Hood dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leonard w aalto

LA's Jeep
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the site, have always worked on my own car, and this one time I "Farmed out" having my 07 Liberty radiator replacement to a shop, due to a busy work schedule.
The day after I got the jeep back, I wanted to look under the hood to check fluids. I pulled the hood latch, and it was loose. No tension on the cable. I immediately figured the cable had been disconnected under the hood, and now I can't get the hood open.
As we all know, this hood is heavy and it is built like Fort Knox!
I called the mechanic and he said he would have to talk to a body shop next week.
Any ideas how to open this without destroying the grill or inserts?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get to the latch mechanism through the front grill somehow....I have seen some posts on this problem somewhere and will try to find them but if I remember correctly the front grill has to be removed from underneath somehow.

leonard w aalto

LA's Jeep
Reaction score
Thanks...
I was thinking on that line myself. Today the mechanic stepped up and said he spoke with the body guy next door. He will look at it this afternoon at 330. If he's lost, I'll pass this on.
Naturally, I'll let him try to take care of it, as it is cold here!
But if I have to; I'll lay on the ground: not the first time for me! (50 years of car work with no garage))Lenny

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I found one post where the cable came off the hood latch at the front.

He managed to lie underneath the front and by means of a 4 foot wooden pole he could trip the latch mechanism to get it open.;)

leonard w aalto

LA's Jeep
Reaction score
Thanks Bill,
I did go back to Dan's garage and Dan, Alex (the body guy next door) and I worked on it. We put it on Dan"s lift,(a nice luxury) and worked a 1/4" drive 10 mm swivel socket with a long extension between two grille insert slots to remove the 2 latch bolts.
The hood lifted up with the latch so we could release it.
The ball end of the cable had popped out of the release arm when Dan first did the job.
I held the light and watched these two work as a team!
Thanks for answering the post.
Grateful, Lenny

Latest posts

Members online