HOW TO: Headlights... Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I did a search and didn't find anything, so i'm gonna ask...

What's a good way to get rid of the oxidation starting to form on my headlights? I know auto stores sell different products and there are lots of "home remedies", but I don't want to sink a bunch of time and money into things that end up not working. Anyone tried anything with good success?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried them all and none ever lasted very long,6 months before they started looking like crap again.I just bought new headlight housings,yeah expensive but $400 every 9 years is not bad in my book for best light output.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several kits available, but some of them aren't as good as others. The ones that have you wetsand and polish them back up are the ones that will last. The ones that are a magic liquid are the ones that don't.

One mistake some people make is that they don't wetsand enough to remove the original coating layer that is oxidizing or sand them smooth. If you fail to do either, you will get hazing again. Once you sand them smooth and remove the original "UV layer" (if there is one), then you polish them back up.

Another mistake is not polishing them out totally.

The goal is to get them as crystal clear and smooth as possible. This is what gives them the best chance to stay clear.

Once you have sanded and polished, you need to add a wax or sealant to them like you would your paint.

I've had a few cars that have had this issue and none of them reverted back to haze after I polished them back up. And the customers that I'm still in touch with that I've done this for are still happy.

what about a coat of clearcoat once you have sanded and buffed them?
I've seen people clear the lenses before. While it is very possible, it sometimes doesn't look quite as clear as properly polishing the lenses. It is all about preference.

One thing to remember though, don't wetsand and then buff them before you clear. You should spray the clear over the wetsand. Otherwise, the paint wont stick to the smoohtly buffed suraface near as well.

Last edited:

baer jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just use tooth past and a soft rag with some elbow grease. have for years the most expensive part of the combination is the elbow grease.
but hey once every two years ain't such a hardship. easier then adjusting lifters every few months on the camero

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3M kit works best but it takes like 2 hours to do. Looks as good as new...

Lace

Reaction score
If you have a decent buffer that can spin fast enough, you can wax them. My brother in law did some detailing for a high end dealership and taught me this. It takes some work, but once you get it heated up, you can get a lot out. Could also use tooth paste I'd imagine. Something that's a light abrasive.

Stillboardin

Reaction score
Hi,
First post here, but had my 2003 KJ since new. I was looking for how to tint tail lights and came across this.

Let me see if I can add a little info.

The plastic in the headlight has a UV coating on it that, over time fails and allows the the plastic to haze over. What is needed is to sand that haze off and add a new coating (clear coat with UV protectant)

If you just buff it and don't do anything else then the UV will yellow the lamp again very quickly.

So, get yourself some wet/dry sandpaper (800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit) if you have access to a compressor and spray gun great but if not go get an automotive grade clear coat spray bomb.

Sand the headlight until it is a uniform smoothness, it will look like you frosted plastic at the point. Wash it so it is nice and clean. And then spray a couple coats of clear on it, waiting 10 minutes in between coats for the clear to flash. At this point it should look new. you can finish it by taking your 1500 or 2000 grit and sanding lightly and then using a nice polishing compound and wax.

Check out this post on another sight.

How to restore plastic headlights

Hope this helps.

motmcd

Reaction score
Wet-sand and polyurethane

Remove the lamp assembly from vehicle. Progressively wet-sand in three stages, 800, 1600, 2000 grit. Wipe with damp cloth, let dry, spray with several, thin coats of polyurethane clear coat. Lightly scuff surface between coats. You must be thorough with sanding to remove all OEM clearcoat; otherwise the risk is high for peeling. While you're at it refinish the third brake light same way. Be patient and allow poly to fully dry between coats, and don't panic if you see clouding between coats. It'll dry clear.

Hope this helps.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Gotta do my wifes WK

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!