HID for less than $70- 100+ ? Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a HID conversion kit for less than an arm and a leg that is good. No flicker, is digital and all that. Maybe I have been looking around in all the wrong places because I am having some trouble.
I want to replace my current headlights with something that puts out some real light. On top of that MD has some strict light laws. Currently it’s like 4 not including factory headlights. So figure 2 fogs and 2 driving = 4 right there.
Let me know what’s up.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a HID conversion kit for less than an arm and a leg that is good. No flicker, is digital and all that. Maybe I have been looking around in all the wrong places because I am having some trouble.
I want to replace my current headlights with something that puts out some real light. On top of that MD has some strict light laws. Currently it’s like 4 not including factory headlights. So figure 2 fogs and 2 driving = 4 right there.
Let me know what’s up.

Its illegal to convert to HID. Anything other then the oem design is actually non-compliant, depending on who you ask. But it is definately a no-no to throw a pair of HIDs into a standard lens and call it good. You'll blind other drivers, which could lead to wrecks. The KJs have good headlights already IMO. If you want more light offroading, add some HID lights. If you need more high beam power, you could upgrade to bulbs with a 100w highbeam, just research whether you will need to make wiring changes for the increased current draw. If you are having problems seeing at night in the city with the lowbeams, you may have a night vision impairment(no slight against you or anything), or headlights not aimed right.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May look into silverstars. They seem to be a whiter light, and to me work a little better, but trade off is a little shorter bulb life. Also, stay away from them ricer blue headlight bulbs. Even with HID, the blue colors dont give you anymore light, in fact usually less usuable light. 4300-500*K would be ideal IMO for add on fogs or driving lights.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually wanting to put some KC Daylighters on my factory 2006 Limited bumper where it sticks out a bit. Similar in style to the Renegade..

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its illegal to convert to HID. Anything other then the oem design is actually non-compliant, depending on who you ask. But it is definately a no-no to throw a pair of HIDs into a standard lens and call it good. You'll blind other drivers, which could lead to wrecks. The KJs have good headlights already IMO. If you want more light offroading, add some HID lights. If you need more high beam power, you could upgrade to bulbs with a 100w highbeam, just research whether you will need to make wiring changes for the increased current draw. If you are having problems seeing at night in the city with the lowbeams, you may have a night vision impairment(no slight against you or anything), or headlights not aimed right.

No slight at all, that's why I asked...
I did some checking just now and, yeah they look like they are illegal. That figures.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry dude, didnt mean to ruin your day,lol. May try the silverstars, and see what you think. Ive thought about adding foglights to mine, however convert them to HID. I'd only use them offroad though.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been using piaa extreme whites for a while now and theyre a real good bulb, not cheap but definitely worth the money IMO

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PIAA is not cheap. Especially the xtremes. I really like the specs on them though. I’m going to find something as close to those specs and go with that. I don’t think bluish and purpleish tints to the light is not really to my taste anyway. I saw these “superdooper” Sylvania Ultra something’s at walmart and there they are still like $40 to 50 so if your going to spend the money that way anyway, might as well get what you like IMO.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get a pair of European spec. H4 KJ headlamps.
Those alone would be an upgrade over the stock North American headlamps.

SO would I!!!!! plus they have the cool little parking light inside the headlamp.

of course I would also like to add EU spec taillamps (with rear fogs) and wing repeater lights as well.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
PIAA is not cheap. Especially the xtremes. I really like the specs on them though. I’m going to find something as close to those specs and go with that. I don’t think bluish and purpleish tints to the light is not really to my taste anyway. I saw these “superdooper” Sylvania Ultra something’s at walmart and there they are still like $40 to 50 so if your going to spend the money that way anyway, might as well get what you like IMO.

I am very happy with my PIAA's ... I love the clean white light, increased distance and I'm very happy with the bulb life. My drivers side lamp has been burning since Nov. 2008. The passenger side failed due to moisture, I had to disassemble and reseal the headlight housing. Since then (last winter) no problems.

Secretly I think the little blue dot in the centre is just freekin sexy :D

P.S. It doesn't tint the light at all, you just see a small circle of blue in the centre of the bulb .... it's not even a defined circle actually just the suggestion of blue if you will ...lmao

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If yuo really get into reading about headlight bulbs you'll find PIAAs are not rated that high
Better ones out there

Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try vvme lights.. up here they arnt illegal, ive seen it done and done it.... actually most do it without projectors.. just watch yourself. I had them in my lifted sonoma and got flashed but once i lowered it i had no problems.. but when the light is only 2.5/3 ft off the ground then its not too bothersome.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Need to read up on this guys site
its very "enlightning"
Daniel Stern lighting
tells why the "blue" lights aren't any brighter etc
he also sells the best bulbs

Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i should add.. i dont have blue, per say... i have 8000k bulbs, but in 55w ballasts in a clear glass housing...
You must be registered for see images attach

those are not my brights

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i should add.. i dont have blue, per say... i have 8000k bulbs, but in 55w ballasts in a clear glass housing...

those are not my brights
Laws in Canada are different then the US,HID in a halogen housing is illegal and HID brights are illegal no matter what here.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've run pretty much ever bulb available except for the Piaa's or H.I.D.
I've been in a KJ with the Piaa bulbs and the light output is excellent..
They are on par with Hella 100/80 watt bulbs and usually can get them
at a discounted price of about $65.00 per pair which is a great price as
they regularly sell for about $115.00 per pair.
But I am seriously thinking of importing a pair or E-codeH4 headlamps
with the city lights built in as gtommec pointed out.
The electrically height adjustable versions would really be sweet to have.

Right now I have Phillips X-treme Power and they work pretty good as well!
And the price was unbeatable. $9.95 per pair!
Jen and I drive with our head lamps at full power regardless of the time of
day. So we tend to go through at least 2 pair per year. I also replace in
pairs when one bulb burns out.

The best bulbs / headlamps I have ever used were French Cibie.
They were H4 and then had a built in driving lamp / lens with H1
bulb which is superior to an H3 bulb.
And on par with those were Italian Carrello with the same setup.