's actually front wheel drive 2WD until 4WD is required or locked in.

So here's the North Edition Patriot that I'm looking at;
http://www.jeep.ca/en/patriot/patriot_nth.html

The "automatic" transmission appears to be the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT2) which I'm not crazy about and likely Freedom Drive I.

I'm still undecided. I'd like to have a 4WD or an AWD regardless of the manufacturer.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
So from what I've read it's actually front wheel drive 2WD until 4WD is required or locked in.

The "automatic" transmission appears to be the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT2) which I'm not crazy about and likely Freedom Drive I.

I'm still undecided. I'd like to have a 4WD or an AWD regardless of the manufacturer.

Yeah that's kinda what I meant by my post. :p Sorry if you misunderstood it... or did you? Anywho, I'll make your decision for you.

Get the Patriot. :D

I like the Patriot. I think it's a cool little mini-Jeep. Beats the heck out of the JJ which was a planned release back in the early '90s, based on the L-Body (Dodge Omni)

I was trying to decide whether to get one back in '08 to replace my Dodge POS. But I was so afraid of it due to it and my Avenger sharing a similar platform. I was all set to sign the papers until I decided at the last minute to get the WK which I have now, and I'm kinda glad I did. I couldn't get over the disproportionate looks of the MK (Patriot). And tommudd's recent bumper chop made me realize what I hate about it so much... the rear bumper!

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you are not sure of the CVT, can you get one with a standard shift and 4wd?

Dave

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I've never seen a North Ed. here, well maybe South Ed... :D

If it's FDI, basically AWD, but you can lock it. If it's FDII, it's AWD, lock it, and low range.

The Caliber twins do not have a low range, IIRC. Freedom drive 2 gets you a different program in the CVT that mimics a low range, but is not a low range.

Latest posts

Members online