I'd probably get better fuel mileage...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the ECU code work for the 07 6spd wasn't written by a ******** 8 year old with turrets. Seriously, who wrote this thing? I know it's got electronic throttle control and it's sometimes hard to get it really acting right but they loused it up so badly it's rediculous. the engine RPMs hang way too long, drop way too slow, I have to take like 3 seconds between shifts otherwise the jeep bucks, the throttle lag is randomly annoy as hell and frequently nearly causes me to stall on takeoff. it's only because i've been driving sticks for 22 years my feet are fast enough to catch it most of the time. were there ever any service updates for the ECU programming for these things? I'd check with the 2 jeep stealerships near me but they both have service employees that must have just been fired from mcdonalds.

/rant

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
if the ECU code work for the 07 6spd wasn't written by a ******** 8 year old with turrets. Seriously, who wrote this thing? I know it's got electronic throttle control and it's sometimes hard to get it really acting right but they loused it up so badly it's rediculous. the engine RPMs hang way too long, drop way too slow, I have to take like 3 seconds between shifts otherwise the jeep bucks, the throttle lag is randomly annoy as hell and frequently nearly causes me to stall on takeoff. it's only because i've been driving sticks for 22 years my feet are fast enough to catch it most of the time. were there ever any service updates for the ECU programming for these things? I'd check with the 2 jeep stealerships near me but they both have service employees that must have just been fired from mcdonalds.

/rant

You mean more like related to the ******** 8 year old with Turrets!:D

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a TSB for the 04. Maybe there is one for the '07. Key word would be driveablility.

I think maybe the same ******** 8 year olds made the computer program for the Commander I drove with the 3.7.

TomO

Full Access Member
Reaction score

/rant

I thought it was just me. I drive along boggling at how long the revs stay up once I step on the clutch. And I struggle to drive this car anywhere near as smooth as any of my others.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I don't know what all of these abbreviations mean but I heard from a buddy of mine who used to work for chrysler that you can get the computer that controls the transmission reprogrammed and you can "re-teach" the car how to shift. Now that would be for an automatic, obviously, but maybe something like that exists that would help the sticks?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I don't know what all of these abbreviations mean but I heard from a buddy of mine who used to work for chrysler that you can get the computer that controls the transmission reprogrammed and you can "re-teach" the car how to shift. Now that would be for an automatic, obviously, but maybe something like that exists that would help the sticks?

Negatory - the 2007 is "drive by wire" - no throttle cable. If you rev the engine in N or Park, it takes it FOREVER to wind back down to idle. You literally can't rev the engine like you stereotypically would before a race, if that makes sense.

So, for these guys, they put the clutch in, but the engine hangs at like 3k RPM.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and how does a TCU reprogram help me? I don't have one of those. I HAVE A STICK SHIFT LIBERTY! :D

TomO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then like me, you just need to reprogram your brain.

I drove the BMW, "Frau Blucher", last night and couldn't find the window switches at first. I hunted all over the console. Reprogramming works!

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd do that if the ECU would be consistent in it's choices of what crazy thing it's going to do next. hoenstly it's the only thing I regret about this jeep. I didn't know at the time that the 07 was the first and only year of the old body style that had drive-by-wire. if I'd known I would have focused on the 06 and 05 models. my mistake in assuming it'd be the same I realize.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's in the manual IIRC. I've done it a couple times... still acts idiotic.

05kj6spd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe some of the tuners out there like super chips make the throttle more responsive in the Jks and grand cherokees. They have fly by wire throttles as well, may one of this would work for you. I believe I saw one for Dodge Ram that plugged into the switch on the pedal and did it from there. Might be something out there for you.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe some of the tuners out there like super chips make the throttle more responsive in the Jks and grand cherokees. They have fly by wire throttles as well, may one of this would work for you. I believe I saw one for Dodge Ram that plugged into the switch on the pedal and did it from there. Might be something out there for you.

yea i've seen that plug-in throttle response adapter thing in my GRM mag. thought about trying one but...
a) they're like $300
b) there's no local dealer near me with them to try it out.

also tried contacting the one company that does actual tunes/ECU reprogramming for lots of chryslers (including Liberty's) but they never wrote me back. :mad:

I didn't think the electronic throttle + Stick Shift was so bad when I drove an '07.

it wouldn't be so bad if it would stop trying to be "intelligent" and just do what my foot is commanding. I can understand intelligence when an auto is used but there's not a single bit of code or hardware out there that is SMARTER than I am or KNOWS more about what i actually want to do than I do. I drive a stick shift after all... I know what I'm doing! :D I want the ECU to sit down, ****, and do what I tell it to and NOT what it THINKS I want to do.