How to eliminate ABS, ESP, BAS lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ambra

G.I Ambra
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m having issues with my abs, esp and bas light all of a sudden. It comes on randomly.

Also I noticed there’s a kick under my foot when I press my brakes. It even sounds like a disk is moving across another disk. I literally did $4,000 worth of work on my Liberty the other day. Everything from brakes, rotors, calipers, upper control arms, tires, 150k mile inspection, etc.

The noise and kick under my foot on the brake pedal seem to happen when I am on an uneven road or hit a bump while pressing the brake.

Also happens if I’m slightly moving my wheel left or right.

Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• E23EB63F-8A4A-4BB0-B6C1-FC86C63626DB.jpeg
    E23EB63F-8A4A-4BB0-B6C1-FC86C63626DB.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 3A529941-6B4A-4279-9832-0E127E2ABE35.jpeg
    3A529941-6B4A-4279-9832-0E127E2ABE35.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 17

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First , did it do that before you did 4000 dollars worth of work to it
Plus how long/days/months /miles since work was done

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kick you are feeling is the abs kicking on.

need to get your codes read and go from there.

most of the time it is a wheel speed sensor or a bad wire.

mine decided to pop on when i had a sensor error on the right front hub.

a new sensor did not solve it. The code changed to tone ring error.

swapped out the hub and gtg!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I recently learned that a new sensor can still be a bad sensor. I’d pull them and make sure they aren’t ground off or have rust flakes on the Hall effect face.

If it makes you feel better, took me three weeks to correct the issue. A Duralast sensor corrected the issue for me after an Amazon no name and two Mopars failed.

Ambra

G.I Ambra
Reaction score
Yes it made the noise before I did the work. And I went back to the shop to let them know that it was still making that noise and they said that the braking system is all good. So I informed them that the light keeps coming on saying ABS ESP and traction control, and they told me that everything seemed to be fine.

They knew I was about to drive a 2000 mile trip soon and told me that it would be OK. With no engine light I figured it should be fine.

Once I was completing my 2000 mile trip and pulling a U-Haul trailer on the back with approximately 2000 lbs, it started making this loud whining noise sort of from the back end. Now basically every time I get inside of the jeep it makes the same noise. And it only seems to happen when I’m coming to a stop on a hill going up or down.

I got a little upset the other day so I took my front driver side wheel off to wiggle the ABS sensor and wiring and check that out and it seemed to be fine.

So a little update:

Engine light - is always on now.
When I hit slight cracks in the road:
Abs light
ESP light
Traction control light

There’s a strange kick under my pedal still (the original noise) that made me take it to the shop to begin with.

And now this loud semi truck sounding whine from the middle to back of the vehicle coming to a stop.

I’m taking her to a shop this week. I really want to make sure my baby girl is taken care of.

I’ll keep you posted.

I have a video of the noise as well but I don’t think I can share it here.

Ambra

G.I Ambra
Reaction score
The kick you are feeling is the abs kicking on.

need to get your codes read and go from there.

most of the time it is a wheel speed sensor or a bad wire.

mine decided to pop on when i had a sensor error on the right front hub.

a new sensor did not solve it. The code changed to tone ring error.

swapped out the hub and gtg!
Yeah I went to the part store and the codes they read were: P0700 and then P0740

Has to do with the torque converter.

So I’m assuming all of this is tied into each other somehow.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
P0700 has to do with Transmission Control Module
P0740 clutch circuit malfunction
So in a way has to deal with the torque convertor but not necessarily
sounds more like a electronic issue

Ambra

G.I Ambra
Reaction score
P0700 has to do with Transmission Control Module
P0740 clutch circuit malfunction
So in a way has to deal with the torque convertor but not necessarily
sounds more like a electronic issue
Thank you! I can do most of the work on my baby but I’m nervous with the transmission. Anyone would be. Haha. I might have to find myself one of those trust worthy mechanics who work out of their own garage.

Ambra

G.I Ambra
Reaction score
The noise and punch feeling under my brake pedal started before I got it fixed. The shop informed me that fixing the few things they fixed would "eliminate the noise." As soon as I got into the Jeep the day they were finished with the work... it made the same noise. I went back and informed them of the noise still being there and the mechanic told me that there is nothing creating a noise. He even "took it for another test drive." And said, "I don't feel a thing."

I think they did a little bit of work and then just pocketed my money and did not even fix the issue.
I am still having the same issues. Except wiggling the ABS sensor did help the issue for a day or so. So I am going to replace all of the sensors for the heck of it at this point.

The only other thing I could think of is the transmission fluid.
The shop did fluids for me to prepare me for a long drive.
I believe they flushed my transmission fluid...and we all know that can be an issue with an older vehicle.
I am assuming that the thinner fluid they put in may have leaked out.
I checked my trans fluid and it was low as shi% so I have some on the way now to see if it takes away the noise from the P0740 code I am getting. It definitely smells like burnt metal so I am hoping that it works. If now, I have some major repairs to get into and I need a mechanic I can trust since I am new to the area.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise and punch feeling under my brake pedal started before I got it fixed. The shop informed me that fixing the few things they fixed would "eliminate the noise." As soon as I got into the Jeep the day they were finished with the work... it made the same noise. I went back and informed them of the noise still being there and the mechanic told me that there is nothing creating a noise. He even "took it for another test drive." And said, "I don't feel a thing."

I think they did a little bit of work and then just pocketed my money and did not even fix the issue.
I am still having the same issues. Except wiggling the ABS sensor did help the issue for a day or so. So I am going to replace all of the sensors for the heck of it at this point.

The only other thing I could think of is the transmission fluid.
The shop did fluids for me to prepare me for a long drive.
I believe they flushed my transmission fluid...and we all know that can be an issue with an older vehicle.
I am assuming that the thinner fluid they put in may have leaked out.
I checked my trans fluid and it was low as shi% so I have some on the way now to see if it takes away the noise from the P0740 code I am getting. It definitely smells like burnt metal so I am hoping that it works. If now, I have some major repairs to get into and I need a mechanic I can trust since I am new to the area.

My wife's cousin lives in new kensington - he is a big mopar fan. I'll send him a post and see who he knows that is good with jeep.

Latest posts

Members online