how do i fix the upper ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im pretty sure my upper ball joint is going bad on the drivers side becassue its starting to clunk. What is the best way to do this and possibly the cheapest and fastest. I know the end all is jeepnbyal control arms but im not sure i want to drop that cash yet. what do you think the dealer would charge just to do the one? i need to replace the whole control arm right? Is that hard? sorry for the bunch of questions.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
there is a guy over on LOST who has a set for sale only have 11,000 miles on them I think be the cheapest and unless you are lifted Als will not fit Dealer would be way expensive

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am lifted, only a daystar kit, so als will work for me but thats a nasty price tag, and if i go stock i have that control arm so close to touching. which im cool with as long as its cheap

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Check the upper control arm bushings too, they can cause the same noise. You replace the upper control arm, be it ball joint or bushings. You almost have to replace the upper with ball joints, unless you can get them out, and press new ones in. If you are going to do that, you may as well get ones that allow for camber adjusting.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the upper control arm bushings too, they can cause the same noise. You replace the upper control arm, be it ball joint or bushings. You almost have to replace the upper with ball joints, unless you can get them out, and press new ones in. If you are going to do that, you may as well get ones that allow for camber adjusting.
The KJ's UBJ's are not replaceable,you must replace the whole UCA to replace the UBJ,it can not be pressed in or out.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so whats the consensis? should i go stock uca or do i have to go with als uca. the other side sounds fine

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bite the bullet, spend the $ and do it right with Al's arms. Otherwise next year you'll be replacing the stock ones again... I went through 2.5 sets of stock arms before finally getting Al's.

Todd
________
Land Rover Freelander

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online