HID headlight kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpmorgan

Reaction score
i just ordered a 10k hid headlight conversion kit for my libby. does anyone know any tips to installing it

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its pretty much idiot proof just find somewhere good to mount the ballast. if u didnt get bi xenons expect no high beams

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also expect really crappy wild light output... All the ones i have seen put into a KJ look like crap because the lens and reflector doesn't make a very good pattern, just looks like an annoying flood light when you meet it on the road, and from the drivers point of view it doesnt get out very far.

Just my opinion... But your better off putting in some better bulbs.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
search around this site or the internet in general and you will find anyone who thinks about other drivers and laws will not put hid kits into housings made for standard halogen bulbs. Not only is the bulb a little bit different size, but a halogen and hid bulb put light out in two different fashions (halogen need a reflector which is why our headlights are so big and hids need a projector to just focus the light which is why bmw, mercedes, etc.. have small headlights).

For the sake of people driving in front of you and especially oncoming on a two way street, do not install hid bulbs in a housing designed for halogens, the light is so scattered it is blinding to others.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put in PIAA extreme whites. They're awesome.

X2....

I need to get some for my KJ, a friend of mine has them in his truck, what a difference.

I was going to buy some for myself like the same day and found they were sold out at the local advance auto.

L

lil black liberty

Please for the love of God don't put in the HID's...

#1 in most states they are not D.O.T legal and therefore illegal you will get stopped or get a hell of a ticket
#2 you will/can blind the other drivers due to a scattering pattern of the light beam, our headlights can't be focused enough to properly contain the HID's you need a PROJECTOR LENS which can be done if I am not mistaken, I believe DEPO makes headlights for this purpose...and I was told you can take the current headlights and modify it yourself somehow to make it a projector system I don't know if thats true or not..
#3 You can benefit so much more from something like a Xenon 9007 regular bulb not those cheap Blue lights on ebay either.. Something that actually uses the Real gas in the 4000-5000K Range should be perfect
#4 go here if you want the truth danielsternlightning.com or http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445729 because PIAA lights are not all that bright as you can see by the Forum comments.. Phillips makes one hell of a bulb and I recommend them or even the new Slyvania Superstar Ultras which is what I use and I love them much much brighter over my 9007 True Blue lights..

Also 10K means purple lights... That means it will be super dim and hard to see in rainy conditions...

L

lil black liberty

X's two with what lil black stated

Thank you... I have been there and DONE THAT... It's not a good situation.. I almost killed a guy with those HID's because I didn't realize the glare effect til one night I saw people swerving off into ditches and I was like damn what is the deal here.. The next night I was following my dad and he actually pulled over and told me to turn off my highs he couldn't see, I told him I didn't have them on and he was like damn that's just too bright and the glare is horrible.. So please stay away from the HID's unless you get the proper headlight and proper Kelvin..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yawn. I won't repeat the "legality" issues, because I run HIDs myself (although I would never run them in the KJ for those legal reasons...)

But why in the world did you order 10,000K temperature!??!?!?!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I didn't bother reading any of this thread...
H.I.D. lighting in your stock head lamp reflectors will SUCK!
They were NOT designed for them and will not give you the correct
light pattern and will bother oncoming drivers!
Buy some PIAA's You won't be dis apointed!

L

lil black liberty

I didn't bother reading any of this thread...
H.I.D. lighting in your stock head lamp reflectors will SUCK!
They were NOT designed for them and will not give you the correct
light pattern and will bother oncoming drivers!
Buy some PIAA's You won't be dis apointed!

Bother oncoming drivers?? How about Blind/Possibly hurt?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
search around this site or the internet in general and you will find anyone who thinks about other drivers and laws will not put hid kits into housings made for standard halogen bulbs. Not only is the bulb a little bit different size, but a halogen and hid bulb put light out in two different fashions (halogen need a reflector which is why our headlights are so big and hids need a projector to just focus the light which is why bmw, mercedes, etc.. have small headlights).

For the sake of people driving in front of you and especially oncoming on a two way street, do not install hid bulbs in a housing designed for halogens, the light is so scattered it is blinding to others.

HIDs do NOT need a reflector. There are PLENTY of cars out there FROM THE FACTORY which use reflectors with HID bulbs. Granted it is designed FOR the light from the HID bulb.

The KJ housing doesn't take too well to HID bulbs. Then again with how dim the 10,000K color temperature is, the OP may not blind/scare/distract anybody....

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
HIDs do NOT need a reflector. There are PLENTY of cars out there FROM THE FACTORY which use reflectors with HID bulbs. Granted it is designed FOR the light from the HID bulb.

The KJ housing doesn't take too well to HID bulbs. Then again with how dim the 10,000K color temperature is, the OP may not blind/scare/distract anybody....

All lights "need" something to throw the light out in front on the vehicle...
Whether it be a focused lens(Projector-Optimal) or a reflector!
Here's an ok link about lighting...
There are other, but they are not in English!
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
Anyway, it will answer some questions about H.I.D., the placement of a bulb fillament in relation to the lamps reflector, and techno weenie stuff like that!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It really sort of depends on the reflector and even the lens. Some are worse than others. KJ isn't a very good example but there are MUCH WORSE examples which will glare like mad with HIDs.

In the KJ's case, it's not a very good idea. There *are* some vehicles which have very little glare with the HID bulbs.