How much does a roof rack kill MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tthompson442

Reaction score
I like the look and function of roof racks. I am considering one for my 02 Sport. However, it is my 66 mile round trip daily driver. I'm getting 16 - 17 on this trek. Anyone with a roof care to chime in on how much a roof rack killed their MPG's? Thanks in advance!

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the factory mopar/thule crossbars with a kayak/water sport attachment on all the time and i haven't noticed an effect on economy. I hear a little more wind noise occasionally... I think if you we wanting a cargo basket type rack you'll notice a decline in economy..

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really do not notice. But I take mine off if I am not planning to use them in a few days.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a big roof rack and it stays on there. It might cost me 1-2 mpg highway but I don't notice any difference around town. All the stuff I have in the cargo area probably affects it as much or more. I was doing a 35 mile per day commute a year or so ago and didn't ever notice filling up any more often than usual.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never noticed any difference on the ones I have had. Had one of the roof baskets mounted down low between the roof rails instead of 6 inches above which helped
The Rock Lizard one didn't make a bit of difference that I ever noticed

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its only a couple pounds... no different then subwoofer enclosures.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's more of what you put on the rack (weight and aerodynamics) than the rack itself.
Hauling a dead rhinoceros on top for instance will certainly kill your mpg.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's more of what you put on the rack (weight and aerodynamics) than the rack itself.
Hauling a dead rhinoceros on top for instance will certainly kill your mpg.

if you put 4:10s in it you'll be good :)

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you would be able to calculate any difference in anything larger than a bicycle.