Hissing / Squealing Noise Brake Pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the brake booster replaced in my Jeep and now all of a sudden there is a hissing and squealing noise coming from the pedal whenever I press on it and when I let off of it and sometimes when I am driving it randomly makes this noise.

It's really annoying because it sounds like a balloon loosing air and someone squealing it.

I guess I need to take it back to the shop that installed it, but when I pointed this out to them originally, I was told it was "normal." Even though the service manual says that a hissing noise indicates a vacuum leak...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the brake booster replaced in my Jeep and now all of a sudden there is a hissing and squealing noise coming from the pedal whenever I press on it and when I let off of it and sometimes when I am driving it randomly makes this noise.

It's really annoying because it sounds like a balloon loosing air and someone squealing it.

I guess I need to take it back to the shop that installed it, but when I pointed this out to them originally, I was told it was "normal." Even though the service manual says that a hissing noise indicates a vacuum leak...

I agree on the vacuum leak. Check the vacuum hose attached to the brake booster - it is very prominent and easy to see. Runs from booster to the engine block. The vacuum hoses typically crack near where their attachment points at each end.

Bob

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the vacuum leak. Check the vacuum hose attached to the brake booster - it is very prominent and easy to see. Runs from booster to the engine block. The vacuum hoses typically crack near where their attachment points at each end.

Bob

I checked the hoses, they looked fine. I think it is the brake booster. I took it to Firestone and had one of their techs take a look. They also concluded it was the brake booster and that possibly one of the diaphragms is busted or some kind of leakage inside of it.

I found out that it is a Cardone Brake Booster from Advance Auto Parts and that they are remanufactured parts, but come with a lifetime warranty.

So I bought another one and will be taking it to the shop that installed it on Monday and hand them the new one and tell them to swap it out and refund me the old, defective one.

That way I don't have to wait for them to order it.

Gah...it's never ending... I just wish my Jeep would be fine and I could stop running all over the place. :icon_mad:

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the brake booster swapped out. It must have been defective. Ended up getting it refunded back from the shop that installed it and then bought some WeatherTech floor mats :)

Latest posts

Members online