Hub bearing assembly stuck on CV axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm in NC. There is some salt put out on the roads here in the western mountain sections. But the results are never anything near what I see with northern vehicles.

But this thing, everything has been seized together still. Rotor stuck to hub (off now). Hub stuck to spindle (off now). But now I am stale mate with the hub splines stuck to the CV axle splines.

Gonna let it soak in PB blaster over night, as that has helped with the other parts.

This seems to come right apart in the threads and videos. I am very frustrated now. Are there any tricks to try in the morning?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ATF and acetone might work too.

What if you took the whole knuckle off with the CV stuck in there and then tried pounding it out from there? That way it won't be hitting the diff/intermediate shaft as you pound.

jja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake fluid. Just don't let any painted parts or body parts for that matter come in contact.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soak with PB Blaster, a two or three jaw puller and a hammer. Put tension on with the puller, then give it a couple good whacks. Should pop right out.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I am going to have to borrow a puller.

This makes me so mad. I see all these super rusty rides just come right apart in there. Makes me feel like they just put mine together dry.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I am going to have to borrow a puller.

This makes me so mad. I see all these super rusty rides just come right apart in there. Makes me feel like they just put mine together dry.

I've had some that wouldn't budge even after being heated glowing red,whacked with a 12lbs sledge,then constant air hammer for 30mins.Just ended up replacing the whole knuckle,CV,and bearing.

Bet you will apply some antiseize before re-assembly.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back the nut out till it's flush with the shaft, then whack it with a hammer. Might need to use a drift pin to go beyond that point after the nut is off. I removed mine with 130k miles (in the great northern salt belt), without needing a puller.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I needed the puller on mine. It grew up in Detroit and had about 90k on it. Was stuck pretty good, too.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah!

I needed the puller and started to be certain even the puller was going to strip. So I ended up backing it off, turning the center bolt farther in, and then proceeded two rounds of tightening the lug nuts on the puller, backing out, turning bolt in, doing it again.

Ruined my lug nuts but the left side is off now. Dang.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The puller actually had taper holes for the lugs. It was just the amount of force required. It pulled them in and cut a grove. I might could have used them backwards with washers and destroyed those. But it was too late already when I saw.

The right side worked fine with the puller just turning the bolt. The left side it would have either stripped threads or drilled the bolt in the axle. It just wouldn't do it. Crazy.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even in Jersey I've been pretty good getting the CV detached. I usually hit the tip of the CV with a mini sledge once or twice (enough to see the CV push in and away from the hub) and I'm good. But yes antiseize went alllllll over those parts afterward.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The puller actually had taper holes for the lugs. It was just the amount of force required. It pulled them in and cut a grove. I might could have used them backwards with washers and destroyed those. But it was too late already when I saw.

The right side worked fine with the puller just turning the bolt. The left side it would have either stripped threads or drilled the bolt in the axle. It just wouldn't do it. Crazy.

What kind of puller did you use? I use one like this:

You must be registered for see images

Tighten the bolt until you've put a little tension on the puller, then whack the bolt 1-3 times with a BFH and POP! It's off. No threads to strip...

EDIT: found the pic, actually:
You must be registered for see images attach