HIDS in stock housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtodd05kj

Reaction score
Hey all,
Im coming from a car that had projector headlights with HID's in them. Currently I have normal halogen bulbs in stock housings and I hate the light coverage and the output.
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket HIDs in the stock housing. I know HIDs usually scatter light every where with reflector type housing. But the housing in my 2005 seem to do a good job controlling the light thus far.
Thanks

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up you're about to get a lot of negative feedback.

I'm just gonna leave this up to fact: halogen housings are not meant for HIDs, and are not 50 state legal for HIDs.

I'm not saying I would or wouldn't do it. I'm also saying nobody here would or wouldn't do it. But most people wouldn't.

Upgrading to a better halogen bulb is your best legal option.

rtodd05kj

Reaction score
That's why I worded it the way I did.. I am not looking to blind people in front of me. And that's why on my last car I upgraded to projector headlights to control the light output so I wouldn't bind anyone and I would get even light output and coverage. I have seen a few vehicles that have halogen housings and handle the light quite well. If the Jeep housings scatter light at other drivers, I am not going to do it.
My next question would be what halogen bulbs play well with these housing. I have seen really good reviews on PIAA and Silverstar Ultras. Any other brands I should look at?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
My next question would be what halogen bulbs play well with these housing. I have seen really good reviews on PIAA and Silverstar Ultras. Any other brands I should look at?

Another loaded question ... :happy175: Lot's of opinions on the best bulbs. :D Personally I love the PIAAs.

rtodd05kj

Reaction score
Guess Ill stay away from the opinion based questions lol Guess Ill just order a few different bulbs and see which ones I like the best.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I didn't mean to discourage you from asking ... it's just after a while you anticipate the flood of "excited" opinions. :happy175:

rtodd05kj

Reaction score
Its all good. I have been in forums for each of the vehicles I have owned, 9 times out of 10 the info you get is great. Im sure every forum has those very opinionated members. And even they are usually pretty knowledgeable.

rtodd05kj

Reaction score
That's exactly the answer. I just looked through the forum and found 1000000 threads about HIDs so I apologize for the newbish behavior of not searching first!

Last question that I cant find. The fog lights mounted on the bumper..Whats the bulb size?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly the answer. I just looked through the forum and found 1000000 threads about HIDs so I apologize for the newbish behavior of not searching first!

Last question that I cant find. The fog lights mounted on the bumper..Whats the bulb size?

Let me know when you find that one out. I've asked it a few times and haven't gotten an answer because one of mine burned out. Didn't want to order one online without knowing what one I needed.

Mine are not on the bumper though but in the grill. Not sure if they are the same size for both or not.

ebelements

Reaction score
Let me start out by saying I totally agree with all the people who say halogen reflectors with HID drop in kits are a poor solution to an illumination problem. I've done 6 or so HID upgrades on numerous vehicles, and clearly the best way to go is a true HID projector retrofit. I did my first one a year ago after having primarily run HIDs in halogen projectors. The difference is substantial.

That said, my KJ currently has a set of DDM Tuning HIDs with the High/Low motors and surprisingly doesn't suck as bad as you'd think. Glare isn't bad at all, but beam pattern does suffer a good bit... so a TRS morimoto mini retrofit is on the future mods list. It is however acceptable enough that I picked up another set for my DR650, where there isn't enough room for a true retrofit.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Mine are not on the bumper though but in the grill. Not sure if they are the same size for both or not.

2 different sizes Hed ... from the Sylvainia list

Fog/Driving light
H3-55W

Fog/Driving light

Latest posts

Members online