Projector HID headlights on KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm used to HID lights, but Liberty's headlights do not work well with them.
On one hand they do not light the road as good as projectors do, on the other they can be blinding for some folks.

Unfortunately no one makes projector headlights for KJ.

So on the weekend i bought some stuff and made these:

Process of fabrication:
You must be registered for see images

And installed:

They have "Angel's eyes" parking lights integrated:

And this is how they shine:

What do you guys think?

luckblackbird

Reaction score
This is the mod I'v looking for. It looks great...

I'v found a bi-xenon kit, but my concern is how to install it. How did you cut the headlights?

Would you mind describing the process in detail?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Cool,looks like they work well. Am sure others will be wanting more detail about this.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are universal fit bi-xenon projectors.

Stages:

- Take the grill and headlights off
- Heat up the headlights for sealant to become soft
- Take the glass out
- Cut the bulb shield out
- Remove sealant from the headlights and glass
- Paint the reflectors and the outer rings (the ones between the glass and the reflector)
- Channel wires from parking light and high beam switch through the stock parking light hole (sorry, just on european KJs)
- Put goffer on the wires
- Mount the projector
- Put new sealant on the headlight
- Wipe out fingerprints :)
- Put on the glass
- Put sealant on the stock parking light holes
- Put everything back
- Enjoy

Also headlight electric correctors still work, so i can adjust the beam height from the cabin. I believe that is also just for the european KJs. Nice thing by the way.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right - we only beam adjusters we have here are the screws that hold the light in. We'd have to get out with a screwdriver to adjust the beam.

Awesome project! How do they differ? Less light disbursement, but longer? Meaning, like a thinner longer pattern? Do they blind other drivers?

I wasn't sure on the look, but I think I like it. It looks mean and evil...kind of reminds me of the Terminator.

ferraricheals

Reaction score
Max, the kit is universal fit, but who is it made by?

I would like to find one here in Italy for our KJ, for installation after we get it down to New Zealand (certainly wouldn't be able to do a conversion like this in Italy!!)

thanks, great storyboard.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right - we only beam adjusters we have here are the screws that hold the light in. We'd have to get out with a screwdriver to adjust the beam.

Awesome project! How do they differ? Less light disbursement, but longer? Meaning, like a thinner longer pattern? Do they blind other drivers?

I wasn't sure on the look, but I think I like it. It looks mean and evil...kind of reminds me of the Terminator.

The light is more concentrated, there is almost nothing above the beam line, so no one gets blinded at all.

Yep, looks exactly like it - evil, teminator-like, especially when just the parking lights are on. Unfortunately my mobile phone's camera cannot show how it actually looks, but i'll make some new photos.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max, the kit is universal fit, but who is it made by?

I would like to find one here in Italy for our KJ, for installation after we get it down to New Zealand (certainly wouldn't be able to do a conversion like this in Italy!!)

thanks, great storyboard.

Thanks!

I'll look at the packaging tonight and get back to you, i don't remember the brand, but it's nothing famous like hella, or piaa...

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is awesome. It looks better than I thought it would and the beam looks pretty good.

Nice work.:)

Midgear

Reaction score
ah, looked them up on my iPhone.. stupid work computer and it's picky security.

looks awesome. Might have to try this.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good.

Thank you for doing it the right way and taking pictures, now we have a viable reference for people wanting to just throw HID bulbs in the stock housing.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna know why exports get cool stuff like that and we dont?? Whats up with that?

Cause they have different regulations... Here in the US we have strict lighting regulations that the manufacturers have to follow, the lights have to be aimed at a certain height at a certain distance, etc.. Over there they are allowed to adjust them within a range, not exactly sure how the rules on that over there are maybe Tony or the OP can fill us in on that.

I can't honestly think of a situation where i would need to adjust on the fly like that but its still neat!