Howdy, I'm New and in search of my first Jeep.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LogerZero

JeepNewb
Reaction score
How's it going everyone, Names Logan. I'm here looking for advice while looking for my first jeep, and 4x4 of any kind. I've been looking for a good affordable 4x4 to use as my daily and take camping and such. I've owned a couple Subarus in the past but never a proper 4x4. The Liberty KJ really stood out to me while looking through my options for a few reason, a good price, I like the smaller size, and I really love the KJ styling, the round headlights remind me a little of my old beloved 2002 bug-eyed impreza wagon.

My budget isn't great at around 3 grand at the moment. I've looked at a couple that I could find in that range with manual transmissions. First was very rough at 150k, it was a hard pass. I looked at one today, a 2002 with 182k on it, very clean though. When inspecting it looks great all around expect underneath at what I'm pretty sure is the transfer case, looked like it had some oil leak issues at some time. I drove it, had a check engine light which I checked at a local store and came up as p0455, emissions leak, not something I'm TOO worried about. Also some slight wobble on the break, again not a huge deal at that price range. The problem came when I tried to change it into 4wd, right away a clunking metal on metal sound started coming from what sounded like the front right, only drove it a couple feet before I switched it out. Getting back to the dealership we couldn't get it back into any of the 4wd selections.
Any thoughts on this issue or advice on how it might be to fix would be much appreciated.

I'm not super into the idea of a 4 speed manual but there are a lot more options around with it. I'm gonna find one to test drive, curious about opinions between auto or manual on these Jeeps.

Would this be alright to post in the general board? seems like it gets a lot more traffic than here but I wanted to be respectful and post here first.

Thanks for your time.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! Try to find a cleaner KJ without issues, if at all possible !! I like having an automatic personally but each to their own.
First off there are two types of 4 wheel drive systems for the KJ, one Command Trac "part time" only- for slippery surfaces like mud snow etc.
The second is Selec Trac which is a "full time" use anywhere system.

Feel free to post in the KJ General discussions, we are here to help!

LogerZero

JeepNewb
Reaction score
I got to drive an automatic earlier, wasn't bad. Unfortunately there was smoke under the hood from what I think was an exhaust leak. It was the first one I've driven with the full-time 4wd you're mentioning, gonna have to watch out for that as I'm definitely wanting to take it off-road.

I'm impatient, if I wait another month I might be able to increase my budget by a grand or two though.

Thanks for your reply!

LogerZero

JeepNewb
Reaction score
Is the "trail rated" badge what I should be looking for to know if it's gonna have the full time 4wd?

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trail rated badge doesn't mean it has full time 4wd

LogerZero

JeepNewb
Reaction score
So just the 3 different 4wd options on the 4wd lever then? Anything I should be looking out for, was it on available at certain trim levels? Thanks for the help, new to 4x4s I'm still learning the differences.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sport Was basic trim. Renegade was top trim with roof light. Mine was Rocky Mountain Edition etc etc..
From the VIN Number of any KJ, you can get the build sheet Online & see all equipment options including command or selectrac transfer case etc.
Link: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/build-sheet.64657/

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 Renegade doesn't have the roof light. I looked at my build sheet and wonder about 5 Additional Gallons of Gas

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The 5 gallon additional is best explained as: They added 5 more gallons of gas so you wont run out, taking it off the lot LOL.
Earlier KJ had 19.5 gallon tank size and after 2005 there was 21 gallons off the top of my head. I wish they would have offered 25 gallon tanks. ;)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Welcome, I’m new to the forum also (February ) I just got my first KJ, I pad $2500, only 98k miles. If you can find a CRD they get like 40 mpg and are beasts off road.
This is a great dream! Now that I'm awake I realize I have to go to my shop and figure out the plumbing mysterys, finish my pins, and clobber the thing back together before it wants another $500. just sitting there doing nothing.

Are you looking to buy one?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The 5 gallon additional is best explained as: They added 5 more gallons of gas so you wont run out, taking it off the lot LOL.
Earlier KJ had 19.5 gallon tank size and after 2005 there was 21 gallons off the top of my head. I wish they would have offered 25 gallon tanks. ;)
There's a bigger tank available in Australia. It hangs down more than stock, made of plastic. I want to say 40 gallons but I'm probably wrong. I'll check my files for more info next time I'm in my shop.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt it would be 40 Gallons, more like 25 ? Let's hope they made the steel gas tank skid for it as well. ;)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I doubt it would be 40 Gallons, more like 25 ? Let's hope they made the steel gas tank skid for it as well. ;)
Long Range Automotive in Australia has a 115L tank listed which comes to 30 US gallons or 25 Imperial gallons. Part # JCSKJRMY05.

It's only listed for '05-'06 and diesel only so you'd need a CRD engine to replace your gasser.

I happen to know a gentleman in Scotland who migh be willing to part with his CRD... it has a new timing belt but might need a tune-up.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 Liberty Renegade does not have the roof lights, It did have the bumper mounted 7" fogs, (they were old and ugly) and I changed them to a set of fogs from harbor freight (($27 set) that required some mounting brainstorming... My 3.7 has 128k and it does like to drink "petrol"... I get 15mpg in town and 17mpg on the highway... It has lower engine and transmission skid plates...

I now use my jeep for hauling my automotive tools, jacks, and chemicals so if I repair a vehicle for a friend or family member THEY get to put gas in it and I get to help them with their problems... :)

So far after working the "bugs" out of it It has been a fun vehicle to drive !
Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My 06 Liberty Renegade does not have the roof lights, It did have the bumper mounted 7" fogs, (they were old and ugly) and I changed them to a set of fogs from harbor freight (($27 set) that required some mounting brainstorming... My 3.7 has 128k and it does like to drink "petrol"... I get 15mpg in town and 17mpg on the highway... It has lower engine and transmission skid plates...

I now use my jeep for hauling my automotive tools, jacks, and chemicals so if I repair a vehicle for a friend or family member THEY get to put gas in it and I get to help them with their problems... :)

So far after working the "bugs" out of it It has been a fun vehicle to drive !
Dave
Only 17 on the highway, wow that is low
what all have you done, hopefully NGK copper plugs, others will cause bad mileage like the plats or double plats etc

Latest posts

Members online