High mileage oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to need to do an oil change in a few hundred miles. With just under 99k on it, would it be a good idea to switch to high mileage oil? It's going great on regular.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some claim it does better
BUT
with over 170,000 on mine running Mobil 1 since new I never use any oil at all and no leaks so see no need for high mileage oil.
My last XJ had 265,000 when I sold it and the same thing never saw a need for high mileage oil
Someone will prove me wrong but is it just a marketing gimmick?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The most important factor is frequent changes with quality oil & filter.
Even though I am not a big fan of regular dino oil due to carbon by products and reduced cleaning & flow characteristics, many engines have enjoyed long life trouble free as long as it never has run low or without the regular changes.
I run synthetics Mobil 1 5w-30 and have found it works well but still some valve train noise present. (almost like the oil is too thin or something)
I recently discovered this Bio-Engine product that I now use and oil is cooler and valves dont seem to be anywhere near as noisy.
LUBEGARD BIO-TECH Engine Oil Protectant
I change the oil & filter out every 3500 miles or when it gets dark dirty on the bottom in the AM. ( Mobil 1 does clean well and it gets dirtier around that mileage)

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are losing some oil during the oil change interval, then there is no reason you should switch from what you currently use.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Love oil threads,almost as much as filter threads. I would just use what you are using now,I buy whatever the deal is at the parts house and change at 3000m. No oil usage yet. 212,000+ mile. And you know I baby Libby.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are not having any problems I would just keep using what you are using now and just keep doing your routine oil/filter changes.

I did use that Valvoline High Mileage Oil in a GMC Jimmy I had with 200,000 miles on it and didn't see any difference really. Marketing BS? I don't know?

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Alright...I'll just stick to the usual Valvoline. Thanks everyone.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did use that Valvoline High Mileage Oil in a GMC Jimmy I had with 200,000 miles on it and didn't see any difference really. Marketing BS? I don't know?
I personally don't think it is totally marketing B.S.

The Chrysler 3.8L in my '06 T&C is know to use about a quart per 3K miles. at 90K miles, when I bought it, I switched it to Mobil 1 0W-20. It used about a quart over 5k miles. I switched it to Quaker State High Mileage 5W-20 at 100k miles and it slowed to half a quat for 5K miles.

For the most part, it has worked for me in this situation.

However, I feel that if you take good care of a motor from the beginning, it shouldn't need much more than regular changes with quality oil.

I don't feel that you HAVE to switch your vehicle to HM oil the moment it hits 75K miles.

However, if your motor does develope some consumption issues, or you buy a somewhat neglected motor, I do believe HM oil can help remedy some of the issues. Maybe not solve them, but they do seem to help.

Just my $.02.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If Quaker State is like it used to be it more than likely did slow down the oil consumption, that stuff is crap ( or was)
Back when I was doing engines all the time you could tell one using QS as soon as you pulled off the valve covers, all sludged up
crap oil

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Tech oil from Wal-Mart, Fram filters are the only way to go. Best oil and filter for the money,by far.

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mobil 1 full syn with fram tough guard thats what the original owner put in it at 7 miles and thats what i put in it and the only leak was the valve cover gasket and a bad pcv valve caused it to consume a little while back but since than no consumption

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Quaker State is like it used to be it more than likely did slow down the oil consumption, that stuff is crap ( or was)
Back when I was doing engines all the time you could tell one using QS as soon as you pulled off the valve covers, all sludged up
crap oil
From what I can tell and read, it isn't close to the same sludger it use to be.

Although, I'm not an engineer nor do I break motors down very often.

And, I mostly only use Mobil 1, so I don't have very much experience with anything else.

Lastly, I only used QS for one or two 5k changes. I switched to Valvoline NxtGen HM 5W-20. Not sure what I'm going to run next. So, I haven't ran QS in my van long enough to be able to tell what it is doing, other than slowing consumption. In fact, I'm probably just going to run the cheapest name brand HM oil I can find each OC.