High mileage club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gadaddy

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Liberty Sport with 198,000+ on the 3.7 L V6. Very minor issues so far.

a couple of wheel speed sensors
replaced valve cover gaskets recently
passenger side power window track replaced
new windshield
nothing major with regular maintenance

Attachments

• Clean up day (4) - Fall 2013.jpg
    Clean up day (4) - Fall 2013.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

slipinkramer

Reaction score
I just sold my 2003 with the 4 cylinder Power Tech engine, 5 speed trans and 4x4. I drove it for 300,000 miles and never had any serious trouble until the last 25,000 mile. It was pretty much falling apart at the end...

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nearing 125K on my 2005 Renegade KJ. Its been a DD since day one and its now a few months away from being retired as a work commuter vehicle, as soon as I buy a little car to drive on the highway. Then, its time for a front bumper and winch, and bigger mud tires to replace the AT's!

TayJeep

Reaction score
100,000 mile + maintenance

Sorry, Im not trying to hijack this thread but new to Jeeps and will be picking one up for my daughter. She is looking at either an 03 limited 110,000 miles or 06 limited with 130,000. Not sure which direction to go really.
Are there maintenance items needed other than the typical oil, filters, brakes? I realize things wear out but are there typical or problematic things that I should be looking for or replacing?

Thanks!

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Im not trying to hijack this thread but new to Jeeps and will be picking one up for my daughter. She is looking at either an 03 limited 110,000 miles or 06 limited with 130,000. Not sure which direction to go really.
Are there maintenance items needed other than the typical oil, filters, brakes? I realize things wear out but are there typical or problematic things that I should be looking for or replacing?

Thanks!

i would go with the 06 (even though it has more miles the early model kj's had some engine and trans issues. the 03 may not have those issues but i know they worked them out in the later years for sure. i would check for rust around the center brake light (roof mounted), if it vibrates at highway speeds it is more than likely the u-joints on the rear drive shaft. it is hard to say what else you will need for it without seeing it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would go with the 06 (even though it has more miles the early model kj's had some engine and trans issues. the 03 may not have those issues but i know they worked them out in the later years for sure. i would check for rust around the center brake light (roof mounted), if it vibrates at highway speeds it is more than likely the u-joints on the rear drive shaft. it is hard to say what else you will need for it without seeing it.

I have to politely disagree, as the '03 might have the 45RFE.

Avg Joe

Reaction score
Just flipped 180k on my 2003 Sport Freedom.
Have, in the last year, replaced the radiator, water pump, hoses and thermostat. Had ****** rebuilt. Front upper c arms, tie rod ends, lower ball joints, rotors and one caliper. Rear upper c arm bushings and ball joint. Rear c arm bushings. Repaired numerous vacuum leaks to clear EVAP check engine light. Replaced 2/2 o2 sensor.

On the menu in the next month?
Coils. Front lower c arm bushings. Inner tie rods and rack mount bushings. Sway bar bushings. Replace both front hubs.

I have not 1 complaint so far, except that I was the second owner. Bought it with 30k on the ticker and in mint condition tho

Function > Form

Reaction score
190,000 kms (~118,000 miles) 2003 3.7L Sport 4x4

PO did brakes and A/C condenser and a few other maintenance items.

I recently did the following:
- tires;
- rad and hoses;
- hood struts;
- new driveshaft CV head;
- windshield; and
- sparkplugs (ermagerd...they were probably never done!!)...even the ones in the spare tire :mexsmoke:

Will soon be doing the following:
- suspension front and rear (springs are sagged ~1.25" and all shocks are toast);
- new coolant bottle;
- rear hatch struts;
- valve cover gaskets; and
- needs a new heater core (plugged, which is apparently common and a PITA to replace)

I have minor 3rd brake light rust and rockers of course (salt belt up here).

Runs like a top, lots of power. Plugs looked nice and healthy when I took them out...aside from a gap like the Grand Canyon and an electrode that looked like a well-used pencil!! :thumbsdown:

Function > Form

Reaction score

Thanks!

Check these common Liberty problems:
- rad end tank condition,
- the front driveshaft boots' condition (sounds like a rattling and jingling sound in 4x2 if really bad, but might be absent in 4x2 if it's not bad yet, but it would be very pronounced in 4x4),
- how far the springs have sagged (measure from middle of hub to fender lip - stock is around 19.5" if I recall correctly)
- leaky psgr side valve cover causing a 'blown out birthday candle' smell when idling/sitting at a stop light (when hot)

There are various trim levels and options also. If possible, check whether it has a rear lsd called 'Trac Lok'. I can't recall what to look for on the sticker, but I think there is a fairly obvious code on it (on the rear axle).

There are two 4x4 options - Command Trac and Selec Trac. The latter is more desirable - it has 4x2, 4x4 with centre diff open, 4x4 with centre diff locked and 4x4 centre diff locked in low range.

Good luck - lucky daughter!! PM me if you have questions - I didn't subscribe to the thread.

michi4773

Reaction score
My husband has an 03 Liberty Limited with 155,000 miles. I think he's having normal old age problems with it...getting normal things replaced and all...he had the oil pressure sensor replaced and something with the water pump but that's all he can remember that's been big.

I liked his so much that I went out last summer and got myself a 2002 Renegade :). It only had about 45K miles on it, but it turns out I had to have the whole heater core replaced because these people hardly ever drove it. The mechanic was going to keep it and use it to show people what happens when they don't get their flushes done. :)

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '04 Renegade will hit 111,000 miles this week. No major issues so far outside of routine maintenance. I do need to swap out the oil pressure switch and transfer case position sensor one of these days, but that's pretty minor. Oh...almost forgot...the front windows received new steel regulators right after I bought it in 2012.

Shoey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turned over 140,000 miles this morning, bought it back in January. After checking the carfax, saw that I'm the second owner. Mainly have done just normal wear and tear stuff:

New plugs and coils
New hub assemblies
Brake pads
Water pump failed on me going down the road a few months ago, causing the serpentine belt to come off.
Sagging suspension, but the rest of my Ironman 4x4 lift will be here Friday
Did a transmission fluid and filter change, have a small leak now so I need to go re-torque all the bolts again.
Other than that, just kept the oil changed every 4k miles.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use RTV for the pan (and the one bolt) or did you use a gasket?

ivantate

Reaction score
How much trans fluid did it need after dropping the pan?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spec is for RTV, not a gasket. Probably why you have a leak.

Latest posts

Members online