Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheSauce05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it in the search. Jeep is a 2002 Liberty with A/T and 4WD. I'm pretty sure some of you have had the same situation I've got. The little plastic slider in the A/T shifter has broken. I've found out that the only way to replace it is to replace the entire shifter and the cheapest one I've found is around $50. Anyone been able to replace that thing or cover it with something that looks good? I was actually able to take a thin strip of black plastic and glue in there that looked really good for a while, but then it kind of got scratched up and it finally broke in the same place the old one did. I thought of maybe some sort of manual shift boot, but I don't know where to start. Thanks!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it in the search. Jeep is a 2002 Liberty with A/T and 4WD. I'm pretty sure some of you have had the same situation I've got. The little plastic slider in the A/T shifter has broken. I've found out that the only way to replace it is to replace the entire shifter and the cheapest one I've found is around $50. Anyone been able to replace that thing or cover it with something that looks good? I was actually able to take a thin strip of black plastic and glue in there that looked really good for a while, but then it kind of got scratched up and it finally broke in the same place the old one did. I thought of maybe some sort of manual shift boot, but I don't know where to start. Thanks!

Pics? I bet it can't be all that bad to the point where you have to replace the entire shift assembly...