HOW TO: Change Oil In A KJ (Video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a zip lock bag or simular item to un screw the old one, it'll catch the old oil coming out of the filter...

nice tip. simple yet smart. ill do that to from now on.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you use a copper washer on the drain plug ?

I never have. IN fact, I would be concerned that adding pieces to the drain plug where the mfg didn't put them would increase the chance of leakage, not decrease it.

BlackDiamond

Reaction score
I never have. IN fact, I would be concerned that adding pieces to the drain plug where the mfg didn't put them would increase the chance of leakage, not decrease it.

Thanks, I thought it wasn't needed since I couldn't see it in the parts list and I haven't changed the oil myself before.

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motorcraft FL820S

Side note on the filter. I have been using FL820S for a while now. Interesting thing is that when I did an oil change last week, the new FL820S was 3/4 of an inch shorter than the old one.

I went back into my garage and compared the other new FL820S to another one I had purchased about 6 months ago (I Have 2 KJ's and always keep a filter on hand). the other newly purchased filter was also 3/4 inch shorter.

Bullett55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note on the filter. I have been using FL820S for a while now. Interesting thing is that when I did an oil change last week, the new FL820S was 3/4 of an inch shorter than the old one.

I went back into my garage and compared the other new FL820S to another one I had purchased about 6 months ago (I Have 2 KJ's and always keep a filter on hand). the other newly purchased filter was also 3/4 inch shorter.

That might make R&R a bit easier?? Let us know. Plus, does anyone use OEM Mopar filters?