how to lower a liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

royal04liberty

Reaction score
Well my gf and I just picked up a '04 liberty sport and was wondering if anybody has lowered one... I know most people tend to lift them. I am more of a ford thunderbird kind of guy and belong to tccoa and sccoa but now that we have this liberty I just feel the need to mod it lol. Looking to lower it or even maybe lifting it since thats what my gf wants...also want to add a nice catback exhaust(gibson,magnaflow or a custom setup) so has anybody lowered a liberty?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've read on one of the forums (here or LOST) of someone doing it. But you're right... most folks around here are interested in lifting them, so I'm not sure if you'll get a whole lot of feedback.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my gf and I just picked up a '04 liberty sport and was wondering if anybody has lowered one... I know most people tend to lift them. I am more of a ford thunderbird kind of guy and belong to tccoa and sccoa but now that we have this liberty I just feel the need to mod it lol. Looking to lower it or even maybe lifting it since thats what my gf wants...also want to add a nice catback exhaust(gibson,magnaflow or a custom setup) so has anybody lowered a liberty?

Smart GF. She is a keeper. Besides, lowering a Jeep is like lifting your Thunderbird......you'd be doing it backwards.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not going to find much in the lowering of KJs
simply due to not any springs etc out there
someone in overseas used I think H&R springs or something but ride etc will suffer.
Its more than likely sitting an inch or more lower than stock anyways being the age it is

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a MVA a few months ago where a guy lowered his liberty. He used cut factory sagged out springs. It sat pretty low. So low he said his cross member would scrape all the time.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
There's nothing worse than a scraped member! :icon_eek:

:dogpile:

b1m3x8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eibach sells lowering springs for KJs. I think they are discountined but some places still have them in stock.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Really I'm telling you there is no reason to buy aftermarket springs, the stock springs sag 1 to 1.5 inches by 75,000 miles anyways . Can't go much lower than that so if you want you butt dragging the ground just wait you'll get there

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

seriously do you want your jeep to look this silly

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Notice it still has the factory spare:pp:

I'm all against lowering a Jeep but make it look right with a matching spare,same thing goes for those lifting and putting bigger tires.Nothing say's cheap like a mis-matched spare when it's hanging off the rear gate in plain site.

GET A MATCHING SPARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really I'm telling you there is no reason to buy aftermarket springs, the stock springs sag 1 to 1.5 inches by 75,000 miles anyways . Can't go much lower than that so if you want you butt dragging the ground just wait you'll get there

Not that I'm for lowering the KJ, but lowering is generally to increase handling/stiffness. Sagged out springs and shocks DO NOT handle whatsoever.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that I'm for lowering the KJ, but lowering is generally to increase handling/stiffness. Sagged out springs and shocks DO NOT handle whatsoever.
Yes I fully understand that I've built lifted and lowered rigs ( lowered for others not myself) for years
but lowered they ride like CRAP anyways so may as well save you $$$$$$$$$
no matter what springs etc you use

It was more of a tongue in cheek joke that you missed

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I fully understand that I've built lifted and lowered rigs ( lowered for others not myself) for years
but lowered they ride like CRAP anyways so may as well save you $$$$$$$$$
no matter what springs etc you use

It was more of a tongue in cheek joke that you missed

:emotions122: sarcasm does not translate through text.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will have front axles problems the angle wil break them. Up or down will have same issues. Lol

Well you could do a cradle lift.....hahah

Or

Put a stang II front end on it.

Just joking.....hahahah

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

Majestic

Reaction score
O. K. I will answer thinking you want to make your Libby a drifting machine, because that is the only acceptable reason for doing it so.
That said you have to address two things, struts and springs and camber. The best bet for does is custom work from an realiable source shop (previous drift machining experience), the springs are piece of cake because you just have to get in touch with eibach or look for some springs that are designed to address the libbys weight and strocke... Now, talk us a little bit about your drifting style so I can throw some camber settings and where to get camber arms or plates.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk now Free