cam shaft sensor problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NeverEndingKJissues

Reaction score
hello all,

a few months ago my 2005 jeep liberty started to have a weird issue while driving. it would basically lose power for a half second while driving uphill, but after letting off the gas it would get power back and be fine. the problem escalated to actually stalling while going uphill at around 50-60 mph. the car would fire back up just fine, so had the codes pulled and it came back with p3044, intermittent camshaft sensor? I went ahead and replaced the camshaft sensor thinking it would fix the problem, but the next day the car stalled on my drive to work. I went and pulled the code again and got the same p3044 code. I'm assuming it wasn't a bad part, but I really don't know. I'm at a loss as to what to do, I don't have money to have the problem diagnosed by the dealership, let alone the money to have it fixed. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I have very limited knowledge as far as cars go, I did notice on the TJ forum that excessive clearance could be an issue. But the sensor is only held in by 1 bolt, which I cinched down as best I could. Is the clearance referring to something else? Could it be the wiring harness connected to the censor? or the wiring itself?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!
Did you buy a new Mopar Camshaft sensor or what brand did you install?
Did you clear all the codes immediately after the install, before driving it?

NeverEndingKJissues

Reaction score
I installed a duralast, Also I didn't clear the codes myself, the light was just off after I replaced the sensor. Though that's not saying much as the check engine light usually goes off overnight, and then comes back on whenever the problem arises again. I did take it to the shop once before to have the code pulled after the issue occurred but the check engine light was off and they said there were no codes stored. I found that strange because I thought the codes were stored until manually cleared?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The word around here is to purchase Mopar sensors, as some of the cheaper after market stuff = codes/headaches returning ! :thumbsdown:
Personally, I would think about trying to return that one and get a Mopar.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a durmast,...

The word around here is to purchase Mopar sensors, as some of the cheaper after market stuff = codes/headaches returning ! :thumbsdown:
Personally, I would think about trying to return that one and get a Mopar.

Here's what an aftermarket crank sensor looked like - and it was installed by a dealer! (I was out of town and at the mercy of the dealership :favorites68: )

You must be registered for see images

The sensor was too long and was rubbing on the crank timing ring. When it failed after about 3000 miles I went to my local dealer and got one from the parts department. So get a Mopar sensor - electronic sensors from aftermarket manufacturers tend to be a problem sadly :shrug:

Bob

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
(censored) :shakehead:Hard to believe that a dealer would install an aftermarket!! :Nonono:[-X

I'd like to fix the techs Jeep too ..:Grenade:

By the way, your photo makes me nervous, two lug nuts are missing! ha ha.. :gr_grin:

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(censored) :shakehead:Hard to believe that a dealer would install an aftermarket!! :Nonono:[-X

I'd like to fix the techs Jeep too ..:Grenade:

By the way, your photo makes me nervous, two lug nuts are missing! ha ha.. :gr_grin:

I was in Memphis on a business trip and the Jeep dealer there had to go to Arkansas to get the cam sensor - and couldn't locate a crank sensor so they went to NAPA to get it. Said it had the same warranty as a Mopar part - but what good would that do me when I'm in Ohio??? :blah: Oh well, it was a 10 minute repair - just frustrating.

Those 'missing' lug nuts are on my spare hanging off the tail gate :icon_lol:

Bob