High mileage club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit 196k today. I've replaced:

Pads/rotors
Radiator
R&P and inner/Outer tre
Lower BJ'S
Front UCA's
Rear UCA & LCA'S
Alternator
Front ds CV head
CV axles, Intermediate shaft, hubs
Rear ds u joints
Spark plugs, 1 coil, upstream o2's, and fuel filter

Sounds like alot but not really. My rig was towed behind an rv, then wasn't driven much for a few years. I replaced the suspension stuff when I did the lift since it was already apart.

Compared to the list on my dad's s 10 with 230k, it's not bad at all. He actually takes very good care of his truck too.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious. How much mileage are ya'll expecting to keep running your jeep?
I'm about 145k and things are starting to kaput and require replacements.
Just trying to weigh the cost to replace things versus the life left on my jeep.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm hoping that once I'm done w/ grad school and have a job, the jeep will be a weekend vehicle.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to weigh the cost to replace things versus the life left on my jeep.

I'm hoping that once I'm done w/ grad school and have a job, the jeep will be a weekend vehicle.

Mine had 140,000 on it when I bought it lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

207,000 now, if the motor goes tomorrow I'll replace it and keep going, still cheaper than replacing with a hunk of garbage that they call new. There hasn't been anything since 07 made that i would drive unless it was just to have a throw away vehicle

Don't get caught up in the I have a new job, I have to have a new car now mindset. I used to think I needed a new one every other year, with my old one as a back up. I now make more than I ever did before and drive a 10 year old KJ that makes me smile every time I start down the road .

Last edited:

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep had over 350k when they stole it on the 4th of July. I was approved for a substantial auto loan but would have had to buy a 2007 or newer vehicle... I said F that and went and bought another 02 kj with just under 190,000 miles on it. Knowing that I could fix whatever might go wrong with the car and cheaply too. I love not having 35 different computers driving for me... No traction control, rpms, seat belt chime, no ABS, No stability control, no incline control , etc... Etc... LoL :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My jeep had over 350k when they stole it on the 4th of July. I was approved for a substantial auto loan but would have had to buy a 2007 or newer vehicle... I said F that and went and bought another 02 kj with just under 190,000 miles on it. Knowing that I could fix whatever might go wrong with the car and cheaply too. I love not having 35 different computers driving for me... No traction control, rpms, seat belt chime, no ABS, No stability control, no incline control , etc... Etc... LoL :)

Agree completely hate traction control/ABS etc, if you like it great, I don't :thumbsdown:

Joejeeper420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree completely hate traction control/ABS etc, if you like it great, I don't :thumbsdown:

It's so much easier working on a "mechanical" 02 than anything new with a plethora of sensors and doodads that can go faulty :)

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I am falling in love with Pepper after putting some work on her. Will be doing more this Saturday. I would hate to see all that hard work go to waste.
:D

Just curious, how much would it cost to put a new v6 engine in? Cost and labor? I don't really have the skill set/tools to do it.

Last edited:

motmcd

Reaction score
2002 Liberty, Sport, 3.7, 5-spd, 145k...not including normal wear replacement parts (brakes, rotors, filters, plugs, etc.) replaced:

- (2x) blower resistor cards
- Radiator
- Ball Joints (recall program)
- (2x) Upper ball joint, rear suspension
- (1x) Rear stabilizer bar and body mounts
- Front struts and springs
- Rear shocks and springs
- Steering Rack
- AC Compressor and clutch assembly
- Driver's seat recliner mechanism
- Fuel filter (I consider this a non-routine maintenance item on the Liberty because of its ridiculous location and amount of time to change...plus the outrageous price)
- Clutch assembly
- (2x) rear wiper motor
- Rear window lock mechanism
- A few instrument illumination bulbs
- Elective stereo and speaker upgrades (after stock radio started to get wacky)

Harri

Reaction score
05 Libby. 3.7 l 4 spd auto 4x4. 147k. We have done nothing but general maintenance( knock on wood) and still running strong. Hopefully we will be getting my wife a new ride in the spring, then I will be taking the jeep over!

03jeep

Reaction score
03 jeep 152xxx miles and runs strong.... replaced

high pressure power steering line- from advanceautoparts
2water pumps-from advanceautoparts 1st 1 only lasted 20k miles

things i plan to replace before winter
front wheel bearings
02 sensors-already have em from advance
knock sensor
and shocks-thinking of doing a lift since im messing with it nothing extreme its wife commuter
changed all fluids
complete tune up
I'm getting horrible gas mileage

all info appreciated

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What O2 sensors did you buy? If they were anything but NTK, take them back. Don't bother; it'll only be worse.

Trust me. Put Denso in mine, which are great in GMs, but they suck in the Liberty. Swapped them for NTKs and my drivability and mileage went back up.

You'll need spark plugs. They're 30,000 mile plugs on this - and NGK copper is it. The info is under the hood.

Oh, and pull and clean the IAC valve.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What MPGs is everyone getting?

mine is pretty low from 11-13 MPGs in city.

I'm going to try some Gumout regane high mileage fuel system cleaner.

Last edited:

03jeep

Reaction score
What O2 sensors did you buy? If they were anything but NTK, take them back. Don't bother; it'll only be worse.

Trust me. Put Denso in mine, which are great in GMs, but they suck in the Liberty. Swapped them for NTKs and my drivability and mileage went back up.

You'll need spark plugs. They're 30,000 mile plugs on this - and NGK copper is it. The info is under the hood.

Oh, and pull and clean the IAC valve.

yup there denso i though they were ok i used denso in my old civic and it was amazing the difference it made but i dont know now...

about the IAC valve i was just reading about it, hopefully it fixes the idle problem it doesnt idle high or to low, but it feel almost as if it misfires? havent gotten around to that one maybe thats why i get a horrible mpg

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup there denso i though they were ok i used denso in my old civic and it was amazing the difference it made but i dont know now...

about the IAC valve i was just reading about it, hopefully it fixes the idle problem it doesnt idle high or to low, but it feel almost as if it misfires? havent gotten around to that one maybe thats why i get a horrible mpg

Let me know how that goes. I still need to clean mine off based on LibertyTC's thread on cleaning it.