HOW TO: Change power steering high-pressure and return hoses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea. I just got an Edelmann one from rockauto for like $30, looked just like the OEM one and has been fine for a year. Used Mopar orings though.
I probably can't go wrong no matter what route I choose.

I just wish I understood the difference in part numbers.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is really weird, The one says it fits 04-05 and the other 02-04... However seems like the only difference is 12 bucks?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
At first I thought the difference was that one has a place for the PS pressure sensor and the other didn't, but both hoses look like they do. I thought that was an 02 only thing, my 05 doesn't have it.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot about the pressure sensor on the 02. I just looked it up on RockAuto and I think HJ nailed it. If you can believe the images and descriptions on there, it looks like the 68146830AA doesn't have the switch port and the 52088714AH does.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot about the pressure sensor on the 02. I just looked it up on RockAuto and I think HJ nailed it. If you can believe the images and descriptions on there, it looks like the 68146830AA doesn't have the switch port and the 52088714AH does.
Ah makes sense. Now I wonder if my 04 has the sensor lol.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's easy to see. IIRC I think my 02 had one at the junction where the rubber tube met the hardline closest to the rack. Anyway it was pretty obvious.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for the high pressure hose, we drilled a hole in the plastic to make life easier. Probably accessible with a u-joint on the socket but this was faster. No bumper removal necessary. Fairly quick change. Just remove E-Fan, grille, and headlight.
You must be registered for see images attach

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea!!! I may be doing this soon to install a new line if I can't get rid of the whine from my after market pressure line that's missing the bracket.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry. I couldn't find that spare bracket for you.

No worries, I appreciate you looking. The whine isn't really terrible so I'll probably try to fab something if space allows otherwise I'll just replace the whole line with a Mopar.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most do but I believe the PO just bailed on this vehicle and probably traded it in with the leaking hose. The replacement was probably thrown on without a bracket just to sell it or trade it. Looked to have a brand new battery too. So the Edelmann was okay? That was my next choice and much more affordable.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So far it seems good. It's very quiet now. I compared the Edelmann to the Mopar side by side and it was identical. Got Mopar orings for it.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for the high pressure hose, we drilled a hole in the plastic to make life easier. Probably accessible with a u-joint on the socket but this was faster. No bumper removal necessary. Fairly quick change. Just remove E-Fan, grille, and headlight.

This only works on 02-04 KJs. On '05+ ones, you can only reach one of the two bolts by drilling a hole.
The fog light housing sits directly over the top of the second bolt, and it has a curved lip right in the spot where you would have to drill to reach the second bolt. The fog light housing is part of the plastic frame underneath the grille, so in order to remove it you would have to disassemble the entire front end as described in the first post in this topic.

I was able to get to the bolt using a small 10mm wrench (can't use a socket because the fog light housing sits directly on top of it). However, due to the extremely limited space in there, I was only able to turn the wrench 1/8th of a turn at a time. If you have an '05+ KJ and decide to do it this way, please do yourself a huge favor and make sure you at least have a ratcheting 10mm wrench. Doing it with a normal wrench is no fun at all :favorites68:.

seba

Reaction score
I just want to say thank you to everyone for this thread! I did this this past weekend and now everything is working on my 2005 KJ.

Summary of what I did for those out there.
Removed the grille, the crossmember to have access to remove the fan and then the serpentine.(you dont have to drill out the rivet holding the cover of the windshield washer reservoir. just slide it off)
Removed the battery with its tray and fuse box. the fog light of driver side just because the connector was in my way.
I had access to the back bracket nut with a regular ratchet thru a small space in between the fog light case and the body of the car.
The nut thats under the fog light, i got it with patience using a 10mm wrench from the space where the battery tray was.
To take out the hose from the pump you have to fix the hose fitting with either the flare nut wrench, which i didnt have. or you can use a stubby wrench for it. Is kinda hard to get but it works. I did it with a 22mm.
The one from the gear is really easy. with a 18mm regular wrench i got it out.
Put everything back again. Disconnect the return hose if you didnt before and put it out to a pan to flush the system next.
Then to flush the system I just followed this post here

And that's it! hope you all have good luck.

ClayMoose

Reaction score
Then you need to do a full write-up, or better still a real-time video if it really does take less than 20 minutes and doesn't require removing anything at all. I was going by the FSM procedure.

I'd be genuinely fascinated to see how you unbolt and replace the bracket under the headlamp so quickly with so little room to work, and also how you remove and replace the low-pressure line with the grille reinforcement in place.

I really really wanted to avoid having to take the reinforcement off, so it's a shame you didn't say anything when I was asking for help with the job in this thread.

If you remove the yellow marker light below the headlight you can put a wrench in through the opening to easily access the bolts for the high pressure line mounting bracket....you're welcome.

Latest posts

Members online