Help-Wrong Lights stay on in 4PT, N and 4Lo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, let me know, I am planning on the same. Although the thought of my wet garage floor keeps me from doing it.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to remove the position sensor yesterday and it turned out to be real easy. I used a 1 1/2" socket and a 18" breaker bar. The socket was not very deep - maybe 1 1/2" overall length. After removing the wire connector from the position sensor, I put the socket over the unit, being careful not to break the connector on the top of the position sensor. I then was able to use the breaker bar, from the back side of the vehicle and connect it into the socket. There was enough room to loosen the sensor. Once loose, I could unscrew the sensor by hand.

It is easier then I may have described it above.

Now, I did not have a new sensor, so I cleaned the old one up and reinstalled it. This did not fix the problem.

So if someone has the part number for the transfer case position sensor, please post it. The dealer in Northbrook Il want $109 for this part! I am going down to Joliet tomorrow and that dealer is usually a little less expensive for parts.

If this fails, I will be in touch Offrovering.

Gary

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the postion sensor today. Took all of 10 minutes after I got the Jeep on the lift. I did reuse the o ring since the new sensor did not have one. And best of all - the problem is now corrected!

dnm45227

Reaction score
well my '05 rennie just developed the same issue, good to know it's only a 10 min fix. did anyone ever nail down that part number?

by the way hi everyone, been a while since i posted last.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part number that I used was: 5083138AA

My Libby is an '04, with a 3.7. The transfer case is a Command Trac.

Bring your VIN when you order the part.

List price was $67.75

Gary

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet, so a 1.5 inch socket fits over enough to break the sensor free?

Glad you found the sensor around list price, I will have to attack this. I was hoping that playing with the sensor once out would also resolve but it sounds like you didnt have such luck.

thanks for coming back to post, I will have to snag a socket that big and go for it.

dnm45227

Reaction score
thanks all! good luck on yours offrovering, i'm waiting till spring thaw to tackle mine.