In Regards to "It Now Drives Like a Sports Truck"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read over and over again about how a lot of Liberty owners who lift there trucks claim that "it now drives like a sports truck". I just lifted my Liberty with OME springs and shocks/struts and all I can say is that it now drives like...well, a truck...a tall truck...and I like that a lot haha. There is now body roll that was not there before and it just feels top heavy like all SUVs/Trucks I have driven before. Like I said though, I like it better then the mini van feel of the stock Liberty. I will however say that it is much more comfortable now then it was before and not as harsh when it comes to pot holes/bumps. The point of this thread was not to be a ******* but when I first hopped in my Jeep after lifting it it was not what I expected after reading so many post about how well there trucks corner now and stuff. It might be because I only had 44k on my Renegade when I did my lift, or that when I think of "sport" or "good" handling I think of something modified like my Bullitt or maybe my OME Springs/Shocks/Strut combo was way off then what other folks have used but there is nothing sporty about the handling of this thing now :happy175:. Did I mention that I love how it drives now though. Anyone else have similar thoughts when the first drove there freshly lifted Liberty?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I did
nothing "sporty" about it
all depends on what you compare it to
Lifted 2" KJ on 10 ply 245/75's compared to 3.5" on a TJ with
bias ply swampers
KJ= sporty
same KJ compared to Lancer evo 8 ,not so sporty

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
yeah I did
nothing "sporty" about it
all depends on what you compare it to
Lifted 2" KJ on 10 ply 245/75's compared to 3.5" on a TJ with
bias ply swampers
KJ= sporty
same KJ compared to Lancer evo 8 ,not so sporty

Damn,He is right again. :party52:

Chris_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my kk is lifted, and it doesn't corner well at all. granted my DD before this was a mustang. it has a ton of body roll

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine had about 20,000 when lifted
had all kinds of body roll etc, handled like crap
swapped out the tires, lifted it, installed the ARB and it handled WAY better than it did before.
Granted it may not be sprts car like some think but its a heck of a site better than stock.
There is one mile long turn that I take when going down home, before lifted I could take it at 60 and felt safe, now I take it all the time at 65 or better and it still tracks pretty flat
Ride on the road to me is 2000 times better than the wimpy stock suspension

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's about how I felt when I first lifted it. Now I take corners like no tomorrow. It handles completely different and your brain will learn where to trust it and where not to. I even took out the rear sway bar after a while because I thought the rear was too stiff side to side. I sound more like
Ry with mine I guess. Give it a while and it will grow on you. You'll be taking corners faster then you ever did before too long.
927s in front btw.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OME790s I've got up front and the slightly wider track due to the wheels makes it FEEL like it handles better. It's still a 2 ton brick on wheels. I've got 147000 on mine and it's been lifted for the last 141000 in one form or another.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say that mine now handles like it should. Stock, it was flimsy, too much body roll. Added Daystar lift, and it was OK. A little stiff, but then the springs gave way more and more and ride deteriated. Replaced Front Spacer set with DIY Franky. Best ride yet. Replaced OEM Rear springs and Daystar Spacer with Rusty's Rear coils. Rear was a little mooshy. Replaced the Rusty's rear coils with Skyjacker HD coils. Rides GREAT! No, it doesn't corner like a vette, but it is leaps and bounds better than the stock ride. And even though I am taller lifted, I have no doubt I am less likely to roll my KJ now than I was the day I drove it off the dealer's lot.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter how much you lift, just get wider & bigger tires, otherwise there is always much higher risk of rolling it. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that you know the limit when taking corners. One day the tires will be airborne, next thing you feel is how turtles feel when they flip, and all that effort goes to waste.

10" of lift and 35" tires and feels much better then it did with IFS,can take corners better now then before.Oh and no rear swaybar and only a AntiRock in the front set in the middle holes.

It's because you've got those big tires sticking way out, I am guessing it is less likely to roll compared to 2.5" lifted KJs.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter how much you lift, just get wider & bigger tires, otherwise there is always much higher risk of rolling it. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that you know the limit when taking corners. One day the tires will be airborne, next thing you feel is how turtles feel when they flip, and all that effort goes to waste.

It's because you've got those big tires sticking way out, I am guessing it is less likely to roll compared to 2.5" lifted KJs.

yeah adding 1" to the side of a 72" wall is going to make a noticeable
difference in how easily it will roll

I would love the chance to show you how hard or easy it is to roll a Jeep
and believe me you will chicken out long before the Jeep will roll
consider that the second time I rolled my TJ the passenger wheel was over 4' in the air before it rolled
or even the first
my wife was driving and could touch the trail but the wheels were still down

but yeah 1" wider and I may not have flopped :shrug::happy175::happy175: