HID headlight kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Eww.

This is what you want, the ultimate goal... WHITE and BRIGHT LIGHT OUTPUT.

(Granted I do not have projectors, so I am the evil bastard with HIDs in halogen reflectors, but the color you want to see dang sure isn't blue, purple or pink!!!)

You must be registered for see images

That's 5000k. If anyone decides to come up with a projector housing for my Jeep, I will buy.

L

lil black liberty

You know honestly the projector headlight idea really wouldn't be too hard would it? Considering they make Halo Headlights.. I'm sure you could find one..

Also my SS Ultra's put out 4500K...The Brightest and Whitest Rated HID is in the ranges between 4100K and 4300K mind you not D.O.T Approved nor Legal...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Eww.

This is what you want, the ultimate goal... WHITE and BRIGHT LIGHT OUTPUT.

(Granted I do not have projectors, so I am the evil bastard with HIDs in halogen reflectors, but the color you want to see dang sure isn't blue, purple or pink!!!)

That's 5000k. If anyone decides to come up with a projector housing for my Jeep, I will buy.

I swerve at drivers like you and give them heart failure!:D

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to say don't do it...I freely admit to having no knowledge of the legalities regarding vehicular lighting matters in the USA. If it is indeed illegal, then there is no point in pursuing any argument on this matter.

The legality of this is a very valid stand-point.

I do like my driving lights, bright, white and oh so much of it.
Not the same as his system but a means to an end. BUT they only come with high beam when you have them switched into the circuit and we often have 10 000 m of flat open country to see lots of animals, roads that simply disappear, bulldust, washouts etc.
You cannot use them with low.
Just dandy! but suited to country driving here anyway. It is a NEED not a want, here.

However, you are getting into some tricky territory...that of the three dimensional aspect of the various paraboloids of reflectors, the nature of the beam, coupled with the fresnel lens effects which are not so obvious to the uninitiated but incorporated into ALL vehicle lighting lens forms.

However, I am certain the relative area that the reflector system plays has little bearing on whether or not it is suitable for the HID system it is more related to the appearance of a vehicle. If they (the manufacturer) can use a smaller lens/reflector system and enhance the look of their product then of course, they will do so.

All the best with your venture. If you proceed, I certainly would like to read how you get on.

If there are those who wish to argue this on a genuine engineering basis then I suggest a separate thread might be the place but there is little point if it is indeed illegal.
Cheers
Auberon

Last edited:

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i recently installed some 6000K HIDs.
the install was very simple, mounting the ballast took some creative thinking to mount well. my biggest complaint is the lack of high-beam.
the HID's high-beam is a joke. i thought about upgrading to a bi-xenon kit... but i'm thinking it isn't worth the hassle or money. the HIDs are no doubt brighter... but they don't really through light that much further. i amy go back the sylvannia bright whites i had before... they were great, but at least i had high-beams.... i'll bet there will be an issue when i try to get the car inspected and the check the lights. i can take picks of my install if you still want, but i'm a user of the HIDs and not a huge fan.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
the HIDs are no doubt brighter... but they don't really through light that much further.

I've noticed that mine only throw light SLIGHTLY further out, I guess that's the "glare" everyone always complains about.

But overall, my goal was a "whiter" light instead of the normal "yellow".

And my goals have been accomplished. But as I said before, the minute I see a projector housing around that is NOT RICEY, I will buy. There are some, plenty, actually for the '05-'07 WKs, but there's two problems, 1. They are ricey, and 2. I have an '08.

There is always the opportunity for me to pick up the factory HID setup, but oh boy are those expensive...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gee my HID's throw light well over 1 mile,then again there not in my headlights either and are in the correct housings(and 6x's the cost of those headlight retro fit HID's).Don't know there Kelvin but they are only 35watt ones but will blind anything up to a mile away,great for driving on the back roads back home to stop them deer long ways off.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Canada we have a federally mandated rule that all vehicles manufactured after 1995 must have daytime running lights. This messes with HID converted headlight operation causing early HID ballast failures.

But we can still buy a set of HID driving/spot lamps but certainly not for highway use. I don't believe the highway regulations have caught up with HID technology yet.

jpmorgan

Reaction score
installed the hids lastnight... looks great... nice blue light even made a freind drive the car and i drove towards him in his ... not a bad glare .. the problem is the light is more projected to the sides than the front

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installed the hids lastnight... looks great... nice blue light even made a freind drive the car and i drove towards him in his ... not a bad glare .. the problem is the light is more projected to the sides than the front

Nice blue light?? So now your one of those on the road that i want to shoot out your headlights as you pass by because the ******* hurt your eyes.

I passed a Ricer about a week ago with the same, at least i assume as thats how they looked, they were so bad that people were coasting off to the side because they had to look away. Called state patrol and was told he was stopped a few miles later by a unit that witnessed it first hand. He got a fix it ticket im sure. Here in MN that means the officer issued a ticket that says the headlights must be repaired and pass inspection by a licensed mechanic, so you have to take it to a shop and pay them to repair or replace and then u take your receipt to court as proof to get the ticket dropped.

If you don't the ticket stays on your record and the next time you get stopped and they find an uncleared fix it ticket on your record your towed and suspended.

Anyway, you might not have found it annoying driving at it in another car but thats only because your biased as its your vehicle. Eventually someone will find them annoying and since they aren't factory your left holding the bill if you get ticketed.

Now if you would have put in 4-6k HID's that are at least white i wouldn't have as much a problem with it, but those blue bastards suck man. There is a reason why you don't see as many of them on the road anymore, most manufacturers quit using them after complaints. I remember hearing about dealers doing swaps on them to get rid of the blue HID's after getting stopped for whats called Nuisance Lighting here in MN.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a buddy who can be a crazy driver he usually just leaves his brights on at the car with those sh!tty HID kits that people put in car that do not need them, but once i was with him and someone had them coming at him he put his brights on and swerved into their lane to scare him. Eventhough he had plenty of room it scared the **** out of me, the car behind us ended up flashing there brights at him too, it makes me wonder if they ever get the point? :p

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Right. And if the OP is going for 10000k like stated, he's going to have dim, blue/purple light. Very annoying. I can't stand blue, green, pink or red headlights. I've seen them all. Even seen a KJ and a WK with pink HIDs. Driven by women of course. :p

L

lil black liberty

Woah WHAT? PINK?? Eh...Wouldn't Catch Me With That Crapola...

77baja

Reaction score
i know this thread is old but you could always do a retro fit like this.