Help-Wrong Lights stay on in 4PT, N and 4Lo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night we were coming home from the airport late during some snow showers so I was shifting between 2WD and "Part Time" several times in slippery spots on the road. My 2004 Liberty Sport has the Command Trac and auto transmission and 86,000 miles.

After shifting a few times, I noticed the dash light is on indicating "part time" when the shift lever is in normal 2WD. IF I move the Command Trac shift lever to "Part time" there is no dash light on. IF I move the shift lever to "N" the dash light for 4LO comes on.

I checked today and the shift lever is indeed correct. It is as if the switches that operate the dash lights have all shifted one position.

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to fix it?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the weather was decent here right after christmas so I tried to unplug and clean my connections again. same crap.

if you are unsure where to look. if you are laying under the jeep... your head up by the bell housing, you will see the transfer case, reach up around the exhaust and you will see a little electrical plug on the top right side of the tcase. you can pull and unplug it.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have verified the following: When the lever is in 2wd, the vehicle is actually in 2wd. When the lever is in 4WD, the vehicle is actually in 4WD. It is the light that is illuminating incorrectly. As soon as I can get the lLberty on the lift - maybe Saturday, I will try unplugging and then reconnecting the postion sensor and see if that will make a difference.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont need to even put it on lift. if you can slide under your jeep when on the ground, you can pull it out.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the car on the lift tonight (happen to have one in the garage) and disconnected and reconnected the position indicator switch plug wires. No change. What do I try next? Is there any way to adjust this?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can try to disconnect again, pull the actual sensor out of the tcase, inspect and clean, then try again. more than likely it is bad. mine seems to only do it in cold climate.

I think after three years of this thing being crappy I may just put a new switch in, not sure I care though, its an idiot light

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know how I can get this out in the spot it is in and the size of the socket that will be needed to remove the switch. In the mean time I was able to get the light to go out - disconnected the plug wires and secured them out of the way. I agree, it is an idiot light and one can easily tell what position the shift lever is in.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not know how I can get this out in the spot it is in and the size of the socket that will be needed to remove the switch. In the mean time I was able to get the light to go out - disconnected the plug wires and secured them out of the way. I agree, it is an idiot light and one can easily tell what position the shift lever is in.
You might want to get it fixed soon,that switch does more then just light up a light in the dash.It effects your ABS(if equipped) and SRS system(in 4low only).In '02's it also affects the PCM as far as timing and such(to gain 35HP and 40lbs-ft of torque) in 4low only.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok but correct my thinking if needed.

The pcm, and or any other system that depends on that info, is actually using it at the wrong time. Meaning, when the tcase is in 2hi, yet the switch is bad, so its telling the systems it is in 4hi (part-time) so now everything is running/operating under wrong assumptions.

But if you unplug the switch, the pcm now defaults to regular 2hi, which is what you are driving in. So essentially the only time you are needing it is in 4hi? But its actually better on systems to unplug it while in 2hi.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealer this afternoon......a replacement position indicator is $101! Anyone know of a less expensive alternative?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a 67 dollar part, or there about.

was that for install or just the part?

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was for the part only at Fields Jeep in Northbrook, IL. $67 seems high but much more reasonable.....I will look for the part on the internet.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been quoted 65 plus tax or there about by both places around me. I would bet it is closer to 50 or 55 bucks, but whatever. if you cant find it that much cheaper, let me know, you can paypal me and ill buy one and send it.

If the weather is halfway decent I am going to try to take mine off. I went out last night and tried but it was stuck pretty good so I soaked in pb blaster, maybe try again. my thinking is that the sensor is actually a little spring loaded tip inside, my guess is that this tip gets sticky and doesnt move freely. Maybe taking it out and pushing the tip and working it free will get it moving again.

by the way, the large diameter bolt thing you are seeing, that is not the size of the thread. the actual unit threads in on maybe 1/2inch, that large thing you see is like 1.5inch or so.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you live....anywhere around Chicago by chance?

I have a garage outside Joliet with a 4 post lift .....makes getting under the Jeep very easy, dry and warm. I can also likely come up with a crow foot wrench to loosen up that sensor if I can find out the correct size. That is if you are interested and you can get here.

Gary

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cleveland, damn, that would have been great. I have a feeling mine is siezed on pretty good.

let me know if you end up wanting the part shipped out. I don't know who the parts people are for these vehicles, I would assume someone sells parts from wrecks, or there is a good indie that can get OEM parts?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can also likely come up with a crow foot wrench to loosen up that sensor if I can find out the correct size.

bump, hey man, did you ever attempt this? I cant find a crow foot to fit, and mine is seized pretty good. I have it sprayed and soaking in PB right now. I would like to get it off, and the linkage and get this figured out, dont like how it is driving now, shifting is crap.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not tried it yet. My power steering rack blew last week. The Jeep is in the shop getting fixed right now. Will look at this weekend if the weather is better.