help with my 2004 jeep liberty sport. just bought it!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apollokids

Reaction score
So I just purchased a 2004 jeep liberty sport 3.7l 5 speed manual. It's got 120k miles. Just recently I was driving down the road. Coming from a stop light on red I shifted into 2nd and was hitting over 2k rpms and it jerk ed back and forth. I decided to go into 3rd next and sure enough exactly a lil over 2k rpms it was jerking back and forth. No smoke was coming out the back. It's very smooth at idle (well at first). So I pulled into an advanced to get codes read and it came up o2 sensor. Next day I did rive it around for hours np. Then the next after I let the jeep warm up around 2 miles later it does it again. It's like it doesn't want to exceed 2k rpms. I can smoothly shift into any gear to bypass it if I do it right at 2k rpms and not go over at all. So I took to a garage and cam sensor light code popped. Got it replaced and on the way home about 20min later it happens again coming from a red light. Every time it's random except I do know it's after jeep has warmed up and been running for around 20min or more. I now have at same mechanic which I fully trust and cam sensor is popping same code again with o2 code. They decide to keep it for the day and test drive. It now is trying to die when idle and when u drive it won't have much power, at low rpms it will shake like there's no power and it wants to cut off. It has died at idle 2x now. They said it's the pcm as they have worked on plenty chrysler and jeeps. Any help please. No warranty covers it so it's up to me. Sorry such a long post. I love my jeep but need to get it figured out asap cause I'm not rich lol.

apollokids

Reaction score
Edit: I'm at work so will try to respond to any questions asap.
Any else have this sort of issue. I've seen similar ones all over Internet but with no fixes. Most say either cam sensor crank sensor fuel rail fuel filter clogged cat or pcm.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did you replace those sensors with Mopar/NTK ones? The KJ, for O2 and cam position ones usually rejects aftermarket ones. Just an idea. Those symptoms seem like a cam position sensor.

apollokids

Reaction score
Umm I don't remember. They were at advanced. I'll look them up online to see. But literally 45 min after new cam installed it happened again. Is it possible pcm? I just wanna know for sure before I pay a lot of money next week. Thanks for the reply tho. I'll check next 45min

apollokids

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I'll put another in of that brand u mentioned. I'll keep post updated. Any other ideas anyone let me know. Thanks a bunch so far hoosier

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which code exactly?
it only does this after it warms up? if so that combined with an O2 sensor code (FYI, you have multiple O2 sensors, so the code is important) makes me think an open loop vs. closed loop issue, and also would point to a messed up O2 sensor. i've seen various vehicles do some of the most bizarre crap when an O2 sensor goes wonky, even to the point of not throwing a code when the vehicle's running like a steaming dog pile.

One of the rules i've always abided by when buying a used car:
expect do all kinds of maintenance on it almost immediately...
(if applicable)
plugs, cap, rotor, wires, all fluids, brakes, "disposable" sensors (O2 is one of them)