Installing trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmnetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the '02 OEM with the in-rad cooler installs in the 05 without any trouble?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the '02 OEM with the in-rad cooler installs in the 05 without any trouble?

I just ordered a rad for an '02 - '07 and it came with the in-rad trans cooler.

I suspect the parts suppliers don't want to carry two different rads for the KJ - one for the '02 model year and another for the '03 - '07 MY's. If you don't hook up the trans cooler it doesn't make a difference in operation but if you want to use the trans cooler it's there. There are plastic plugs in the trans cooler inlet and outlet that just pop out.

Bob

jmnetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I've found a lot of "OE Style replacements" :rofl: and what appears to be an 06 OEM that does not include the cooler. Do you have a part number for the 02-07 you ordered, by any chance?

EDIT: OK, found the part on moparonlineparts - of course they won't give me the part# from the product...

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I was under the hood yesterday and could smell coolant. Has anyone any experience with the Spectra Premium Radiator?

I've heard in the past that nothing lasts except for an OEM mopar.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I was under the hood yesterday and could smell coolant. Has anyone any experience with the Spectra Premium Radiator?

I went through 4 aftermarket radiators in less then 20,000 miles so I dished out the $$$ for the OEM and it's been leak free for over 20k so far.One aftermarket radiator didn't last 500 miles.I got so good at replacing them I can now do it in less then a hour.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My Spectra has been installed almost exactly 1 year w/ 14,300 miles on it and no problems (so far - almost afraid to type that though. :freak3: ) It has the in-rad trans cooler that I plumbed in inline with the standalone cooler about 6 weeks ago and no issues there either.

I'm installing the HD fan and shroud next week to cool things even more.

Bob

jmnetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that seems to be two votes of confidence for the Spectra - sounds like I'll probably be going that route when I have a bit more money (but keep the OEM around just in case it needs to go back in!)

How much work goes in to replacing the radiator on a KJ with the HD shroud? Might need someone with a bit more mechanical inclination and impressive set of tools than I have to do it, I fear...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the mechanical fan removing that is the hardest part.Some special tool are needed to hold the pulley and then loosen the fan nut(36mm wrench needed).

I use a air hammer attachment at work so no holding tool needed and makes removing those fans a 2-3 second job,old school way can take more then a hour+ if you do not have the correct holder and wrench.