Wife knocked out the headlight and radiator support. How fun is that to fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

confusedjeeper

Reaction score
Long story short the wife hit a deer and took out the headlight and all the plastic behind the headlight Since that is all part of the radiator support, it looks like I get to replace that too. Body shop quoted that it would cost more than the ole jeep is worth to fix it so it looks like I'm doing it myself. Anyone ever attempt to do this? How fun is it?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pictures would help, but I was under the impression that assuming it didn't bend any of the mounting points too badly, it should be pretty much a bolt on affair.

confusedjeeper

Reaction score
Got into it here last night, it is a lot of unbolt/unscrew and pull. Surprisingly, the radiator support is really only held in by six bolts with 10mm heads, and almost too many things are attached to this glorified piece of plastic (including both horns, the radiator reservoir, the power steering cooler, the front electrical harness, the front bumper cover, latch, hood support, and of course the headlights and radiator).

Not a real awful job if someone wants to do it themselves as the only real struggle was pulling it out by myself. I recommend taking the radiator all the way out, as that may give the AC condenser a little bit more free play as you try to wiggle the support out. The AC lines are a bit stiff/short and I really didn't want to deal with removing them (no tools to handle that).

Robochop

Robochop
Reaction score
Long story short the wife hit a deer and took out the headlight and all the plastic behind the headlight Since that is all part of the radiator support, it looks like I get to replace that too. Body shop quoted that it would cost more than the ole jeep is worth to fix it so it looks like I'm doing it myself. Anyone ever attempt to do this? How fun is it?
Yes, it is fixable! I had the same problem with a tire falling off a trailer and hitting me inside a tunnel. Everything can be bought on ebay, even the radiator support "V" bar. It is only riveted in the car. It was a pain getting them out but I was able to hammer everything straight and put the new bar back in. Luckily, my local junkyard had plenty of Liberty's! I did have to replace the hood, which a friend painted for me. The front grill I painted with a spray can. I took the paint code and found a place on ebay that sent me the right premixed color as a spray can and a quart can for the painter to use! The insurance (USAA) company told me they wanted to total it, so they gave me $5700 for it and I bought it back from them for $500. (I had recently put a new engine in it). I have attached pics, but I can't seem to find the "in progress" pics. The first pic is after repairs!

Attachments

• Tunnel Crash4.jpg
    Tunnel Crash4.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Tunnel Crash3.jpg
    Tunnel Crash3.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Tunnel Crash2.jpg
    Tunnel Crash2.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Tunnel Crash1.jpg
    Tunnel Crash1.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Tunnel Crash.jpg
    Tunnel Crash.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 5

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hit a piece of furniture at 65mph...long story..and had to replace all the front stuff as well. I have a brand new top piece (the one with the labels) you can have if you pay shipping or pick up. It's all fairly simple except the "mustache bar" as I call it. It runs under the radiator and up alongside the radiator and is welded to the body.