How to measure suspension sag?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading about tires and wheels and see references to older KJs having sag. I am sure my '03 Sport (140K miles) has some but I have not seen any data on how or what to measure or what it should be. Can someone point me to a good reference?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been reading about tires and wheels and see references to older KJs having sag. I am sure my '03 Sport (140K miles) has some but I have not seen any data on how or what to measure or what it should be. Can someone point me to a good reference?

Middle of wheel / hub to bottom of the flare in front
for yours 19 inches
Bet its about 17.75-18
The 03 I picked up recently with 80,000 miles was at 18
Springs are weak brand new
I switched my 04s out at 20,000 miles
19,999 to long :icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup - right at 18". I don't think I'll do anything about it until it becomes a problem.

The 03 green one of mine was about 18 and created lots of issues, bouncing off the bumpstops even on relatively smooth streets. Ride is/was terrible ( in my opinion) Of course I hate soft suspensions that wallow down the road like an old sow . :icon_lol:
Had swapped out to new springs/ shocks in the rear and Monore quickies in the front with some extras, that lasted 3 days before I had to make a call and get something better, was still a crappy ride

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is the answer for sag? Is it new springs and shocks or is there a moderate lift kit that is a better deal? I'm not looking for mudders, just a stable ride.

8DC

Reaction score
^ I would also be interested in hearing of a moderate lift if it won't make stock tire sizes look ridiculously small. If I'm going to need to replace the suspension, best to shoot for a bit of an improvement over stock.

Seen a lot like that before we lifted them

I guess that explains the bounciness... I thought it was just a Jeep thing. :happy175:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Springs and shocks are needed for sag. If going with quality springs/shocks (Ironman, OME come to mind) it will cost about the same for a 2-2.5" lift. Read on this forum for more info! ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So what is the answer for sag? Is it new springs and shocks or is there a moderate lift kit that is a better deal? I'm not looking for mudders, just a stable ride.

Ironman for 813 will get you 2.25 inches of lift and a good ride and handling ( well way way better than stock ever was)
OME at 835 will get you 2.5 inches of lift
This is over new stock height

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^ I would also be interested in hearing of a moderate lift if it won't make stock tire sizes look ridiculously small. If I'm going to need to replace the suspension, best to shoot for a bit of an improvement over stock.

I guess that explains the bounciness... I thought it was just a Jeep thing. :happy175:

No not a Jeep thing, stock suspension ***** from the get go pretty much ( swapped out my 04s with 20,000 miles on it) So add a few miles / a few years and you have a crappy ride
I just picked up a one owner 03 with 80,000 miles, rode like crap when I got it
Any full spring lift kit will make it ride and handle so much better than it did new stock.
Everyone thats been through my place for a lift has commented on how much better it drove, rode and handled afterwards

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that 813 & 835 DOLLARS ?

Yes dollars, as in $813.00 and $835.00
Or for half that you can go back to stock ride/ handling etc
Hitting the bumpstops on every rail road crossing, every pothole etc
But trust me if you ever rode in a full spring lifted KJ, you would never want to drive yours again:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Until you upgrade the suspension, you don't realize how bad your stock really is.
The front droop on mine was significant, felt every bump in road and definitely was not trail ready.
While everyone else slows down for rail road tracks, I blow over top with ease !
54348[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I never really liked the nose dive position of the Jeep when I got it, looked bad.
Now it is level, and with JBA 4.5's it actually handles great!
What a difference!:gr_grin:

Attachments

• Sag%20Much.jpg
    Sag%20Much.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 0