how to confirm window failure issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, my passenger side rear window has been fallen for a month or two, I've been keeping it up with a wedge of wood inside the door and am finally getting around to fixing it.

I assume what failed is the clip thing that I've seen a metal replacement for kicking around this forum. What is the best way to actually confirm what has failed inside the door? its very hard to see around inside the door and I'm unsure exactly what has failed, all I know is the window pretty much moves freely in the bracket

Also any advice on replacement parts best to use these days?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the flexible window gear will continue to extend out of its housing when you lower the window.

Basically the plastic window glass mount that attaches to this flex gear is broken.

there are cheap replacement on ebay or the expensive stuff that I don't remember the name.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score

take a look at this. Shows most common failure point.

i keep a spare set of these nylons.

takes (now) about 20 minutes to change out.

if you have the other problem (a cracked tube that lets the cable out of the housing) there is no nother fix i know of other than replace that regulator. Each door takes a different one of course.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine failed recently it broke in the usual spot, however it also wedged itself into the track. It made no noise or movement when actuated. Therefore I couldn't confirm motor was good until I pulled it out of the door, freed things up, and plugged electronics back in for testing.

Dave_too

Reaction score
the flexible window gear will continue to extend out of its housing when you lower the window.

Basically the plastic window glass mount that attaches to this flex gear is broken.

there are cheap replacement on ebay or the expensive stuff that I don't remember the name.
Steiger Performance or Flea Bay.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure steiger's are better quality, but i picked up a copy cat from Amazon for many less dollars, installed 2 so far, working fine.

bowyjay

Reaction score
Hi folks, my passenger side rear window has been fallen for a month or two, I've been keeping it up with a wedge of wood inside the door and am finally getting around to fixing it.

I assume what failed is the clip thing that I've seen a metal replacement for kicking around this forum. What is the best way to actually confirm what has failed inside the door? its very hard to see around inside the door and I'm unsure exactly what has failed, all I know is the window pretty much moves freely in the bracket

Get the metal holder assembly. The plastic one is what broke. Mine was also the rear passenger side and know that a heavy beagle pushed on the window

Swanny

Reaction score

Hi Just made all my window work on 2006 Cherokee. All were defunct. 2 windows had hole glass type. Awkward to get at, but get the glass to base of door you should see the plastic horror on the window, hole type. Plastic locator fits in hole so you have to push it back whilst lifting the glass off it. It dodgy? Get glass up to top and gorrilla tape it up. Then get the actuator assembly out. Great fun that. I got bored waiting for spare plastic part on the other side, non hole type? So bodged wonderfully. After few glasses of vino, but still works
I wired the cable where the plastic. Was drilled a few holes wired it. Araldite the rear. Wire used from Bubbly wire closure
Its tough in the UK

Attachments

• IMG_20220522_175149.jpg
    IMG_20220522_175149.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220522_181432.jpg
    IMG_20220522_181432.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Members online