Help....spare tire...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So I went to take off my spare to wax under there, and I got the 2/3 lug nuts off, and the third one is a lock...and I can't find any special tool anywhere. I bought it used. Any thoughts????

Thanks.:)

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you take the jack out and look there? That's where mine was hidden under the jack by the previous owner. If not, I remember seeing posts on here concerning this.
Bruce

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Check inside the console.
Not just under the lid, INSIDE the console. Also, the net in the cargo area, also the glovebox, also where Bruce said.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did you take the jack out and look there? That's where mine was hidden under the jack by the previous owner. If not, I remember seeing posts on here concerning this.
Bruce

Checked the jack assembly....but I'll check again...:)

Check inside the console.
Not just under the lid, INSIDE the console. Also, the net in the cargo area, also the glovebox, also where Bruce said.

Inside do you mean just look into it, clear it out or unscrewing stuff???
Mine was hiding in the glovebox...

Maybe mine fell behind....maybe I'll take that off....:)

Thanks everyone....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sears has the special sockets for removing locking lugnuts,look in the impact socket area($40 for a set of 3).They work also.

I'll keep that in mind. Would Autozone or NAPA carry anything I could use???

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one on my first car that was a cheap locking set and got narfed up. I couldn't get it loose with the special socket.

Took it to a mechanic, and he welded a nut on there and took it off for me.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
HJ....did you get it off yet?

Another alternative would be to go to a tire shop or a good independant garage and they will have the tool to get it off.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not yet. I'm going to go buy the tool later today.

Good thing I caught this when I really didn't need the spare.... :D

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind. Would Autozone or NAPA carry anything I could use???

yea they should. just ask for a wheel lock removal kit. when i took my wheel lock off i just found the right adapter. attatched it to a 1/2 inch drive wrench and it came right off with no problems. now i just have it on there just loose enough to remove it with my fingers

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy had the same problem and he bought stripped lug nut removers from Harbor Freight for 4 bucks for a set of two differient sizes. We had to use pretty much one per lug nut b/c once we got the nut off we couldn't get the locking nut out of the tool but it works. Pretty much some Heat and hammering would help remove the nut but we didn't have torch on us.

The sears set tjkj2002 i saw priced at $50 some bucks when I check it out and would have everything you need but high price tag to use only once. I did check Autozone and Advanced Auto too when we needed the tool but they didn't have a set with a large enough removal tool.

So before you buy. Test out the size.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Rudy...the lock isn't stripped...I just can't find the special tool for it.

4 ace's

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could do like we did before they made a tool to remove wheel locks . take a half inch drive socket a little bit bigger then the lock tap it over the nut with a hammer and then spin it off wth a ratchet or bracker bar. i still do it in my shop

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used vice grips as a last resort before, just be sure not to squeeze it too hard and smush it, and also used a 4-way once, tapping it over the lugnut just enough to be able to twist it.